Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey all, Bnaca here!
    Just got a few questions.
    I am currently studying 8 subjects at National 5. I have just finished my prelims, and I thought those were tough...
    I was wrong. I have assignments, folios and homework from every class to do, and can't seem to keep organised. Any tips?

Like I said, I am studying 8 subjects. To me, it is proving a monolithic task. Do National 5s count for anything? Bearing in mind I already know what I want to do for Higher. My dilemma is: Either I study for all 8 subjects and get average grades across the board (and might miss doing highers) or I focus on the 5 I want to do for Higher. Opinions?

Finally, I am currently in the middle of assignments, like I said. Any tips on how to do the History one? I'm doing the Tsarina's role on the Russian Revolution. How do I structure it? Layout? etc etc

Thanks!
    -Bnaca <3

ReputationRep:
    National 5s will only matter if you wish to apply to english unis. If there's a few subjects you don't want to do, you could easily drop down to N4. When i was sitting my n5s i was doing 8 then in a few weeks after the prelim ended up only doing 5 subjects and it's completely fine! I think there's some schools that only offer 5 n5s at 4th year to begin with, so honestly don't be too stressed if you do have to drop some of them.

The history assignment should be in the style of an essay. You should have an essay question then proceed to answer that. You should have an intro, about 5 main body paragraphs each on a different factor then a conclusion. Also, i think for n5 you need to gave a certain amount of historiography and you get marks for that, you should be able to find a marking scheme online. It's just about as long as you can write in the time given, but make sure youre getting ku and analysis marks and whatnot. I'm sure your teacher will help.

Just out of curiosity what other n5s are you doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi alana_p! Thanks for your reply, it has really helped.
    I see what you mean, 8 is just too many.
    My 8 include: History, Maths, English, Biology, French, Chemistry, Art and RMPS.
    -Bnaca <3
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    what are you planning to do at higher and then in the future, uni etc?

ReputationRep:
    At Higher, I would like to study History, Biology, Maths, English and French.
    I'm a bit in 2 minds in terms of career choices. I have always loved History, so a secondary school history teacher would be great. But I also really like psychology, particularly, criminology.
    In terms of universities, Edinburgh University would be my ideal place to study. I love the city (particularly the history )
    -Bnaca <3

ReputationRep:
    Maybe wait a bit and talk with teachers/parents and you can begin to decide if you do want to drop anything. Remember though, if you do your exam and get a fail, you'll automatically get your N4 award anyways. So there's no harm if you do try up to the exam also! But really, N5s really mean nothing and say you do drop an N5 this year and in s6 want to take that at higher you'll be allowed to crash it as most of the time the course isn't similar.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.