Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    John Oliver showed himself to be an absolute tit on his show as he had a twenty minute segment essentially failing to criticize Trump's many, massive flaws, and instead choosing to mock his name. This type of identity politics and personal attacks has plagued US politics for decades, and has started to become incredibly common here in the UK.

Oliver showed a staggering lack of political insight into why people vote for Trump; they are tired of the establishment, the same reason they are flocking to Sanders. They are tired of the status quo, and Wall Street, and the stagnation of an entire system as politicians promise the bare minimum and still fail to deliver. People vote for Trump because he doesn't care. Him and Sanders are outside the establishment; Trump funds his own campaign, and Sanders refuses to take big money donations.

Trump can literally lie through his teeth but still gain support, because the media frankly has no idea how to deal with him. Call him names in the press and attack him? That makes no difference, everyone and their mothers call Trump a racist, and he takes it because he knows it still gains him support. The people at the bottom of the pile who are tired of getting kicked around and failed by a system they cannot change have decided enough is enough, and to go for a candidate that is massively flawed and frankly awful in all ways but one: he promises change.

I am by no means a Trump supporter although I find myself agreeing with a great deal of his policies, and as a UK citizen, I have no major say in anything going on in the presidential race, but my facebook feed is flooded with people sharing the Oliver video and tagging their friends, taking part in what is essentially bullying because they fail to realise they are only strengthening the support for Trump. Instead of attacking the name his grandfather changed at a time where it was common in the face of anti-German sentiment, attack his stance on Climate Change. Instead of mocking his hair, focus on his dangerous nuclear weapons policies. Do not attempt to Stump the Trump.

ReputationRep:
    Actually he did focus on his massive flaws, the fact he's a proven liar, the fact he's not as 'tough' as he pretends, the fact he refused to disavow the kkk's backing, the fact he has taken both sides on nearly every debate, the fact that despite what he says, he's had some huge business failures etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The "mainstream media" don't even understand (or refuse to admit at least) what it is that is making them (Trump and Sanders) popular... never mind actually deal with it. Hillary and co has underestimated Sanders (even though she is still favourite to win) which allowed him to rise, and it is likely she will underestimate Trump in the general as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemting)
    The "mainstream media" don't even understand (or refuse to admit at least) what it is that is making them (Trump and Sanders) popular... never mind actually deal with it. Hillary and co has underestimated Sanders (even though she is still favourite to win) which allowed him to rise, and it is likely she will underestimate Trump in the general as well.
    You can't seriously put trump and sanders in the same bracket.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    You can't seriously put trump and sanders in the same bracket.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Depends what you mean by "same bracket"...

ReputationRep:
    I saw this going round on Tumblr:

It's almost as if political commentators know more about politics (and what facsism means) than politically ignorant folk on social media!!!

ReputationRep:
    Name:  pathetic-min.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  68.4 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KnowYourEnemy)
    Name:  pathetic-min.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  68.4 KB
    Trump... after Sanders... probably said the most reasonable thing about Israel/Palestine in the last debate.

ReputationRep:
    The Jewish establishment

They do everything to put people they want the most into power like Hillary Clinton

Like in Britain ever since Corbyn a lot of Jewish billionaires have stopped financing them.

Democracy is bought with their money to serve their interests. It is why we'll never get any change on foreign policy and their military interventionism.

Hillary Clinton gets her foreign policy advice from people like Kissinger.

I think America today is a lot like pre-Nazi Germany in that a small minority of a few percent own nearly all the media, they even create the money with Federal Reserve. They are massively over-represented in government. This was exactly what Germany was like until they had enough...

These are facts you can verify. Start looking at what the Jews did to the Germans as soon as they had equal rights in Germany they screwed the German people and took control.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JaiITheBankers)
    The Jewish establishment

They do everything to put people they want the most into power like Hillary Clinton

Like in Britain ever since Corbyn a lot of Jewish billionaires have stopped financing them.

