Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA A-level English Literature B new 7717/1B & 7717/2B - 15 & 22 Jun 2017 Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leah0412)
    Yeah it was the Moira question, I thought that Blake one for section B was really good but i didn't like the first section C question and thought Blake was much easier to write about in the authority figures question than the handmaid's tale as the handmaid's tale gets quite complicated eg. whether the aunts have more power than the commanders and the fact that even the commanders don't follow their own rules etc whereas Blake was much more straightforward

My points for the Moira question were basically:

1. it's 'heroic' because she offers the other handmaid's something to hold onto and to get them through, helping others and not only herself
    2. it shows that people aren't just willing to accept imposing regimes like this (should've put context here 💔)
    3. however offred actually becomes complicit in just reliving Moira's story and taking no action herself, suggesting that Moira hasn't actually helped the others at all
    4. structurally we don't find her heroic after offred bigs her up throughout the whole novel just for her to appear caught, again, at Jezebel's
    5. she's not just physically caught but she's mentally given up and says 'everything considered i like this outfit better' and 'im not a martyr' showing her earlier resistance to the regime to be ultimately futile

Didn't really know how to conclude so i said whilst I believe Moira's resistance has been futile I don't believe that Atwood intended her message to be that all resistance is futile, rather that we need to resist in numbers and not just go it alone where i should have again put in some modern day context
    I see what you're saying about the complexity of authority figures, and I used that as the basis of my essay. I talked about how

1) AF are portrayed as hypocritical and corrupt as they deny others fundamental rights that they would not deny themselves, e.g. The commander

2) AF illustrate the divide between oppressed groups, e.g. The Aunts and Serena Joy. They are females that enable the oppression of other females. Then I used a quote from the historical notes made by the Professor about how throughout history control of people by others within their 'group' has always been common. I then linked this to the feminist movement and how women ought to examine not only patriarchy, but also divides within.

Then I did 2 paragraphs on Blake on the Church exploiting children and restricting free love through abusing their authority

That sounds like a good essay, and I like your conclusion about Atwood's intentions. Don't worry too much, if your other AOs are strong then that might make up for minimal context.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teenhorrorstory)
    I see what you're saying about the complexity of authority figures, and I used that as the basis of my essay. I talked about how

1) AF are portrayed as hypocritical and corrupt as they deny others fundamental rights that they would not deny themselves, e.g. The commander

2) AF illustrate the divide between oppressed groups, e.g. The Aunts and Serena Joy. They are females that enable the oppression of other females. Then I used a quote from the historical notes made by the Professor about how throughout history control of people by others within their 'group' has always been common. I then linked this to the feminist movement and how women ought to examine not only patriarchy, but also divides within.

Then I did 2 paragraphs on Blake on the Church exploiting children and restricting free love through abusing their authority

That sounds like a good essay, and I like your conclusion about Atwood's intentions. Don't worry too much, if your other AOs are strong then that might make up for minimal context.
    Yeah i hope so and those are really good points, i wouldn't have been able to think of arguing the authority figures in thmt in such a short decision making period😂

My section c was basically

1. The villagers are far from authority figures and are basically lawless showing them to have little impact and their powerful mob mentality (London riots) with the attack on the groom
    2. You could also argue that they brought their own demise around through xenophobia etc and that Edmund Jordan wasn't really necessary for that
    3. However Jordan would have come regardless of whether they were xenophobic or not and he was a violent leader who didn't care about them, presenting authority figures as self serving and tyrannical
    4. Blake takes a similar approach eg. Contrast London and the misery there (mentioned tory government profiting off of the proletariat and the slave trade) with the echoing green where everyone lives in peace without authority figures
    5. The church as cold and uncaring in the garden of love
    6. Conclusion saying both authors present af as self serving and tyrannical however crace is less forgiving to the common man

Hopefully we've both written decent enough essays to get good grades in august

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CatusStarbright)
    Awesome

We're doing the political and social protest side of the spec instead for A2, so I'm studying The Kite Runner, The Handmaid's Tale and Songs of Innocence and of Experience ((a) poem collection(s) by William Blake). We have the same tragedy texts

For paper 2 we can make our own choice as to which we use for the whole text question and which we used for the comparison, so it'll depend on which text will best go together for the Section C question and the one left over will be used for the whole text. That's my strategy anyway.

Hey, I'm did exactly those 3 texts for paper 2. But for the Handmaids question, I opted for the 'Authority figures' question, and the problem is that I based me entire argument around how Offred could have unfairly misrepresented Gilead. How we learn from the historical notes that Gilead was compelled by circumstances (Drop in birth rate, "lost generation) due to the hike in contraception and other tools in the 80's. Talked of Offred being an unreliable narrator, how her narration may be coloured with emotions and hatred for Gilead thus unreliable. I did talk about commanders also, how they are presented as somewhat hypocritical, facilitate Offred in breaking Gilead's law.

