Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnnyCarr95)
    Hey,

I was just after peoples advice. I've applied to study Paramedic Science/Practice at Surrey, Sheffield Hallam, Anglia Ruskin and Teesside University to start September 2017. I've been fortunate to receive offers from Anglia Ruskin and Surrey but I'm still awaiting decisions from Teesside and Sheffield Hallam.

Intially, my firm choice(s) are between Teeside and Sheffield. However at Surrey, your tuition fees are funded through the NHS as well as receiving a bursary on top of that.

I was therefore wondering given the free tuition at Surrey, should that be the deciding factor for my firm choice? Or have tuition fees not been a major inconvenience for graduate paramedics?

Thanks
    Johnny
    Id assume tuition fees for paramedic science is the same for any other course and you only start repaying after you earn £21k a year.

Which is the starting rate for a paramedic, but I believe the amount you repay monthly is tiny. I've heard amounts ranging from like £25-£60 a month. And then I'm sure if you haven't paid it off after 25 years or something, it gets written off anyway?

Go with the uni you love, not for the NHS funding. I was like that with Northampton, wanted to go mainly for the NHS funding but I only got their reserve list, so I'm kinda glad I didn't get an offer because I love staffs where I have an offer.

Make your decision based on the uni, location, if the layout of the course is right for you etc

ReputationRep:
    Looking for advice from experienced people, or just opinions in general...
    Would people advise doing a BSc or FdSc? I have offers for both but I'm really stuck as to which to choose. I absolutely loved both universities I have offers from, and both courses have equal amount of pros and cons for me personally. I really am stuck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _homesick__)
    Looking for advice from experienced people, or just opinions in general...
    Would people advise doing a BSc or FdSc? I have offers for both but I'm really stuck as to which to choose. I absolutely loved both universities I have offers from, and both courses have equal amount of pros and cons for me personally. I really am stuck!
    Where are your offers?

ReputationRep:
    I've firmed BCU! Anybody else on here going?We have a Facebook group but I'm sure it seems like barely anyone is going!

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone heard back from Teesside yet? Had my interview on the 16th of Feb and still haven't heard anything back from them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by koatway)
    Has anyone heard back from Teesside yet? Had my interview on the 16th of Feb and still haven't heard anything back from them
    Apparently all 2017 is full so there offering for 2018 now, my interview was on the 16th too at 1pm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by koatway)
    Hey, I have an offer for September. I think only a few people have heard back so far though... a few friends of mine are still waiting.

Amy

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know if Portsmouth is funded or not? We have a facebook group and everyone seems to have been told something different!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nic1026)
    Anyone know if Portsmouth is funded or not? We have a facebook group and everyone seems to have been told something different!
    I believe it has changed for the 2017 intake, it was funded but it is not anymore

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nic1026)
    Portsmouth told me they arent funded anymore. I believe the only universities that are funded in England for Paramedic science is Oxford Brooke's and Surrey

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shannon2403)
    Portsmouth told me they arent funded anymore. I believe the only universities that are funded in England for Paramedic science is Oxford Brooke's and Surrey
    Northampton is too 🙂

ReputationRep:
    Hey all.

Looking for some advice. I'm 21 and I have previously applied for Bsc(Hons) Paramedic Science. First time round I didn't get any interviews. However, second time around I got some interviews but failed to get a place. Since then I've kinda lost hope in ever actually getting into university.

I'm still learning to drive, my test is very soon and I need to retake my GCSE Maths (I was 3 marks off a C). I have studied BTEC Level 2 Public Services and both BTEC Level 3 - Extended Diploma in Public Services and Health and Social Care and achieved triple distinction * for both. I volunteer for St Johns Ambulance. Is there anything else I can do to aid my application for the next intake?

Thank you in advance,
    Shan (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shanj0nes)
    Hey all.

Looking for some advice. I'm 21 and I have previously applied for Bsc(Hons) Paramedic Science. First time round I didn't get any interviews. However, second time around I got some interviews but failed to get a place. Since then I've kinda lost hope in ever actually getting into university.

