Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Do they exist? I currently work on a helpdesk and I've had enough! I like IT but can't take the boredom of the office life and repetitiveness of being on the phone, I want to be moving around doing something other than on the phone. I'm looking at support type work, ideally fixing computers etc but I just cant take office life.. I will give it all up now if its all office work seriously. Suggestions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    An environment with lots of people working on computers, that is not an office? No idea really. That's pretty much the definition of what a modern office is.

Also, some offices are fine. Depends very much on the company.

ReputationRep:
    You need to progress off the phones and onto 2nd and 3rd line support. Then you'll start doing project work instead of just repetitive support.

ReputationRep:
    You suggested fixing computers. Maybe you could be one of those people who fix computers that get handed in broken? Or maybe you could move to retail and be one of those people who hang around the laptops telling people of all the features the laptops have and giving demonstrations.

No idea really. It's pretty difficult to think of a job involving computers that doesn't involve a computer in an office.

ReputationRep:
    Many people in my company (IT in Telecomms), including myself, work from home. Sometimes all you need is Skype/Slack and a VPN connection.

ReputationRep:
    Something in networking may get you out of an office, it may involve traveling to different places to fix their network

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NX172)
    Many people in my company (IT in Telecomms), including myself, work from home. Sometimes all you need is Skype/Slack and a VPN connection.
    Might have to look into this

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    In addition to some of the other suggestions, have you considered contracting?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Superhotfire)
    Do they exist? I currently work on a helpdesk and I've had enough! I like IT but can't take the boredom of the office life and repetitiveness of being on the phone, I want to be moving around doing something other than on the phone. I'm looking at support type work, ideally fixing computers etc but I just cant take office life.. I will give it all up now if its all office work seriously. Suggestions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Security? Pen testing could be interesting? Not sure how easy to get into it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Final Fantasy)
    In addition to some of the other suggestions, have you considered contracting?
    So going around a number of slightly different offices rather than staying in the same particular office?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    So going around a number of slightly different offices rather than staying in the same particular office?
    Pretty much.

It sounds like he's on 1st line support. Progressing to 2nd line and onwards, or moving towards network engineer in the field, or systems administration, DevOps etc. would help.

It could also just be the environment itself - not all offices are that bad. I've worked as a developer in several and sometimes from home without any issues - I do support sometimes as well. Perhaps progressing in his field would improve his situation or if he's the type not to be in one place all the time then consider contracting - sometimes onsite or remote from home (though I doubt there's much demand for it in his role - all the more reason to progress further).

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Quick link:

Unanswered IT and technology threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.