Turn on thread page Beta

Is my car's fuel economy good, bad or average ? watch

ReputationRep:
    I drive a 2006 mk2 focus 1.8 sport TDCI , it has full service history and 139,500 miles on the clock

It takes 43 litres to fill up to full brim from fuel light. From full brim after driving 5 or 10 miles the gauge begins to move, by the time it reaches half tank it has usually only covered around 180 - 200 miles. by the time low fuel light is on it has often done between 380- 400 miles and that is with me driving very gently.

It is supposed to achieve

urban- 39.2
    extra - 64.2
    combined - 53.2

I was seeing 58 mpg from top half of the tank, then when it got to low fuel light I had only done 430 ish and my mpg fell to 45 mpg

ReputationRep:
    You aren't going to be able to accurately determine MPG using the fuel gauge as it just isn't accurate enough. The best way is to measure the MPG at each fill up as you will know exactly how much fuel you have used if you are filling the tank.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talon)
    You aren't going to be able to accurately determine MPG using the fuel gauge as it just isn't accurate enough. The best way is to measure the MPG at each fill up as you will know exactly how much fuel you have used if you are filling the tank.
    can I say that my car has gotten 55 mpg or has it not really gotten 55 mpg as once the light comes on it only showed 45 mpg but the top half of fuel showed I was getting 55 mpg

Also, does my car have a trip computer ?

ReputationRep:
    Not really no - knowing your fuel consumption at any one point is rather pointless when it comes to asking about the efficiency of your car. What counts is the average mpg over a period of time. It is the only way to determine whether or your car is being efficient. Unless of course you are attempting to determine at what point your car is the most efficient so you can maintain the fuel at that level permanently by filling up every 50-100 miles or so. If that is the case, I suggest a psychiatrist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talon)
    Not really no - knowing your fuel consumption at any one point is rather pointless when it comes to asking about the efficiency of your car. What counts is the average mpg over a period of time. It is the only way to determine whether or your car is being efficient. Unless of course you are attempting to determine at what point your car is the most efficient so you can maintain the fuel at that level permanently by filling up every 50-100 miles or so. If that is the case, I suggest a psychiatrist.
    But

Had I refilled after that motorway trip from which I was getting 55 mpg, I would have gotten 55 mpg. I have thought about filling it from the top half but not sure

so, does my car have a trip computer ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I love life)
    It takes 43 litres to fill up to full brim from fuel light. From full brim after driving 5 or 10 miles the gauge begins to move, by the time it reaches half tank it has usually only covered around 180 - 200 miles. by the time low fuel light is on it I was seeing 58 mpg from top half of the tank, then when it got to low fuel light I had only done 430 ish and my mpg fell to 45 mpg
    This must be the third time you have asked this idiotic question.
    it is the same answer.
    THAT IS NOT HOW YOU MEASURE FUEL CONSUMPTION

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mphysical)
    This must be the third time you have asked this idiotic question.
    it is the same answer.
    THAT IS NOT HOW YOU MEASURE FUEL CONSUMPTION
    Why do you feel the need to come here, shout and act like I'm being a nuisance, if you don't want to help then go, you are not being forced to stay so just go.
    And it is not an idiotic question at all, the only thing idiotic on this thread is your attitude

ReputationRep:
    so, does my car have a trip computer ?
    How the hell should I know? Can't you go and check?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talon)
    How the hell should I know? Can't you go and check?
    Even if his car has a trip computer, it probably won't work properly anyway!

ReputationRep:
    Ask Brian.

ReputationRep:
    Why do you feel the need to come here, shout and act like I'm being a nuisance, if you don't want to help then go, you are not being forced to stay so just go.
    And it is not an idiotic question at all, the only thing idiotic on this thread is your attitude
    I am shouting because as in your previous similar threads you refuse to listen.
    The petrol gauge is a guide only and not a tool to measure fuel consumption.
    Why can you not accept that as an answer? Why keep coming back?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Ask Brian.
    **** Brian

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Ask Brian.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CurlyBen)
    PRSOM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CurlyBen)
    (Original post by JC.)
    PRSOM
    pure idiocy

ReputationRep:
    pure idiocy
    Let's just hope that new MAF loom fixes your sense of humour as well eh!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.