I'm still learning to drive, my test is very soon and I need to retake my GCSE Maths (I was 3 marks off a C). I have studied BTEC Level 2 Public Services and both BTEC Level 3 - Extended Diploma in Public Services and Health and Social Care and achieved triple distinction * for both. I volunteer for St Johns Ambulance. Is there anything else I can do to aid my application for the next intake?

Thank you in advance,
    Shan (:

While doing GCSE maths consider doing another Science topic at College, A level Biology / Chem or BTEC equivalents, also consider joining your local Ambulance Service as a Community First Responder, or moving up within St John to Advanced First Aid or EMT (AAP) if you haven't already.

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

I've received an offer to study Paramedic Science at Sheffield Hallam University starting March 2018. However, I'm a bit worried that not many people will attend this intake which makes accommodation more difficult.

Has anyone else been offered a March intake? Or has anyone started at a later intake previously?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorgontron)
    While doing GCSE maths consider doing another Science topic at College, A level Biology / Chem or BTEC equivalents, also consider joining your local Ambulance Service as a Community First Responder, or moving up within St John to Advanced First Aid or EMT (AAP) if you haven't already.
    I've already applied for A-level biology but they won't take me because of my BTEC science, even though I got distinction *, they said I wouldn't be able to cope.

I can't be a CFR because I haven't got my license and I'm pretty sure you have to have 2 years driving experience.

I'm also trying to work my way up within St John!

ReputationRep:
    I've already applied for A-level biology but they won't take me because of my BTEC science, even though I got distinction *, they said I wouldn't be able to cope.

I can't be a CFR because I haven't got my license and I'm pretty sure you have to have 2 years driving experience.

Ah yeah, I forgot about the driving, maybe do BTEC Applied Science at college, and bug your Area Manager at St John and get yourself onto AFA, also get out to as many events as possible treat some patients, don't know what its like for you but if you have an Student Paramedics or EMT's in your unit try to go to any duties they are on and get learning from them, they are a great source of experience, gives you something to talk about in interviews.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnnyCarr95)
    Hey everyone,

I've received an offer to study Paramedic Science at Sheffield Hallam University starting March 2018. However, I'm a bit worried that not many people will attend this intake which makes accommodation more difficult.

Has anyone else been offered a March intake? Or has anyone started at a later intake previously?

Thanks
    Loads of people on the "so you want to be a paramedic" Facebook group have got offers for march intake at SHU

ReputationRep:

Try doing an access to nursing course? Getting a job as a HCA will also give you really good experience and then just work on passing your driving test

Although when I applied I didn't have a license, I now do and have applied for c1 provisional which was good to tell unis at interview

ReputationRep:
    Hi, shanj0nes

I have been having the exact same problems as you this is my second time round and I received interviews with all my choices last year however I did not get offered a palce on the BSC paramedic course was offered other courses but i have been wanting to become a paramedic for the past 5 years. Last year I was told I was too young and needed more life experience first. I was 17 at the time and got full marks on my health and social care course, volunterred for SJA. This year I only applied for one university and did not get in even though I took on board what I was told and work in health now and have my driving licence and provisional C1 however finding it near impossible to get in anywhere. I found out yesterday I didn't get into university and feel a bit lost on what to do don't want to put my life on hold but I wont give up on becoming a paramedic.
    We both just need to keep motivated one day we will be in university and become a paramedic and will forget all about the struggle of getting in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by summer1021998)
    Hi, shanj0nes

I have been having the exact same problems as you this is my second time round and I received interviews with all my choices last year however I did not get offered a palce on the BSC paramedic course was offered other courses but i have been wanting to become a paramedic for the past 5 years. Last year I was told I was too young and needed more life experience first. I was 17 at the time and got full marks on my health and social care course, volunterred for SJA. This year I only applied for one university and did not get in even though I took on board what I was told and work in health now and have my driving licence and provisional C1 however finding it near impossible to get in anywhere. I found out yesterday I didn't get into university and feel a bit lost on what to do don't want to put my life on hold but I wont give up on becoming a paramedic.
    We both just need to keep motivated one day we will be in university and become a paramedic and will forget all about the struggle of getting in.
    Aw no! I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get in! Hopefully next year we will get in! I am hoping to get more experience within the health sector. I really neee to knuckle down and get my license and C in maths!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 6, 2017

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.