Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hi,

I'm looking for advice on what to do in this situation. From the start of our relationship my gf has been very clear on her issues but I have yet to tell her about my own.

For example I have asperger's syndrome and have recently suffered through a 6 month period of diagnosed major depression, which I don't feel ready to talk about.

At the same time I feel really guilty that my gf has the confidence and strength to tell me up front even before I started going out with her about her issues but I don't feel ready to talk about mine.

In this situation, what do I do?

ReputationRep:
    Hide everything, I am a firm believer that a woman cannot be trusted to know the truth.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the person. How do you think, as objectively as you can, that she would respond?
    Would it help things by telling her, or hinder?

(Original post by hellodave5)
    Depends on the person. How do you think, as objectively as you can, that she would respond?
    Would it help things by telling her, or hinder?
    I don't know, that is what scares me the most - my parents know everything & infact helped me through that period of my life and have supported me throughout but I don't know about her, I don't want it to end our relationship which is why I'm scared.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whorace)
    Hide everything, I am a firm believer that a woman cannot be trusted to know the truth.
    A woman or all women?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blondie987)
    A woman or all women?
    Umm... Freudian slip. It's getting too personal in here *parachutes out of window*

ReputationRep:
    You should be as open as you comfortably can, but I must emphasise comfortably.

If the girl likes you though, I am sure she won't give a hoot what condition you have.

I have a gf who doesn't give a damn I've got ADD( even if I can be very intense and don't shut up :P ) seriously though.

When you're ready to tell her you should

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Blondie987)
    A woman or all women?
    1 woman - I've been with her for about 2 months now and I'm starting to love her and believe she really is the one for me.........

(Original post by esanders)
    You should be as open as you comfortably can, but I must emphasise comfortably.

If the girl likes you though, I am sure she won't give a hoot what condition you have.

I have a gf who doesn't give a damn I've got ADD( even if I can be very intense and don't shut up :P ) seriously though.

When you're ready to tell her you should

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to offer you serious advice. If you cannot trust someone with important details like this, you do not have a relationship, you have a lie.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 1, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.