Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I was curious as to how much chemistry is required to start in med school. As I've already been to university under a different specialty I very much doubt I would be accepted onto medicine in the UK so I'm going abroad.

I have been offered a place on a 1 year Access to HE Medical Professions as an alternative to A-levels. The course seems to focus mainly on biology which I'm already good at but I don't see much Chemistry.

Will the lack of Chem be a problem for starting an MD (It's an Eastern European school)

Thank you in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benjiv10)
    Hi
    I was curious as to how much chemistry is required to start in med school. As I've already been to university under a different specialty I very much doubt I would be accepted onto medicine in the UK so I'm going abroad.

I have been offered a place on a 1 year Access to HE Medical Professions as an alternative to A-levels. The course seems to focus mainly on biology which I'm already good at but I don't see much Chemistry.

Will the lack of Chem be a problem for starting an MD (It's an Eastern European school)

Thank you in advance
    You can apply for graduate entry medicine in the uk if you already have a degree. There are different requirements at different unis, but a number will take arts graduates as well as scientists, so don't rule yourself out!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JenniB22)
    You can apply for graduate entry medicine in the uk if you already have a degree. There are different requirements at different unis, but a number will take arts graduates as well as scientists, so don't rule yourself out!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hey Jenni,
    Thanks for the reply I should have mentioned I wouldn't be able to get Student Finance again to do it. I'm sort of keen to study it abroad too.
    I was doing computing before so I know Maths pretty well and Biology, either way it's just Chemistry and possibly Physics that worry me. Any advice would be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    There's really next to no chemistry in a medical degree. A few concepts about ion movement and acid/base balance, bit very little else.

I've heard it said that the real reason medical schools require chemistry is because it's the hardest A level, nothing to do with relevance. That's obviously unconfirmable, but perhaps not implausible

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.