Democracy is bought with their money to serve their interests. It is why we'll never get any change on foreign policy and their military interventionism.

Hillary Clinton gets her foreign policy advice from people like Kissinger.

I think America today is a lot like pre-Nazi Germany in that a small minority of a few percent own nearly all the media, they even create the money with Federal Reserve. They are massively over-represented in government. This was exactly what Germany was like until they had enough...

These are facts you can verify. Start looking at what the Jews did to the Germans as soon as they had equal rights in Germany they screwed the German people and took control.

ReputationRep:
    loooooool I saw this, I don't know anything about politics but even I was like the whole name thing is going too far I mean really? What is this primary school? I get he might have added it in for comedic value but it got old pretty quick.

ReputationRep:
    You must have watched something different because he spent about 18 minutes focusing on Trump's faults and the rest on his name.
    I think it was excellent. He owned Trump, destroyed him and much of what he stands for. I suspect though, it will fall on deaf ears. It looks like it already has, sadly.

People may be tired of the typical political establishment, but Trump has a lot of flaws which show him either as an idiot, as a liar, or a hypocrite, and John Oliver proved some of those.
    Congratulations on glossing over it though. That must have taken some work.

Two tits firing shots at each other.

Great.

ReputationRep:
    Stephen Crowder received an email by mistake , from a chat show exec, telling him that they( media chatshows in general) don't invite people from the right, Conserbative onto chat shows. Wrong type ogbguest bringing up the wrong type of subjetct I suppose.
    Basically explains why you never see Oliver doing one on Clinton and the missing emails or Clinton and Benghazi or Clinton and White water or Clinton and the alledged leaning on Bills sexual accusers.
    Call me naive but I don't want to believe in a Hollywood left-wing conspiracy, but sometimes it is hard.
    Right wing radio hosts etc make little attempt to hide their agenda so at least you know what they are at.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caravaggio2)
    Stephen Crowder received an email by mistake , from a chat show exec, telling him that they( media chatshows in general) don't invite people from the right, Conserbative onto chat shows. Wrong type ogbguest bringing up the wrong type of subjetct I suppose.
    Basically explains why you never see Oliver doing one on Clinton and the missing emails or Clinton and Benghazi or Clinton and White water or Clinton and the alledged leaning on Bills sexual accusers.
    Call me naive but I don't want to believe in a Hollywood left-wing conspiracy, but sometimes it is hard.
    Right wing radio hosts etc make little attempt to hide their agenda so at least you know what they are at.
    Ring wing radio hosts love to shout "LIBERAL MEDIA!" "LIBERAL MEDIA!" when they ask hard questions to conservatives... but the truth is a lot of "liberal media" is corrupted towards neo-progressivism ("regressive left") or towards ultra-hardline social justice, and they are HUGELY biased towards establishment liberals (i.e. Clinton and co) who are only liberal by name. They are heavily biased against true liberalism (I understand I'm playing the no true liberal fallacy but I think in this case its justified).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arkasia)
    Do not attempt to Stump the Trump.
    I agree, as that is impossible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Can'tStumpTrump)
    This train has no breaks....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Can'tStumpTrump)
    What if Trump is plant by Hillary to bring down the Republican party so she can win the presidency? Will he be stumped then?

ReputationRep:
    I've been increasingly unsatisfied with John Oliver's attitude and messages over the past year or so. Going after Trumps name, of all things, and thinking he's making some kind of intelligent of point? He is becoming a tit, and falling way off the left-wing/progressive deep end.

I outright disagree with Trump on so many of his policies, and the man is obviously an ignorant ass. But by God, I want him to win. The more ridiculous nonsense he says, and the more people slander, bash, and call him names, the more I find myself defending and siding with the guy. I know a lot of other people feel the same way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemting)
    What if Trump is plant by Hillary to bring down the Republican party so she can win the presidency? Will he be stumped then?
    Not realistic possibility anymore, Trump will devastate Hillary at the Presidentials

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 3, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.