Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

Can anyone tell me if we are allowed to study a Posgradate course on a part-time basis at Royal Holloway and work more than 20 hours per week? I've read that they only allow you to work such hours but I'm not sure if it only applies for full-time students.

ReputationRep:
    They can't really dictate how many hours you work outside of university. I do imagine it would apply to full time student. The assumption of part time students is that they are working/doing something else that requires most of their daily hours such as parenting etc.

Check out the areas of the forum dedicated to Royal Holloway. You may find somebody there studying part time who will be able to advise you further

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm a current part-time postgrad at RHUL. I'm in my second year of Masters now (music) and I've been working throughout to fund my studies & living expenses etc. I work a minimum of 25hrs a week but usually more like 30+ and it's not a problem at all - I spread my time across a couple of jobs, both of which are for the university, and so far I haven't had any problems with this.

I think I would have been made aware if I was exceeding the limit especially as I work for the institution itself - as already pointed out, I think the general assumption is that p/t students are of course working as well so it's a little different to the usual 20hr limit as a full-time student I guess!

I have no idea if you're a UK/EU student or from further afield, but the only thing you have to be wary of is that all the rules are different for international students because of work limits on visas etc, which I believe is a very strict 20hrs a week if not less, and the university does firmly crack down on it - I don't really know all the ins and outs of that, but just something to know.

Anyway, hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the info!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.