Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am soon going to be selecting my subjects for IB. These are my current choices (which may change)

HL Physic
    HL Economics
    HL Geography
    SL English (Language/Literature)
    SL Maths
    Ab-Initio Spanish

Are there any subjects that I shouldn't be taking? Are some subjects too difficult? Should I take HL english instead of HL Physics or HL Geography.

Any responses would be really appreciated....

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    No, I mean that's a wide spread. In theory, HL English would count for more than HL Geography or Physics (but if you really like them both just go for it). I noticed you have Maths at SL and Physics at HL, are you confident in Maths? If not, you might consider moving Physics down to SL in place of English. (I'd also say that physics is a little bit the outlier amongst your subjects but that might be a good thing and this level it's more about developing your interests, getting the qualification, and improving academic skills than anything else.)

I'd recommend talking to someone who knows you before deciding.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Des_Lumières)
    No, I mean that's a wide spread. In theory, HL English would count for more than HL Geography or Physics (but if you really like them both just go for it). I noticed you have Maths at SL and Physics at HL, are you confident in Maths? If not, you might consider moving Physics down to SL in place of English. (I'd also say that physics is a little bit the outlier amongst your subjects but that might be a good thing and this level it's more about developing your interests, getting the qualification, and improving academic skills than anything else.)

I'd recommend talking to someone who knows you before deciding.
    Thank you for your reply, currently I feel that Physics is my strongest science, and my math is at quite a decent level, I might take HL English instead.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by Alexander Watt)
    I am soon going to be selecting my subjects for IB. These are my current choices (which may change)

HL Physic
    HL Economics
    HL Geography
    SL English (Language/Literature)
    SL Maths
    Ab-Initio Spanish

Are there any subjects that I shouldn't be taking? Are some subjects too difficult? Should I take HL english instead of HL Physics or HL Geography.

Any responses would be really appreciated....

Thanks
    I've moved this discussion in your IB forum

Are you planning on going to uni? Any ideas on what you would like to study in the future?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by She-Ra)
    I've moved this discussion in your IB forum

Are you planning on going to uni? Any ideas on what you would like to study in the future?
    Thanks. I am interested in a career of Economics and Finance, I would be interested in studying in Melbourne (Australia) in hopefully Melbourne Uni or Monash Uni.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I am interested in a career of Economics and Finance, I would be interested in studying in Melbourne (Australia) in hopefully Melbourne Uni or Monash Uni.
    I'm not sure what the subject requirements are like in Australia, but here in the UK maths is actually more important than economics as a requirement. Annoyingly, many universities here equate A-level maths to Maths HL. As a former IB student, when looking to study a course that involved Economics it was a struggle to find courses that were not asking for HL Maths (I only did SL Studies) and with finance I suspect the emphasis on maths would be even greater. If you feel confident in your maths ability, HL Maths would be a good idea but only if the uni courses you are looking at require it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GailQ)
    I'm not sure what the subject requirements are like in Australia, but here in the UK maths is actually more important than economics as a requirement. Annoyingly, many universities here equate A-level maths to Maths HL. As a former IB student, when looking to study a course that involved Economics it was a struggle to find courses that were not asking for HL Maths (I only did SL Studies) and with finance I suspect the emphasis on maths would be even greater. If you feel confident in your maths ability, HL Maths would be a good idea but only if the uni courses you are looking at require it.
    Thanks for your reply, I believe that I am capable of taking SL Maths, I don't believe that HL is required. My main problem is between choosing HL English, HL Physics or HL Geography (2 HL & 1 SL)
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Sounds awesome. Maybe contact both those unis and make sure the qualification and subjects and subject levels are all appropriate for you to gain entry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by She-Ra)
    Sounds awesome. Maybe contact both those unis and make sure the qualification and subjects and subject levels are all appropriate for you to gain entry.
    Thanks for all your help, I will contact them now and make sure that I select the correct subjects.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Thanks for all your help, I will contact them now and make sure that I select the correct subjects.
    Nice one Good luck!

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.