Turn on thread page Beta

Do you find this sexist? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    Scenario 1.
    I have an old Irish teacher at my school, he refers to me and the other girls in his class as "dear" but the boys by first name.

I really don't find it sexist, but I came across the "everyday sexism project" website and I was reading through some entries and there are so many entries similar to this and the women find it VERY offensive.

I don't see it as sexist, he is a nice teacher and very respectful us all (boys and the girls). Also, I sense it's perhaps an Irish thing

Scenario 2.

I don't find this sexist either, inappropriate maybe considering the context but "misogynistic and sexist" and claiming he was "eroticising" her picture is pushing it bit to far in my opinion.
    He's old and from a different generation. He's using it as a term of endearment. Leave the poor man alone ffs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olawungaa)
    He's old and from a different generation. He's using it as a term of endearment. Leave the poor man alone ffs. 3rd wave feminism is absolute cancer.
    I don't have a problem with it, at all! I just felt like seeing what others would say.

ReputationRep:
    O God, the youtube comment
    ' I just don't trust anything that bleeds for five days and doesn't die.' xD

ReputationRep:
    Not really. I had an algebra male teacher that used to call me "baby" or "sweetheart". It is not meant to be offensive just like a female teacher calls you "cutey pie".
    Calling students compliments are offensive?
    Since when? It is only offensive if you misinterprets as something offensive and go really deep into it.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    I wouldn't read into it

ReputationRep:
    Scenario 1 I wouldn't call sexist no.

Scenario 2 I also would't call sexist, but definitely unprofessional.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Macy1998)
    Not really. I had an algebra male teacher that used to call me "baby" or "sweetheart". It is not meant to be offensive just like a female teacher calls you "cutey pie".
    Calling students compliments are offensive?
    Since when? It is only offensive if you misinterprets as something offensive and go really deep into it.
    Baby sounds creepy to me, sweetheart sounds fine.

ReputationRep:
    No. People will kick up a fuss and get offended by anything these days.

ReputationRep:

Everything is offensive nowadays. Political correctness gone mad.

ReputationRep:
    From how you've described him, I wouldn't say he's being sexist at all. He's being nice. Can't a bloke be nice without being flamed by feminists these days?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.