The Student Room Group

Law at sheffield university vs law at city university which one is better career wise

I m holding offers from both Sheffield and city but don't know which to choose
Reply 1
Sheffield
Reply 2
Original post by Shumaya
Sheffield

Ok :smile: but why ? I mean reason
Reply 3
Sheffield because Russel Group
Reply 5
Original post by post-grad-u-ate
they are connected to the Inns of Court School of Law for having a monopoly on teaching the BVC / BPTC for training barristers

what does this even mean
Reply 6
City as you will likely know is highly regarded in law education as they are connected to the Inns of Court School of Law for having a monopoly on teaching the BVC / BPTC for training barristers, which is now available in many universities but City still retains that prestige.

City is becoming a part of the University of London as of 2016.

City, you would be in the middle of things, right in there for the best internships, sitting in at the Royal Courts of Justice, House of Commons, LSE public lectures etc.

I personally would go for City but it is entirely your personal preference.

Thanks mate. Personally I want to go to city you know because london <3 but I was worried for academic reasons thanks this was very helpful :smile:
Reply 8
The training to become a barrister was taught at one of the four Inns of Court and then they outsourced the teaching to City University which made it the go-to place to get this training and then it went out to other universities but CIty has that connection to the Inns of Court.

It made studying at City for legal education up there with Oxford and Cambridge.

I admit to not knowing too much about this but from the little I do know I believe this to be so.

Not even close, lol. For starters, this is not the LLB, it's what follows the LPC to qualify for the bar. Secondly, I am not sure if what you say is true, but even if it is, it's irrelevant. The LPC is taught at the University of Law, but that university is not even close to be considered one of the best in Law (not even close). The fact that it teaches that course doesn't mean it's ultra prestigious for the LLB too.

Thirdly, Sheffield (unless you really prefer London, that is)

Posted from TSR Mobile
It made studying at City for legal education up there with Oxford and Cambridge

Have you really just compared City too Oxbridge, why on earth are giving such retarded advice, City is nothing compared the the likes of Sheffield and if you think otherwise you are such a bitter student.

Original post by Anisar95
I m holding offers from both Sheffield and city but don't know which to choose

On topic OP, Sheffield on many Chamber studies shows it provides the largest amount of students to national firms, If you are looking to be a barrister/solicitor the decision is not even questionable.
The training to become a barrister was taught at one of the four Inns of Court and then they outsourced the teaching to City University which made it the go-to place to get this training and then it went out to other universities but CIty has that connection to the Inns of Court.

It made studying at City for legal education up there with Oxford and Cambridge.

I admit to not knowing too much about this but from the little I do know I believe this to be so.

Are you actually a lawyer? Your advice is ridiculous. Only a small proportion of lawyers go on to take the Bar.

OP if you wnat to study in London then go for it, but it isnt for everyone.
Sheffield is perfectly fine, plus it is much cheaper place to study.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending