Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm going to study psychology and need to choose between University of York and Nottingham.
    I tried to compare these two unis and I couldn't really decide anything.
    I liked environment of York and department looks so nice when I visited on open day. Also distance between lecture room and accommodation was great. York's course content seems slightly more interesting to me but a bit more intensive than Nottingham(not sure but heard from my friend).
    Nottingham has beautiful campus and I like the accommodation. According to my friend, I would have more free time if I choose to study at Nottingham. This is quite a big deal to me as I'm an international student, I use different language and it normally take more time to finish essays or other assignments.
    And I found that there are no difference in prestige so it's so difficult to decide where to study psychology for 3 years.

Anyone who can compare these two unis or can tell how's studying at York/Nottingham?

ReputationRep:
    Both have excellent psychology departments and I would imagine the intensity would be similar at both. When I was applying three years ago York ranked above Nottingham and had I the option at the time I would have chosen York. But I'm not exactly sure where they stand against each other right now. I studied at Nottingham and was very pleased with my experience there. I had no trouble with deadlines but it depends on your third year modules options. I had friends who chose modules which had little/no coursework in their third year so they could focus on their final year project.

I picked pretty much the furthest accommodation from the psych department for my first year but it wasn't too bad, around a 15 minute walk. I'm sorry I can't provide too much direct comparison between the two, but you are welcome to ask me any questions you have about Nottingham. Either choice would be a great decision though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neptuner)
    Both have excellent psychology departments and I would imagine the intensity would be similar at both. When I was applying three years ago York ranked above Nottingham and had I the option at the time I would have chosen York. But I'm not exactly sure where they stand against each other right now. I studied at Nottingham and was very pleased with my experience there. I had no trouble with deadlines but it depends on your third year modules options. I had friends who chose modules which had little/no coursework in their third year so they could focus on their final year project.

I picked pretty much the furthest accommodation from the psych department for my first year but it wasn't too bad, around a 15 minute walk. I'm sorry I can't provide too much direct comparison between the two, but you are welcome to ask me any questions you have about Nottingham. Either choice would be a great decision though!
    I'm currently deciding whether to firm Nottingham. Would you recommend it? I've read some bad reviews about the Psychology department and also wondered how you found being slightly out of the city?

ReputationRep:
    Personally I had no problems with the psychology department, as did most of my peers. The only serious complaint I gathered was a friend who had a really bad final project supervisor in her final year, which probably affected her grade a bit. The teaching was good with only 1 or 2 lectures who didn't seem to be very good at explaining themselves. Are you considering York too? When I applied they were ranked better in psychology and on that basis I may have chosen them over Nottingham.

Being a little far from the city wasn't too bad. Beeston was within walking distance from my halls (Broadgate Park), so was only a short walk to Tesco. A lot of people bought a yearly bus pass and went into town nearly every day, but even if you don't decide to do so it's only £1 each way. In your second and third year it is normal for most to move to Lenton which makes the city slightly more accessible. I chose accommodation in my third year near Canning Circus which was a 5-10 minute walk to most of the city necessities and a 7-10 minute bus journey to campus. Last year the tram line going by campus was finally finished but as it was done so after I had left I'm not entirely sure the route.

Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neptuner)

Thank you so much, I have considered your advice and finally chose York.
    I've talked with both unis staffs and decided that York has better environment for me. Thank you again for your advice!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.