Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I am starting GDL via distance learning. I want to know if I will be required to memorize big chunks of text, laws, definitions, etc. Or are they gonna give us in examples the laws and only expect from us to put the critical thinking to solve a problem etc?

Thanks!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi Studos,

Congratulations on starting your studies.
    I would think a bit of both.Our LLB QLD course allows students to get to grips with legal language and definitions by applying them to case studies and real life scenarios, this makes your studies more ‘hands on’.

You’ll critically assess the advantages and limitations of different law(s) and you’ll find your problem solving skills will naturally develop throughout each module.

I think the best advice is to contact your provider and they can get in touch with your tutor who should be able to answer any questions you have.

Best of luck
    Meghan

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Meghan,

Anyone else with experience?
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by studos)
    Hi!

I am starting GDL via distance learning. I want to know if I will be required to memorize big chunks of text, laws, definitions, etc. Or are they gonna give us in examples the laws and only expect from us to put the critical thinking to solve a problem etc?

Thanks!
    In the exam? You can learn by writ if you really want, but there's no point. There are key phrases to learn, but taking crime for example, it's much more important to know where you're looking in your statute book; the case authorities and the precedent from it; and the STRUCTURE for your answers.

I am not, unlike Meghan, affiliated with any particular education provider. It is more whatever works for you. There are certain phrases you must be able to recite (definitions that aren't statutory), but for the institution I studied at, you were penalised for obviously reciting your revision notes. Application of the law is just as important as knowing it for the GDL.

ReputationRep:
    So you will have access to your statute book during exams? I don't know what statute book is, I assume it's the law?
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    So you will have access to your statute book during exams? I don't know what statute book is, I assume it's the law?
    Which institution are you studying with?

Please quote me if replying or I won't see it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mimir)
    Which institution are you studying with?

Please quote me if replying or I won't see it
    haven't technically started, I will go with UCLAN probably, does it matter?
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    haven't technically started, I will go with UCLAN probably, does it matter?
    Doesn't matter, no. The GDL is SRA approved so it's a uniform qualification no matter where or how you do it.

Where I studied we were provided with a pretty hefty book full of relevant extracts from law (statute) - our Statute Books. We could highlight and tab, but not annotate, and take them into the exam.

It would be most likely this would be the case for you too, it's pretty difficult to remember the exact wording of various sections of the roughly 30 statutes you need to complete the GDL.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.