The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why don't we just grow babies in a test tube?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Greenlaner
Yes, let's take one of the most natural and beautiful life experiences, suck all the humanity out of it, and turn it into just another cold, clinical, procedure.

And while we are at it, let's go full sociopath and cut down all the real trees and replace them artificial ones that will do the same job of producing oxygen as real trees, with the added bonus that they don't need pruning, won't catch diseases and will never die. Sure they might not be as aesthetically pleasing as real trees, but who cares about such trivial matters, function and efficiency is all matters in our brave new world.

Wow.

THIS. :yep:
Yes, let's take one of the most natural and beautiful life experiences, suck all the humanity out of it, and turn it into just another cold, clinical, procedure.

And while we are at it, let's go full sociopath and cut down all the real trees and replace them artificial ones that will do the same job of producing oxygen as real trees, with the added bonus that they don't need pruning, won't catch diseases and will never die. Sure they might not be as aesthetically pleasing as real trees, but who cares about such trivial matters, function and efficiency is all matters in our brave new world.

Dont see where the problem is.

Lol at people who think pregnancy is some beautiful wonderful experience, especially men that think so
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
We each have our sperm and eggs frozen at say like 18-21. Then later in life when we have a partner and we are ready to have a baby we just use our stored eggs + sperm, stick em together, and let the baby grow in an artificial womb.

It must be possible. If we crack the science it then just becomes an engineering/economic problem :beard:

Not only would we solve the whole people having babies to late we would also get rid of the whole having to give birth thing for women.

Spoiler

Dont listen to the luddites here OP.

Remember when cars were invented people first thought it would just be a fad and people would become disinterested soon enough.
I wouldn't have a problem with my child being grown in a lab. As long as it made 0 physical difference to the child. Though it probably would.
Original post by BookBird
Giving birth sucks ass but it's an experience most women willingly want to go through, myself included. To take away that would be taking away yet another reproductive right from us.

You crazy idiots. :s-smilie:

Wouldn't it be more about "willing" if it was an actual choice? You could still do it the "old fashioned way". As it stands going through all that is not a choice if you want your own genetic offspring.

To all you saying it is some wonderful life experience why not the same attitude with childhood vaccines? Every child should be exposed to the risk of lifer altering polio. It's all part of life after all.

So when this beautiful natural life experience produces a premature birth we should just let the thing die then? Not keep it artificially alive? We already do this kind of stuff. We already keep babies alive outside the womb when they are not strong enough to survive. If you want it as natural as possible we should go back to no medicinal help and have all "natural births", to hell with the mother/child mortality rate :-/

You have a very romantic view of nature when it produces stuff like this,.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/20/microcephaly-babies-brain-defect-brazil-zika-virus

It's masochistic. I think one of the reason we have so much inbuilt aversion to what I am saying is because so much of our culture is based around finding the meaning in suffering, since so much of human existence is just that. It's what our religions are based around. It helps us deal with the pain of existence. But it also holds back progress and stops from getting rid of suffering from human existence. You see with Mother Terisia and her death hospitals where people went to die. We have medicine that can stop people dieing yet the fetishism of what was once inevitable suffering stops us from helping ourselves.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 25

It's not like it would be compulsory.

It may be beautiful for you, but I cringe at the idea of pregnancy. Certainly wouldn't want to go through childbirth either. An artificial womb would be ideal for me if I decided to have a child that's biologically mine.
Pretty much all women say pregnancy sucks, it's just holding your baby for the first time that makes it worth all the suffering and discomfort they have to go through.

if we can cut the pain and discomfort out of pregnancy, I dont see why we shouldnt
Original post by Death Grips
Pretty much all women say pregnancy sucks, it's just holding your baby for the first time that makes it worth all the suffering and discomfort they have to go through.if we can cut the pain and discomfort out of pregnancy, I dont see why we shouldnt
Which we already do. I'm just taking the next big step.

