Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm very stressed. I can't choose between politics and IR at Nottingham and political economy at Birmingham.

ReputationRep:
    Defo choose Birmingham!

Both are very good and Russell Group so no need to stress. I'd recommend having a look round both and seeing which you get a better feel from and which course you prefer as it really is a personal choice.

Personally I'd choose Birmingham as its slightly higher on the league tables and I think it has a much nicer campus + whilst its in the leafy suburbs it has a train station on campus so its really easy to get into the busy city centre which is amazing!!! Also Birmingham has number 1 graduate employment in the UK 2015 and its invested a lot in its careers department and is especially well recognised by businesses, so stats would say better job prospects. Both are strong though! Birmingham is the second biggest city in the UK so I feel there's more going on. Some people on Student room do say some areas of Brum are quite rough but this can only be expected from such a big city ( you find the same in London and Manchester) and there are lots of lovely areas too such as Edgbaston where the uni is located as well as places like the Bull Ring! When I visited Nottingham I thought the boating lake was pretty but I felt more at home at Birmingham and found its Redbrick buildings more impressive. I also loved what a strong sports reputation Brum has on top of its academic reputation.

Hope I've helped but I know this decision is very subjective and I'm bias

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katya11en)
    Defo choose Birmingham!

Both are very good and Russell Group so no need to stress. I'd recommend having a look round both and seeing which you get a better feel from and which course you prefer as it really is a personal choice.

Personally I'd choose Birmingham as its slightly higher on the league tables and I think it has a much nicer campus + whilst its in the leafy suburbs it has a train station on campus so its really easy to get into the busy city centre which is amazing!!! Also Birmingham has number 1 graduate employment in the UK 2015 and its invested a lot in its careers department and is especially well recognised by businesses, so stats would say better job prospects. Both are strong though! Birmingham is the second biggest city in the UK so I feel there's more going on. Some people on Student room do say some areas of Brum are quite rough but this can only be expected from such a big city ( you find the same in London and Manchester) and there are lots of lovely areas too such as Edgbaston where the uni is located as well as places like the Bull Ring! When I visited Nottingham I thought the boating lake was pretty but I felt more at home at Birmingham and found its Redbrick buildings more impressive. I also loved what a strong sports reputation Brum has on top of its academic reputation.

Hope I've helped but I know this decision is very subjective and I'm bias

Lovely to hear so many nice things about my home town for once, and couldn't agree more!!

There are some amazing areas to explore outside of the immediate uni environment - Kings Heath and Moseley are both fairly near and lovely places. I think some students who don't want to live in Selly Oak choose to live there.

I've just applied for IR MSc at Birmingham, fingers crossed

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 7, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.