Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Basically I am retaking year 12 because I got DDU doing as level last year and I am now doing different subjects.

Currently I am doing Health & social care BTEC and psychology A level.

I am predicted Distinction in my BTEC and an A in psychology

For GCSE I got :

Maths - C

English literature - B

Drama - D

Science - C

English language - B

Religious education - C

History - D

French - B

My question is do you think with a strong personal statement I could get into the following university/courses

University of Dundee - Law

University of Leeds - Criminal justice and Criminology

Nottingham Trent University - Criminology

University of Leicester - Criminology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Username002)
    Let's see...based on the information you've given me you have another 60-70 years of crying yourself to sleep at night.
    What do u mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Username002)
    Let's see...based on the information you've given me you have another 60-70 years of crying yourself to sleep at night.
    That was hilarious, shut up.

(Original post by Rs1021)
    Basically I am retaking year 12 because I got DDU doing as level last year and I am now doing different subjects.

Currently I am doing Health & social care BTEC and psychology A level.

I am predicted Distinction in my BTEC and an A in psychology

For GCSE I got :

Maths - C

English literature - B

Drama - D

Science - C

English language - B

Religious education - C

History - D

French - B

My question is do you think with a strong personal statement I could get into the following university/courses

University of Dundee - Law

University of Leeds - Criminal justice and Criminology

Nottingham Trent University - Criminology

University of Leicester - Criminology
    On topic OP i think you have been mis-informed or are just stressing for no reason, the courses you have applied for are relatively easy to get into (Criminology is seen as a mickey mouse degree) and jobs are not exactly all that great however there are some great jobs available nonetheless. In terms of what are your chances i would say it is very unlikely you will get rejected by NTU (pretty low in rankings) the same with Leicester providing obviously you provide a decent personal statement. Leeds is a great university overall, for your course i can not comment however as a whole it is a RG. As for Dundee and law, im sure you will be fine, however bare in mind they teach Scots law and you may find difficulty in finding jobs in the UK (presuming you want to work in the Uk that if not youre fine) Your GCSES are definitely enough for NTU and Leicester, maybe not Leeds but again for your course i can not comment, Dundee likewise. However i think you are stressing over nothing you will be fine, and i dont think you will have a problem getting offers providing your application is not useless. One point i am struggling for is how are you only doing two subjects at A-level, or have you not stated your third, as doing only 2 subjects will mean your application is useless as most if not all universities require atleast 3?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSRFT8)
    That was hilarious, shut up.

On topic OP i think you have been mis-informed or are just stressing for no reason, the courses you have applied for are relatively easy to get into (Criminology is seen as a mickey mouse degree) and jobs are not exactly all that great however there are some great jobs available nonetheless. In terms of what are your chances i would say it is very unlikely you will get rejected by NTU (pretty low in rankings) the same with Leicester providing obviously you provide a decent personal statement. Leeds is a great university overall, for your course i can not comment however as a whole it is a RG. As for Dundee and law, im sure you will be fine, however bare in mind they teach Scots law and you may find difficulty in finding jobs in the UK (presuming you want to work in the Uk that if not youre fine) Your GCSES are definitely enough for NTU and Leicester, maybe not Leeds but again for your course i can not comment, Dundee likewise. However i think you are stressing over nothing you will be fine, and i dont think you will have a problem getting offers providing your application is not useless. One point i am struggling for is how are you only doing two subjects at A-level, or have you not stated your third, as doing only 2 subjects will mean your application is useless as most if not all universities require atleast 3?
    my BTEC is worth 2 a levels and i am predicted distinction for both therefore i have 3 all together and thanks for taking the time to write all of that, really it means a lot

ReputationRep:
    is my btec Health and Social care relevant to law?

ReputationRep:
    my BTEC is worth 2 a levels and i am predicted distinction for both therefore i have 3 all together and thanks for taking the time to write all of that, really it means a lot
    is my btec Health and Social care relevant to law?
    I thought it would be just wanted to make sure, however with regards to your second question i would have to be very honest with you and say in no way, and many universities (Leeds) will be very sketchy about it (its seen as a cop out of A-levels) albeit im sure it probably is difficult it just is not high on the list of universities preferences. But i suppose its too late too do anything but try. And no problem, i applied for Law and have received all my offers, so if you need any help with your application, Personal statement etc etc feel free to ask.

ReputationRep:
    I thought it would be just wanted to make sure, however with regards to your second question i would have to be very honest with you and say in no way, and many universities (Leeds) will be very sketchy about it (its seen as a cop out of A-levels) albeit im sure it probably is difficult it just is not high on the list of universities preferences. But i suppose its too late too do anything but try. And no problem, i applied for Law and have received all my offers, so if you need any help with your application, Personal statement etc etc feel free to ask.
    Omg thank you, would love the help when i apply in october, also because i am doing psychology a level would that make leeds and others more open minded to my application

ReputationRep:
    what a nasty comment

ReputationRep:
    Psychology will help with both criminology, which incidentally is not a mickey mouse subject as someone previously suggested (obviously quite ignorant person) and law, as there is a large element of psychology in both courses. The health and social care though I should think will not help terribly, but apply and see how it goes. good luck

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kenda02)
    Psychology will help with both criminology, which incidentally is not a mickey mouse subject as someone previously suggested (obviously quite ignorant person) and law, as there is a large element of psychology in both courses. The health and social care though I should think will not help terribly, but apply and see how it goes. good luck
    thank you and I got a D in GCSE history however it wasn't all my fault because the school got our entire year disqualified from one unit so they gave us an average, can I explain this to universities?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Omg thank you, would love the help when i apply in october, also because i am doing psychology a level would that make leeds and others more open minded to my application
    Definitely, Psychology is a brilliant a-level and also one which is respected by universities, and no problem

It is not ignorant i am not going to sit and mis-lead the OP by saying it is a brilliant degree albeit i did mention there are some great jobs available with it. Next time read and understand before throwing the victim card.

ReputationRep:
    Criminology is a mickey mouse degree, best not mislead the OP by saying otherwise. It opens up a niche set of great careers that you could probably get into with a broader more reputable degree.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely, Psychology is a brilliant a-level and also one which is respected by universities, and no problem

It is not ignorant i am not going to sit and mis-lead the OP by saying it is a brilliant degree albeit i did mention there are some great jobs available with it. Next time read and understand before throwing the victim card.
    Do you or anyone else know whether or not dundee for law is strict or competitive

ReputationRep:
    Do you or anyone else know whether or not dundee for law is strict or competitive
    Law is fiercely competitive, however how lenient a university is will depend on applications to that university. For example if 2000 apply and they only have 500 offers to give out it will be very hard, however if only 400 people apply then they will be very lenient in giving out offers as they dont exactly have a choice. RG unis for law is fiercely competitive year in year out, however Dundee is not RG and could mean it is more lenient then say Nottingham. Your best bet is to email the university and ask for statistics this will be more beneficial.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oilfreak1)
    Criminology is a mickey mouse degree, best not mislead the OP by saying otherwise. It opens up a niche set of great careers that you could probably get into with a broader more reputable degree.
    as I said ignorant

ReputationRep:
    Because I want to apply for both law and criminology (not together) how do i go about writing my personal statement

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 4, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.