Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I am torn between studying Medicine and International Relations. I am equally interested in both of them. My thoughts are:
    Medicine: job security, quite a good salary, working with people, I am interested in sciences, not easy to get into (although I could manage I think)

International Relations: I really like politics and international affairs, salary is ok, chance of becoming an ambassador, I would like to work for Amnesty International or UN, there's no direct carrier you can pursue (in comparison to Medicine -> Physician) so no real job security, it's not guaranteed that I will pass the hard application process for becoming an ambassador or working in government.

What are your thoughts and ideas? Does anybody have experience?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    noone can help you with that. You should choose medicine because of job security though, and depends what you mean by "quite good salary" doctors will never get rich, they can be comfortable, but not rich. I think your pros for medicine are for the wrong reasons...
    And if your only real reason is becuase you like the sciences, go for the sciences then, no reason to do medicine, because "the sciences" only make up a little bit of the actual course itself.

Do some more research into waht you really want to be, and defintiely look into what doctors actaully do too... The geberal public normally think they're peple who work to cure dieases etc, while that is the ideal outcome, most of the time its managing conditons, you have to deal with patients with terminal illness too and becuase you're working with patients, theres that human aspects, msot of the time it can be enjoyable, but you get times when patients are incredibly rude and perhaps even violent, yet you'll need to be professional.
    Also doctors have LOADS of paper work!

As for international relations, you could always jsut do it as a general degree, you odn't have to actually go into politics or government etc. Whiel oyu could, you could also go into almost any other career, apart from a few jobs, most jsut require a 2.1 in any degree.

So in conclusion, research more about what doctors actually do, if that is also what you want, then choose medicine, since the degree is a occupational one, it trains you to be a doctor.
    If its not, then go for international relations, becuase worst case, you don't NEED to become an ambassador etc with that degree.

(yes you can also go into other careers with a degree in medicine since it shows you have worked incredibly hard and have transferable skills etc. but essentially its training you to do a job, and while it shouldn't affect your choice, there are limited medicine places, it cost lots of money to train doctors, and some may feel that its a waste if you don't practice after. but again, don't let that affect your judgement, I think everyone has the right to choose whatever they wish to do)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your answer! Don't get me wrong I really like helping people and already did some internships in hospitals, nevertheless I am still not really sure if this is a job that would fully satisfy me. As you said I will go on researching. Maybe doing some more internships also in the IR field.

(Original post by Freyr)
    noone can help you with that. You should choose medicine because of job security though, and depends what you mean by "quite good salary" doctors will never get rich, they can be comfortable, but not rich. I think your pros for medicine are for the wrong reasons...
    And if your only real reason is becuase you like the sciences, go for the sciences then, no reason to do medicine, because "the sciences" only make up a little bit of the actual course itself.

Do some more research into waht you really want to be, and defintiely look into what doctors actaully do too... The geberal public normally think they're peple who work to cure dieases etc, while that is the ideal outcome, most of the time its managing conditons, you have to deal with patients with terminal illness too and becuase you're working with patients, theres that human aspects, msot of the time it can be enjoyable, but you get times when patients are incredibly rude and perhaps even violent, yet you'll need to be professional.
    Also doctors have LOADS of paper work!

As for international relations, you could always jsut do it as a general degree, you odn't have to actually go into politics or government etc. Whiel oyu could, you could also go into almost any other career, apart from a few jobs, most jsut require a 2.1 in any degree.

So in conclusion, research more about what doctors actually do, if that is also what you want, then choose medicine, since the degree is a occupational one, it trains you to be a doctor.
    If its not, then go for international relations, becuase worst case, you don't NEED to become an ambassador etc with that degree.

(yes you can also go into other careers with a degree in medicine since it shows you have worked incredibly hard and have transferable skills etc. but essentially its training you to do a job, and while it shouldn't affect your choice, there are limited medicine places, it cost lots of money to train doctors, and some may feel that its a waste if you don't practice after. but again, don't let that affect your judgement, I think everyone has the right to choose whatever they wish to do)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 9, 2016

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.