Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Suggestions on Dealing with Possible Anxiety. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey all.

So, these past few days, I'd say for about a week or two at the most; I've been experiencing what I can only describe as possible symptoms of Anxiety.
    For example sharp stomach pains lasting days at a time, trouble sleeping, near constant worrying about various uni-related matters, to the point I get really worked-up about what may seem like really small things to others..

I'm just wondering if anyone else is or has ever dealt with similar things and if so, how do you cope with it and prevent it intefering too much, with your everyday life?

All suggestions/advice hugely appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    There are a lot of things you can do! It's good that you're aware of yourself enough to realise that something has changed, it means it's easier to nip in the bud.

What I'd suggest doing (and what helps me with university related worries) is make a list of things you need to do and when they need to be done by. Then prioritise. With said list make a loose schedule and make sure you schedule down time (!!) so you can hang out with friends or do something you enjoy, exercise, or just to watch some TV. This is super important. If you're always go go go, then you have no time to chill out, and being chilled out is important to dealing with anxiety.

I know some people also find mindfulness meditation really good when it comes to helping them deal with anxiety. I think there are tutorials on YouTube that might help.

Additionally, talk to your tutors about whatever it is that's making you anxious. Is it an exam? Coursework? Presentation? Ask for tips on how to get the best marks. Also, enlist the help of your coursemates for anything material-wise you don't understand, sometimes they explain it better than the lecturers themselves and this might help your anxiety (if it's related to not understanding something entirely...).

Other than schedules, down time, asking for help and mindfulness meditation, I'm not sure what to suggest without knowing what sort of things are spiking your anxiety, but I hope I've helped a little!

Feel better soon. :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pathway)
    There are a lot of things you can do! It's good that you're aware of yourself enough to realise that something has changed, it means it's easier to nip in the bud.

What I'd suggest doing (and what helps me with university related worries) is make a list of things you need to do and when they need to be done by. Then prioritise. With said list make a loose schedule and make sure you schedule down time (!!) so you can hang out with friends or do something you enjoy, exercise, or just to watch some TV. This is super important. If you're always go go go, then you have no time to chill out, and being chilled out is important to dealing with anxiety.

I know some people also find mindfulness meditation really good when it comes to helping them deal with anxiety. I think there are tutorials on YouTube that might help.

Additionally, talk to your tutors about whatever it is that's making you anxious. Is it an exam? Coursework? Presentation? Ask for tips on how to get the best marks. Also, enlist the help of your coursemates for anything material-wise you don't understand, sometimes they explain it better than the lecturers themselves and this might help your anxiety (if it's related to not understanding something entirely...).

Other than schedules, down time, asking for help and mindfulness meditation, I'm not sure what to suggest without knowing what sort of things are spiking your anxiety, but I hope I've helped a little!

Feel better soon. :hugs:
    What this human said is pretty much spot on, be mindful of your thoughts, so you can become aware EXACTLY why you're worrying, then deal with the problem

ReputationRep:
    I would say ( as someone who was recently being treated for anxiety) that you should look at the following strategies and techniques

Google them yourself

But have a look at these

Try a worry tree.

Essentially, it goes like this
    What are you worrying about
    Can you do anything about it
    No, let it go
    Yes, do something about it

If you're worried about uni work, do it, sit with a coffee/tea and crack on

Also, take a few minutes out of every day to have a worry time!
    A time when you allow yourself to worry( this sounds backwards but by having this time, you know you don't have to worry during the day, because you can worry in this period) it helps you reflect on your day too.

Also, try some PMR or deep breathing exercises
    Especially if you're struggling to sleep
    PMR or progressive muscle relaxation focusses your mind on tensing and releasing muscles in your body, not only does this relax all your muscles, it means because you're focussing on your excercise you aren't worry.
    Hope that helps

But if the self help strategies aren't working
    Or you are starting to feel overwhelmed
    See your doctor
    They will know how to treat you best

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 1, 1970
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.