Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you find this sexist? watch

ReputationRep:
    Scenario 1.
    I have an old Irish teacher at my school, he refers to me and the other girls in his class as "dear" but the boys by first name.

I really don't find it sexist, but I came across the "everyday sexism project" website and I was reading through some entries and there are so many entries similar to this and the women find it VERY offensive.

I don't see it as sexist, he is a nice teacher and very respectful us all (boys and the girls). Also, I sense it's perhaps an Irish thing

Scenario 2.

I don't find this sexist either, inappropriate maybe considering the context but "misogynistic and sexist" and claiming he was "eroticising" her picture is pushing it bit to far in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think ;dear' is sexist, just quite..idk condescending depending on the tone

I don't find it sexist...maybe he wants to be more formal with the boys because he doesn't like them?

ReputationRep:
    Personally I don't find either sexist at all. The second is inappropriate like you said, but not sexist. That said my opinion doesn't matter because I'm a straight cis male and I should be checking my privilege.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    I don't think ;dear' is sexist, just quite..idk condescending depending on the tone
    I suppose I understand, but it's usually "Make sure you bring in your essay next lesson my dear" *strong irish accent*

I don't know, I understand there is a difference as he doesn't call the boys anything but their name. but Idk, it's not really a big deal...:/

But looking on that website, the women were so angry so it made me think...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    I suppose I understand, but it's usually "Make sure you bring in your essay next lesson my dear" *strong irish accent*

I don't know, I understand there is a difference as he doesn't call the boys anything but their name. but Idk, it's not really a big deal...:/

But looking on that website, the women were so angry so it made me think...
    Ah okay I understand.

Yeah I agree it's kinda a fine line, I wouldn't call it sexist but I do agree it's a bit..odd..to do it.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's sexist to call girls dear, older people are just set in their ways, same way they might call guys son, as long as they're not treating you any differently. I guess it could come if as a bit weird if he's a teacher but idk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zargabaath)
    Personally I don't find either sexist at all. The second is inappropriate like you said, but not sexist. That said my opinion doesn't matter because I'm a straight cis male and I should be checking my privilege.
    Lol XD Yes, yes you should be! Every morning and night, sometimes afternoon or early evening if you feel necessary.

I agree, not sexist.

ReputationRep:
    as much as I hate feminism, it *is* kind of sexist to use terms of endearment only towards one gender as if to belittle them without realising...but with that said, I wouldn't say it was treatment that ought to be punished - just discouraged

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blondie987)
    I don't think it's sexist to call girls dear, older people are just set in their ways, same way they might call guys son, as long as they're not treating you any differently. I guess it could come if as a bit weird if he's a teacher but idk
    No no, he is lovely It's not weird like that.

I just meant in the sense that there is a difference. But I have never seen it anything other than just a kind way of speaking to us, I just don't find it sexist. I'm shocked that anyone would.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I'd be a bit sad if my teacher called all the girls "my dear" but not me.

ReputationRep:
    Scenario 1.
    I have an old Irish teacher at my school, he refers to me and the other girls in his class as "dear" but the boys by first name.

I really don't find it sexist, but I came across the "everyday sexism project" website and I was reading through some entries and there are so many entries similar to this and the women find it VERY offensive.

I don't see it as sexist, he is a nice teacher and very respectful us all (boys and the girls). Also, I sense it's perhaps an Irish thing

Scenario 2.

I don't find this sexist either, inappropriate maybe considering the context but "misogynistic and sexist" and claiming he was "eroticising" her picture is pushing it bit to far in my opinion.

Don't go on that website. Please.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing wrong with that...I had a teacher who'd call us all 'baby', 'beautiful', 'gorgeous', etc :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepysnooze)
    as much as I hate feminism, it *is* kind of sexist to use terms of endearment only towards one gender as if to belittle them without realising...but with that said, I wouldn't say it was treatment that ought to be punished - just discouraged
    I don't hate feminism, but it's when feminism focuses of petty things like this....

I get that there is a "pyramid" and this is really low, and more serious feminist issues are somewhere on the top.

But then again, it is a term of endearment and saying it's "belittling" a gender is feminist perspective, it's not really fact. Y'know?

ReputationRep:
    Scenario 1.

Scenario 2.

Is that actually you in that picture?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    I'd be a bit sad if my teacher called all the girls "my dear" but not me.
    Aw poor you :console:

I find it really lovely tbh, he is a really lovely teacher!
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Scenario 1.

Scenario 2.

Nahh it's just a Irish thing

Didn't watch clip

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think it's okay if you take it in a friendly way, he's probably just tying to be nice!
    I had a boss once that only ever called me babe, flower or lovely but we were quite friendly and he was really nice so it was alright.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Biryani007)
    Nothing wrong with that...I had a teacher who'd call us all 'baby', 'beautiful', 'gorgeous', etc :rofl:
    Teachers name wasn't Jimmy, was it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Don't go on that website. Please.
    I can't lie...some of the stories make me feel like it's a female version of the Red pill (is that what it's called? idk)

Some of the stories on there are sexist, there is no denying it. But idk, stuff like this.. :/

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.