Original post by Death Grips
Dont listen to the luddites here OP.

They're scared of progress is all.

I'll show the world with my Frankenstein babies. :colonhash:

Original post by Nadile
It's not like it would be compulsory.It may be beautiful for you, but I cringe at the idea of pregnancy. Certainly wouldn't want to go through childbirth either. An artificial womb would be ideal for me if I decided to have a child that's biologically mine.
You can be an early adopter.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Well this doesn't remind me of Frankenstein at all...

Also many believe that one of the most beautiful things about a womans bodies is their ability to grow a baby inside them for 9 months, so taking that away would make a lot of people very angry, as it can be considered reducing the role of women in society.

I can actually see it now, angry feminists with posters headlined "Now men reproduce better". XD

Only if you think that is their one sole use to society....

I think my proposal is motivated by my feminist concerns to be honest.
(edited 8 years ago)
We each have our sperm and eggs frozen at say like 18-21. Then later in life when we have a partner and we are ready to have a baby we just use our stored eggs + sperm, stick em together, and let the baby grow in an artificial womb.

It must be possible. If we crack the science it then just becomes an engineering/economic problem :beard:

Not only would we solve the whole people having babies to late we would also get rid of the whole having to give birth thing for women.

Spoiler

I don't have an ethical issue with this per se, but it's a slippery slope. It isn't a great leap from this, to designer babies, to Gattaca (great film for the record). So I disagree because I don't like where it could lead, and also cause it seems pretty self-indulgent; it isn't really necessary.

Spoiler

Because they would crack the glass
Reply 31
You can be an early adopter.

Well, not if I want a child biologically mine :biggrin: Don't know if I would particularly care for that, but some people certainly do. I can see the benefit since it makes it more likely that the child will still be somewhat like you, since they do inherit your genes and traits. If you adopt then you don't know what to expect.

It would probably work kinda like in vitro, where the healthiest looking embryo is chosen. So there's that benefit too. Plus, maybe this way you could guarantee twins?
Giving birth sucks ass but it's an experience most women willingly want to go through, myself included. To take away that would be taking away yet another reproductive right from us.

He wasn't proposing taking away your right or ability to give birth naturally.

Spoiler

Mainly because it's far too expensive, especially when women come free with a perfectly serviceable baby-growing test tube inside them.

Plus I'm not sure we can bring a baby from conception to birth in vitro even in principle yet.
Original post by Asklepios
Because mother-derived factors are essential for fetal development. Even if we do somehow create an artificial bit for the placenta to grow on to, we'd still need to hook the mum up for plasma exchange

This is the one of the only posts that has any good reason for not doing it.

We can do the egg freezing and sperm freezing now though. Why don't we all do that bit?

Original post by scrotgrot
Mainly because it's far too expensive, especially when women come free with a perfectly serviceable baby-growing test tube inside them.Plus I'm not sure we can bring a baby from conception to birth in vitro even in principle yet.
I never said we could do it now, or we will ever be able to. More should we if we could. I included the need for science, engineering and economics to all be feasible.
(edited 8 years ago)

This has to be the weirdest conclusion I've read all day. Does dialysis take away your right to use the toilet?

Original post by Zargabaath
I remember there being an outrage not too long ago over artificial wombs because some people claimed they were going to remove reproductive power from women in society.

Spoiler

Hehe. Exactly.
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
Backup generators. They already have such systems in existing facilities.

And if those fail? :tongue:

Spoiler

I'd love this idea! The idea of pregnancy does not appeal AT ALL to me. If I could have children of my own without all the faff of pregnancy and childbirth, I'd go full steam ahead.
Original post by Hydeman
Then you seek damages and compensation for emotional injury. No win, no fee. :h:

:rofl:

Fetal insurance

Spoiler

Yeah, like there is a real problem with natural conception and gestation.

There are 7.4 billion reasons to think not ....

Latest

Trending

Trending