• TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by PQ)
    I can't speak for the people protesting the term on race grounds. I don't think it's inappropriate to highlight terminology or traditions that don't fit in an organisation committed to welcoming people from all backgrounds. And I think it's the sign of an organisation that *does* welcome people from all backgrounds if those criticisms are taken seriously regardless of whether something is changed or not.

I do know that I personally wouldn't accept a job with the title Master because it's a gendered job title and completely outdated. I wouldn't want to work for an organisation so stuck in the past that they'd actively prioritise tradition over inclusion.
    Fair enough. I respect their right to complain.

Is it because your gendered term would be mistress? Male terms can often be unisex.

Do you think concertmasters, choirmasters should change their titles too?
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    It is outdated.

Interestingly, the main dictionaries (that Google consolidates to provide its definition) list the "owner of slaves" meaning right at the top of the list.
    https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourc...ter+definition
    Well no. "a man who has people working for him, especially servants or slaves." Note the synonyms lord and overlord,
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by sleepysnooze)
    this almost makes me wish slavery was back so I could make slaves out of these idiots myself - not on racial lines. no. new lines. stupidity lines
    I might think the students are being ridiculous but this is an unjustified and stupid thing to say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    I might think the students are being ridiculous but this is an unjustified and stupid thing to say.
    cry me a ****ing river - I wasn't being serious - you honestly think I want to make people into slaves? it was a hyperbole. jesus christ
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    Fair enough. I respect their right to complain.

Is it because your gendered term would be mistress? Male terms can often be unisex.
    The job advert, the job description etc would need to include the job title. Unless it's described and advertised as "Master/Mistress" then a job that's titled "Master" isn't something I'd apply to or accept an offer for.

Do you think concertmasters, choirmasters should change their titles too?
    Headteachers have. Most choirs have in my experience (admittedly limited).

It's definitely a term with (in the UK) tweedy overtones

Well no. "a man who has people working for him, especially servants or slaves." Note the synonyms lord and overlord,
    I wouldn't want Lord (or Dame) as a job title either for the record....even though the pay is good.

ReputationRep:
    Is master ever used as a term of address for boys? I'm just old enough and come from just enough of a conservative/established middle class background to have been regularly addressed as master when I was younger.

Glad it's died out, it just seems such a servile form of address.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    magna *** laude
    They made a video game about this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leisur...agna_***_Laude

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    [/center]
    They made a video game about this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leisur...agna_***_Laude
    The main character, Larry Lovage, is a student at Walnut Log Community College

:toofunny:

i want to play this !!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    Is master ever used as a term of address for boys? I'm just old enough and come from just enough of a conservative/established middle class background to have been regularly addressed as master when I was younger.

It used to be a real class thing in Britain. So for example in Victorian or Edwardian England, there were loads of Masters of this, that and the other - Master of Hounds, Masters in school (eg, a male teacher), Master of Rolls (a sort of top lawyer - still going), etc. These would all be addressed as "master".

The 'master of the house' was the upper middle or upper class man who head of a large household. His male children would be addressed as 'young master' by servants and by tutors and so on.

The 'master/servant' culture in Imperial Britain mirrored the 'master/slave' one that operated in the colonies. Young masters in public schools here were trained and brutalised into their roles as brutalisers of the colonials. The system largely came into being by deliberate and planned acts of government in the 18th century as the empire expanded and the need to serve the profits of the ruling class were more and more important.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, the terrorists and racists from BlackLivesMatter strike again.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by PQ)
    The job advert, the job description etc would need to include the job title. Unless it's described and advertised as "Master/Mistress" then a job that's titled "Master" isn't something I'd apply to or accept an offer for.
    A few Cambridge colleges have just appointed their first female Masters this year:

http://www.christs.cam.ac.uk/news/new-master-christs
    http://www.tcs.cam.ac.uk/news/003510...t-kendall.html

The title does sound anachronistic these days.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)

It is occasionally used in writing. It is useful to mark out a boy when writing business letters e.g about a bank account or benefits claim that would normally be referring to an adult. "Miss" doesn't carry the same connotations when writing to or about a girl.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    A few Cambridge colleges have just appointed their first female Masters this year:

http://www.christs.cam.ac.uk/news/new-master-christs
    http://www.tcs.cam.ac.uk/news/003510...t-kendall.html

The title does sound anachronistic these days.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Would a man be appointed Mistress of Girton or would he be the Master of Girton?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    Would a man be appointed Mistress of Girton or would he be the Master of Girton?
    Edit: because I'm an idiot.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Perhaps, like the student body, it's a women-only role. Although it does have male Fellows.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Girton went fully co-ed in 1979 and men are eligible to be head of the college
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Girton went fully co-ed in 1979 and men are eligible to be head of the college
    Of course (I know that - just seniley slipped my memory banks) - I'm an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    I would be OK with "comrade Master" or "comrade Madame".
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I wonder if the people arguing for changes in job or position name would also have to have the word master struck in other usages such as degree classification.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ServantOfMorgoth)
    This site lol. Typical "know it all" teenagers that doesn't really have a clue about the real issues. Your opinions do not matter and are usually just strawman fallicies anyway.
    To be fair, the average lecturer in degrees such as woman's studies, African-American studies and minority dance probably knows less about the world, than the average working class, ethnic minority teenager who actually lives the experiences those privileged tw*ts bleat on about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feel Tha Bern)
    To be fair, the average lecturer in degrees such as woman's studies, African-American studies and minority dance probably knows less about the world, than the average working class, ethnic minority teenager who actually lives the experiences those privileged tw*ts bleat on about.
    Because the kids on here know more than they do? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ServantOfMorgoth)
    Because the kids on here know more than they do? :confused:
    TSR is a pisspoor website in terms of post quality I have to say, but professional intellectuals are nowhere near this pinnacle of human intelligence they're made up to be, especially not ones in made up subjects such as this.

inb4 fedora neckbeard comments

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 4, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.