Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Harvard abolishes 'master' in titles in slavery row Watch

• TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I link the article below

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-35659685

Harvard has not agreed that the use of "master" represented a link to slavery, but it has accepted campaigners' calls for a name change.
    It will mean changing the job titles of 24 members of staff - but will not affect other uses of "master", such as a master's level degree.
    Harvard academics say that the word "master" derives from the Latin term "magister" - a form of address for scholars or teachers. It is similar to terms such as "school master" or "head master".
    ... protesters have argued that whatever its original derivation, the word now has connotations of slavery.Student campaigners are also calling for a change in the official seal of Harvard Law School, with a sit-in being held this week.
    I disagree with the protesters and feel that the word master is not so problematic that it ought to be changed. What're your thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    I imagine the poisonous BlackLivesMatter movement had something to do with this. Absurd reasoning.

ReputationRep:
    This is semantics from a bunch of privileged 'adults' who are just looking for an excuse to be offended. If they wanted to enact genuine social change, they should have looked elsewhere.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    This is beyond ******ed.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand why blacks get so uppity about slavery; neither they, their parents or grandparents would have experienced actual slavery and it seems like some of them will try to find any way to make modern day America pay reparations for something that happened over 150 years ago that they never personally experienced. The suffering of blacks is not unique to the annuls of history, just as slavery is not unique to blacks. Should Italians pay reparations for enslaving Christians in the Roman Empire? No. They need to sit down and pipe down.

ReputationRep:
    One might also argue that the Harvard degree classifications are also problematic:

*** laude

magna *** laude

summa *** laude

egregia *** laude

maxima *** laude

they all sound like sex film worker names ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    One might also argue that the Harvard degree classifications are also problematic:

*** laude

magna *** laude

summa *** laude

egregia *** laude

maxima *** laude

:rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely. These privileged cis male academics over there are bearing down on working-class prostitutes!

ReputationRep:
    Ugh, next they'll be telling us we can't masturbate any more because it sounds wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnGreek)
    Absolutely. These are the privileged cis male academics over there bearing down on working-class prostitutes!
    :yay:

:five:

:dice:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chazwomaq)
    Ugh, next they'll be telling us we can't masturbate any more because it sounds wrong.
    :dice:

this character will soon be banned from our screens:

• TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to belittle their position but I can't help thinking "so what if master has slavery connotations". It, and other words have a multiple meanings and variation in usage. It stinks of entitlement and it's my hope it doesn't catch on. Still, I'm curious to see what someone who agrees has to say.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thecrimson.com/article/20...-change-title/
    “The House Masters have unanimously expressed a desire to change their title,” Khurana told faculty members in a prepared statement at the meeting.

Last week, Khurana said he personally feels uncomfortable with the title and that the College’s House masters, faculty members who oversee student residences, have been discussing changing it for some time.

Conversations about changing the title were ongoing even before Smith assumed the FAS deanship in 2007, he said.
    So a group of people who dislike their current job title (which is pretty fuddy duddy regardless of any other connotations) have changed their jobs title to be more reflective of the role.

:indiff:

ReputationRep:
    Well this is just silly, student movements seem to be getting more and more ridiculous by the year. I'm hoping that is just anecdotal and not an actual trend

ReputationRep:
    24 people at a university have their job titles changed. No big deal.

The problem is the internet is full of people looking to get outraged at people getting outraged. So such non-stories make great clickbait for news sites dependent on adverting revenue. It's the people who complain about such stories that are responsible for them being promoted over real news issues.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    http://www.thecrimson.com/article/20...-change-title/

So a group of people who dislike their current job title (which is pretty fuddy duddy regardless of any other connotations) have changed their jobs title to be more reflective of the role.

:indiff:
    I stand corrected. In Harvard, at least, those who held the title felt uncomfortable about the title.
    But similar rages and debates are also occurring in Yale and there is no evidence that the college masters there have a similar distaste for the title.

While it might be the case the term might change here because faculty disliked the term, do you think the protesters have a valid point? I would be uncomfortable with such a change being forced upon staff at another institution. And what then of other usages of the term such as the level of education?

ReputationRep:

*** laude

magna *** laude

summa *** laude

egregia *** laude

maxima *** laude

:rofl::rofl2:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by napkinsquirrel)
    I don't understand why blacks get so uppity about slavery; neither they, their parents or grandparents would have experienced actual slavery and it seems like some of them will try to find any way to make modern day America pay reparations for something that happened over 150 years ago that they never personally experienced. The suffering of blacks is not unique to the annuls of history, just as slavery is not unique to blacks. Should Italians pay reparations for enslaving Christians in the Roman Empire? No. They need to sit down and pipe down.
    You sir are a f****** c***

Not that I really care for anything you have to say (reply if you wish) but I guess the Jews should have been left high and dry with ZERO reparations from Germany?

Actually don't reply
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    I stand corrected. In Harvard, at least, those who held the title felt uncomfortable about the title.
    But similar rages and debates are also occurring in Yale and there is no evidence that the college masters there have a similar distaste for the title.

While it might be the case the term might change here because faculty disliked the term, do you think the protesters have a valid point? I would be uncomfortable with such a change being forced upon staff at another institution. And what then of other usages of the term such as the level of education?
    I can't speak for the people protesting the term on race grounds. I don't think it's inappropriate to highlight terminology or traditions that don't fit in an organisation committed to welcoming people from all backgrounds. And I think it's the sign of an organisation that *does* welcome people from all backgrounds if those criticisms are taken seriously regardless of whether something is changed or not.

I do know that I personally wouldn't accept a job with the title Master because it's a gendered job title and completely outdated. I wouldn't want to work for an organisation so stuck in the past that they'd actively prioritise tradition over inclusion.

ReputationRep:
    Postgraduate degrees will still be "Master of..."
    Women aren't campaigning that undergraduate degrees are "Bachelor of..."
    Stupid student protestors.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 4, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.