The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CatusStarbright
I'm doing exactly the same except as you except, we're doing the tragedy anthology poems instead of Hardy's. :smile:

Can you please help me with some Othello and death of a salesman please? pm me please?
What essay questions have you found because we can't do much exam practice seeing as it's a new syllabus
Original post by cecilia.adekoya
What essay questions have you found because we can't do much exam practice seeing as it's a new syllabus

I have a couple of essay questions ill post them here tomorrow as they are on my computer

Posted from TSR Mobile
The texts I am studying at are: Tess of the d'Urbervilles, Othello, Death of a Salesman.
Ditto.
I like all the texts we're studying, but I have to say that I think Tess is my favourite too.
Ditto.
Original post by mughushed
Hey, I'm doing Tess of the d'Urbervilles, Death of a Salesman & Othello too.
Ditto
Original post by mughushed
How is everyone revising for their exams? I'm not sure where to begin except to learn quotes for closed book texts!
Just for the record, it's quotations. Quote is a verb.
Original post by 04MR17
Just for the record, it's quotations. Quote is a verb.

Thanks, I found out a few days after I made the post but didn't bother to edit it
Write your own/ Adapt some others to a more similar style of question as the exam. For instance I'm not doing AS but going for the full A Level, so I've been adapting some of the Tess questions I found (attached) to questions for my exam.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Do you guys always link each paragraph to a tragic aspect?
Yes. For AO4 you need to talk about the genre. Not necessarily 'a tragic aspect' but certainly if the text at that point conforms to the genre's conventions or subverts them etc. Basically saying: How is it tragic?
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Do you guys always link each paragraph to a tragic aspect?

In Hardy's poetry we refer to the tragic aspects of: pride, guilt and regret, fall from happiness to misery, chance, missed opportunities, suffering and grief, the joy of the past compared to the present, passing of time, despairing resolution, love love, irony, the vagaries of fortune, relationships which have turned sour, silence and reticence, social stigma, tragic realisation, belatedness, accidents, loss, death and living death, ghosts, bad luck, nostalgia, tragic mistakes and uncaring deities.

I guess you could use these if you wanted, with Othello, given that there are some links with tragedy.
Original post by 04MR17
Write your own/ Adapt some others to a more similar style of question as the exam. For instance I'm not doing AS but going for the full A Level, so I've been adapting some of the Tess questions I found (attached) to questions for my exam.

What kinds of Tess questions have you made?

what texts are you studying i have loads for death of a salesman
Original post by bethanylunn1999
what texts are you studying i have loads for death of a salesman

I'm studying Tess of the d'Urbervilles, Othello, death of a salesman and Thomas Hardy's poetry
Here are some essay questions I have found. Some are from CliffsNotes, some from GradeSaver, some from my teacher and some of the Death of a Salesman ones from @bethanylunn1999

They go in the order of: Death of a Salesman, Othello, Poems of Thomas Hardy and Tess of the d'Urbervilles.
Here are some essay questions I have found. Some are from CliffsNotes, some from GradeSaver, some from my teacher and some of the Death of a Salesman ones from @bethanylunn1999

They go in the order of: Death of a Salesman, Othello, Poems of Thomas Hardy and Tess of the d'Urbervilles.

Excellent - thank you!
Excellent - thank you!

Glad I could help :smile:
for those doing Great Gatsby....Explore the view that Gatsby is more to be pitied than admired..What do you think because I'm really not sure what view to take! i think he's probably more pitied due to his tragic love for daisy and yet he did make something out of nothing and nick obviously thinks gatsby is everything
I'm quite similar to you.

Doing Death of a Salesman and the 17 Hardy Poems.
Then I do King Lear, instead of Othello. As well as The Great Gatsby, instead of Tess.

Particularly in regards to Othello, how are you planning on revising the quotations? Considering it is closed-book, I'm in a bit of a panic,
Most of the close book exam questions do not particularly need many quotations and you could answer them without, not that you would get a high grade but it is possible to analyse the book as a whole without pinpointing. To learn quotations go through each act or significant section and pick roughly ten quotations for each that are quite flexible so they can fit several questions once you have picked the quotations write them on sticky notes and stick them literally everywhere you look. you will start memorising them soon enough and some should already stick. i would say it would be handy to have 50+ quotations per text.
Original post by bethanylunn1999
Most of the close book exam questions do not particularly need many quotations and you could answer them without, not that you would get a high grade but it is possible to analyse the book as a whole without pinpointing. To learn quotations go through each act or significant section and pick roughly ten quotations for each that are quite flexible so they can fit several questions once you have picked the quotations write them on sticky notes and stick them literally everywhere you look. you will start memorising them soon enough and some should already stick. i would say it would be handy to have 50+ quotations per text.

I agree. It's a good idea to have quotes that could fit lots of questions and ones you have lots to say about. I think 50 quotes is a bit much to remember, I'm aiming for around 30.
What kinds of Tess questions have you made?
READ THIS FIRST: These questions are all generic to tragedy. Adaptations to each text will be necessary. All questions end with: "To what extent do you agree?" The questions in Section A here (Q1-11), are tailored to the A Level Aspects of Tragedy paper section C. The term tragedy, will usually have to be replaced with 'the tragedy of *enter text here*'. The questions in Section B (Q12-16) are specifically for Tess.
SECTION A:
1.) "As tragic endings are always inevitable, the genre has become predictable and formulaic."
2.) "The desire to be happy is the ultimate cause of tragic circumstance"
3.) "The tragic protagonist is always the victim of their own conscience, rather than of a suppressive society."
4.) "The tragic protagonist is responsible for their own downfall."
5.) "In tragedy, the destruction of the hero, is necessary, and is upholding of the essential rights and institutions of ethical life."
6.) "The incentive moment in tragedy must be primarily a violation of moral law, whether human or divine."
7.) "Tragedy reaches its greatest depth: when the opposition between the particular, and universal, makes itself felt."
8.) "A tragic character, is one estranged from his complete self, who feels the pangs of isolation and the insufficiency of a divided nature."
9.) "Tragedy, is the consequence of a man's total compulsion to evaluate himself justly."
10.) "In the tragic view, the need of man to wholly realise himself, is the only 'fixed star', and whatever it is that hedges his nature and lowers it, is ripe for attack and examination."
11.) The tragic hero is always presented as the victim of circumstance."
SECTION B
12.) "Tess's future is determined by her history"
13.) "The tragedy of Tess depicts the destruction of the English peasantry through elaborate description of setting."
14.) "Tess's tragedy is fundamentally caused by 'the cruelty of lust and the fragility of love'"
15.) "Tess of the d'Urbervilles is a 'modern tragedy of people uprooted, in perpetual motion, searching for a home'."
16.) "Whatever the character of Alec d'Urberville does, Hardy never succeeds in presenting him as anything but a stage villain."

Latest

Trending

Trending