In the midst of all this, I'm really worried I probably deviated too much from the question and didn't answer the question as they ask about 'figures' and I focus on Gilead too much.

What do you think? Will I be fine? A reply will be much appreciated. Cheers 🙃.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CatusStarbright)
    Awesome

We're doing the political and social protest side of the spec instead for A2, so I'm studying The Kite Runner, The Handmaid's Tale and Songs of Innocence and of Experience ((a) poem collection(s) by William Blake). We have the same tragedy texts

For paper 2 we can make our own choice as to which we use for the whole text question and which we used for the comparison, so it'll depend on which text will best go together for the Section C question and the one left over will be used for the whole text. That's my strategy anyway.
    Hey, I did exactly those 3 texts for paper 2. But for the Handmaids question, I opted for the 'Authority figures' question, and the problem is that I based my entire argument around how Offred unfairly presents Gilead as we learn from the historical notes that Gilead was compelled by circumstances (Drop in birth rate, the fear of a "lost generation") due to the hike in contraception and other such tools in the 80's. Talked of Offred being an unreliable narrator, how her narration may be coloured with emotions and hatred for Gilead thus unreliable. I did talk about commanders also, how they are presented as somewhat hypocritical, facilitate Offred in breaking Gilead's law.

In the midst of all this, I'm really worried I probably deviated too much from the question and didn't answer the question as they ask about 'figures' and I focus on Gilead too much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leah0412)
    Yeah i hope so and those are really good points, i wouldn't have been able to think of arguing the authority figures in thmt in such a short decision making period😂

My section c was basically

1. The villagers are far from authority figures and are basically lawless showing them to have little impact and their powerful mob mentality (London riots) with the attack on the groom
    2. You could also argue that they brought their own demise around through xenophobia etc and that Edmund Jordan wasn't really necessary for that
    3. However Jordan would have come regardless of whether they were xenophobic or not and he was a violent leader who didn't care about them, presenting authority figures as self serving and tyrannical
    4. Blake takes a similar approach eg. Contrast London and the misery there (mentioned tory government profiting off of the proletariat and the slave trade) with the echoing green where everyone lives in peace without authority figures
    5. The church as cold and uncaring in the garden of love
    6. Conclusion saying both authors present af as self serving and tyrannical however crace is less forgiving to the common man

Hopefully we've both written decent enough essays to get good grades in august
    Hey, for the Handmaids question, I opted for the 'Authority figures' question (question in relation to two texts), and the problem is that I based my entire argument around how Offred unfairly presents Gilead as we learn from the historical notes that Gilead was compelled by circumstances (Drop in birth rate, the fear of a "lost generation") due to the hike in contraception and other such tools in the 80's. Talked of Offred being an unreliable narrator, how her narration may be coloured with emotions and hatred for Gilead thus unreliable. I did talk about commanders also, how they are presented as somewhat hypocritical, facilitate Offred in breaking Gilead's law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abdul349)
    Hey, for the Handmaids question, I opted for the 'Authority figures' question (question in relation to two texts), and the problem is that I based my entire argument around how Offred unfairly presents Gilead as we learn from the historical notes that Gilead was compelled by circumstances (Drop in birth rate, the fear of a "lost generation" due to the hike in contraception and other such tools in the 80's. Talked of Offred being an unreliable narrator, how her narration may be coloured with emotions and hatred for Gilead thus unreliable. I did talk about commanders also, how they are presented as somewhat hypocritical, facilitate Offred in breaking Gilead's law.

I can't really say much without reading your essay and it depends on how much you split talking about Gilead vs the commanders because unless you spun it cleverly im not sure how offred being an unreliable narrator is that relevant to the question. However, section c wasn't just on the handmaid's tale you had to write about another text too and if you stuck to authority figures on that one then it will minimise the effect of going a bit off track earlier most likely. Also if your AOs are strong then it also shouldn't damage your mark too much like context is context regardless of how relevant the point you've made is. There's not much we can do now so the best advice is just try not to stress out about it; it's only a small part of one essay out of the 6 we had to do and there's also coursework involved in the overall grade too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abdul349)
    Hey, I did exactly those 3 texts for paper 2. But for the Handmaids question, I opted for the 'Authority figures' question, and the problem is that I based my entire argument around how Offred unfairly presents Gilead as we learn from the historical notes that Gilead was compelled by circumstances (Drop in birth rate, the fear of a "lost generation" due to the hike in contraception and other such tools in the 80's. Talked of Offred being an unreliable narrator, how her narration may be coloured with emotions and hatred for Gilead thus unreliable. I did talk about commanders also, how they are presented as somewhat hypocritical, facilitate Offred in breaking Gilead's law.

Sounds like you may have drifted off-topic a little, but if you tied it into the question cleverly, then you did fine. I wouldn't worry about it now, what's done is done and I'm sure you did fine

ReputationRep:
    Check out my recent thread!
    English Literature: Othello

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.