Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I really want to study Law but due to certain circumstances, online distance courses are my best option. I studied Law at A Level and really enjoyed it and now I'm just wondering which Online university degree is going to be better. I know with the Open University you can apply no matter what your past education which is something that I liked. However there are mixed reviews about how highly the degrees are respected by Employers. With the University of Essex Online there are two way of applying; the academic route and the open route. I have what is needed to apply academically so I was wondering whether this then reflected any differently on the degree itself.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Is Law something you want to go into after? I don't think it would be worth it if this is the case...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanya Pouncey)
    Is Law something you want to go into after? I don't think it would be worth it if this is the case...
    Both courses are accredited and count as the academic part of the process to become a law professional. So I wouldn't say it wouldn't be worth it.

ReputationRep:
    I can't answer your question but I will just say the OU is very well regarded by employers. Good luck whatever you end up doing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by isabellerebbeca)
    Both courses are accredited and count as the academic part of the process to become a law professional. So I wouldn't say it wouldn't be worth it.
    Yeah they are. Unfortunately Law is still incredibly elitist. I go to a Russell Group and I am aware of how hard it'll be compared to others just because of the name of my University, so I can't imagine what it's like for non-russell groups. I don't even see them at law firm open days/events I've been to.

If you do decide to go through with it, I hope it takes you where you want to be just make sure to have a crap load of work experience etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by isabellerebbeca)
    Hi, I really want to study Law but due to certain circumstances, online distance courses are my best option. I studied Law at A Level and really enjoyed it and now I'm just wondering which Online university degree is going to be better. I know with the Open University you can apply no matter what your past education which is something that I liked. However there are mixed reviews about how highly the degrees are respected by Employers. With the University of Essex Online there are two way of applying; the academic route and the open route. I have what is needed to apply academically so I was wondering whether this then reflected any differently on the degree itself.
    Thanks
    Hi,
    I am a current law student at Essex, however I am not sure how does this really works, but what I would say is that as far as both ways are recognised from the government as a law degree, then choose either the open route or the academic one and go for it. I would reckon to try and contact the law department of the university so you can get a professional reply
    https://www.essex.ac.uk/law/contact/...l-enquiry.aspx or simply have a look at their webpage and call them

Hope that helps!
    ^andriana

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 4, 2016

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.