Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Support for carers in higher and further education Watch

ReputationRep:
    My mum is fighting an incurable breast cancer, and I've been her sole carer since I was 14, and since coming to uni I've found a huge lack of support for carers - there's no financial support, and if you have to missed a compulsory session in order to make a trip home to help the person you care for, there's almost no leniency and you'll often get penalised for it.

Because of this, and thanks to finding several other people in a similar position, I've started a petition to UCAS to try and make universities aware of applicants who may need extra support. The link is here if anyone wishes to sign: https://www.change.org/p/communicati...end-university

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cah846)
    My mum is fighting an incurable breast cancer, and I've been her sole carer since I was 14, and since coming to uni I've found a huge lack of support for carers - there's no financial support, and if you have to missed a compulsory session in order to make a trip home to help the person you care for, there's almost no leniency and you'll often get penalised for it.

Because of this, and thanks to finding several other people in a similar position, I've started a petition to UCAS to try and make universities aware of applicants who may need extra support. The link is here if anyone wishes to sign: https://www.change.org/p/communicati...end-university
    The problem with aiming it at UCAS is that it isn't UCAS who determine the support on offer, its the university welfare departments themselves. In the case of those with disabilities, the quality of support is not consistent across universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    The problem with aiming it at UCAS is that it isn't UCAS who determine the support on offer, its the university welfare departments themselves. In the case of those with disabilities, the quality of support is not consistent across universities.

I'm aware this is the case, however my university recommended I take this route because currently they are under no obligation to help carers because they have no idea who is a carer. If UCAS were to ask applicants if they are or have been carers, the universities would then have this data from the outset and would no longer be able to sweep this group of students under the rug.

ReputationRep:
    My petition was taken up by Carers Trust and was successful; I'm now trying to find out why full time students can't get Carers' Allowance, and whether that can be changed.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.