Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I really want to study Law but due to certain circumstances, online distance courses are my best option. I studied Law at A Level and really enjoyed it and now I'm just wondering which Online university degree is going to be better. I know with the Open University you can apply no matter what your past education which is something that I liked. However there are mixed reviews about how highly the degrees are respected by Employers. With the University of Essex Online there are two way of applying; the academic route and the open route. I have what is needed to apply academically so I was wondering whether this then reflected any differently on the degree itself.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Is Law something you want to go into after? I don't think it would be worth it if this is the case...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanya Pouncey)
    Is Law something you want to go into after? I don't think it would be worth it if this is the case...
    Both courses are accredited and count as the academic part of the process to become a law professional. So I wouldn't say it wouldn't be worth it.

ReputationRep:
    I can't answer your question but I will just say the OU is very well regarded by employers. Good luck whatever you end up doing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by isabellerebbeca)
    Both courses are accredited and count as the academic part of the process to become a law professional. So I wouldn't say it wouldn't be worth it.
    Yeah they are. Unfortunately Law is still incredibly elitist. I go to a Russell Group and I am aware of how hard it'll be compared to others just because of the name of my University, so I can't imagine what it's like for non-russell groups. I don't even see them at law firm open days/events I've been to.

If you do decide to go through with it, I hope it takes you where you want to be just make sure to have a crap load of work experience etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by isabellerebbeca)
    Hi, I really want to study Law but due to certain circumstances, online distance courses are my best option. I studied Law at A Level and really enjoyed it and now I'm just wondering which Online university degree is going to be better. I know with the Open University you can apply no matter what your past education which is something that I liked. However there are mixed reviews about how highly the degrees are respected by Employers. With the University of Essex Online there are two way of applying; the academic route and the open route. I have what is needed to apply academically so I was wondering whether this then reflected any differently on the degree itself.
    Thanks
    Hi,
    I am a current law student at Essex, however I am not sure how does this really works, but what I would say is that as far as both ways are recognised from the government as a law degree, then choose either the open route or the academic one and go for it. I would reckon to try and contact the law department of the university so you can get a professional reply
    https://www.essex.ac.uk/law/contact/...l-enquiry.aspx or simply have a look at their webpage and call them

Hope that helps!
    ^andriana

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.