Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can I go back and study nursing after graduating with a business management degree? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, my situation is as follows. In scotland. A-levels in biology, physics, and business studies (all A grade)- Is it possible for me to get into anywhere on 2016 entry?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wildivor)
    Hi all, my situation is as follows:

- A-levels in mathematics, physics, and business studies (all A grade)
    - Then I went to university to study business management. I didn't like it very much, but I got a 2:1
    - About half way through that university course I realized my heart wasn't in it
    - In the past year since leaving university, I have been "mooching around" career wise, basically saving money in dead end jobs
    - I have no interest in that kind of job and have been doing a lot of thinking and research and would really like to train to be a nurse

I just don't know if it's realistically possible. I know there is NHS funding available, but I also know they recently changed that?

Would my A-levels be alright for nursing? I also don't have any work experience in healthcare (although lots in other areas), is that okay? Is it possible for me to get into anywhere on 2016 entry?

Get 2-3 work experience FIRST and then decide, I'm sure it will be okay and easier to get into after you had relevant work experience

Glad your are following your heart

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately the UCAS deadline for 2016 entry was back in January so you would have to see which universities have spaces left and ask if they would consider a late application, however if I'm being honest I think without any work experience at all I think you will struggle to get a place this year. Nursing is highly competitive but even more so this year with the changes to NHS bursaries.

I agree with the previous post that you should definitely try and get some experience first and see if you still want to do it. You could try and go for March 2017 entry which I believe is still NHS funded but I'm not certain. Either way, there will be loans available for September 2017 so if you really want to be a nurse you still can!

There are postgraduate programmes in Nursing too which are usually shorter courses. Many of them require you to have a first degree in a relevant subject like Biology or Health & Social Care etc. However some universities (like City of London I think) will accept any degree subject, you will just obviously need lots of experience to show why you now want to be a nurse.

I hope that this is helpful. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.