Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, this is my first post!

Im currently studying the ontological argument and have been asked 'the ontological argument does not prove anything.' To what extent do you agree?

I have so many arguments for agreeing it proves nothing using criticisms from Aquinas, Kant, Gaunilo etc saying that you cant define something into existence.

Im struggling however on explaining whay is DOES prove other than what peoe of faoth already belkeved - that there is a possibility God exists, and that in a way reason and faith can be linked. (Speaking of Anselm)

Ive done about anselm, descartes, and criticisms such as gaunilo, kant, aquinas

If anyone could help please let me know!! Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    it is just tricksy mediaeval wordplay...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.