Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How can I go from my current situation to a career in healthcare (looking at nursing) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, my situation is as follows. In scotland. A-levels in biology, physics, and business studies (all A grade)- Is it possible for me to get into anywhere on 2016 entry?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wildivor)
    Hi all, my situation is as follows:

-A-levels in mathematics, physics, and business studies (all A grade)
    - Then I went to university to study business management. I didn't like it very much, but I got a 2:1
    - About half way through that university course I realized my heart wasn't in it
    - In the past year since leaving university, I have been "mooching around" career wise, basically saving money in dead end jobs
    - I have no interest in that kind of job and have been doing a lot of thinking and research and would really like to train to be a nurse

I just don't know if it's realistically possible. I know there is NHS funding available, but I also know they recently changed that? Would my A-levels be alright for nursing? I also don't have any work experience in healthcare (although lots in other areas), is that okay? Is it possible for me to get into anywhere on 2016 entry?
    Are you in England or Scotland

ReputationRep:
    England. Should have said that - I'll edit it in.
    I am heading out right now, but will be back later; and will try and give some info when I get back

ReputationRep:
    As said in the other forums that you've posted in,
    Get some experience as nurse, paramedic etc as you've said are very different careers. Experience will also help your application should you choose to go on and apply.
    You could apply through clearing but please bear in mind the spaces fill very quickly and you need to be aware of what the course and career entails whatever you choose.
    Bursaries stop from Aug 2017 so a March intake would be possible but spaces will fill quick due to imminent bursary cessation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean by a March intake?
    A lot of universities that run pre reg nursing courses have two intakes a year, one in the autumn and one in the spring.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.