The Student Room Group

Dental hygienist vs Dentist

Scroll to see replies

No ones actually said how much hygienists earn and felt confident about it.

Anyone actually know? Because I originally wanted to do dentistry but my dxck of a head of year said I

couldnt get the grades so I'm now thinking of becoming a hygienist but my mum said they dont pay well?

thanksss.
At my practice, both Hygienist/dental therapists are on £30 per hour.
Hope this helps?
Original post by sixthformstudent

Anyone actually know? Because I originally wanted to do dentistry but my dxck of a head of year said I

couldnt get the grades so I'm now thinking of becoming a hygienist but my mum said they dont pay well?

thanksss.

The hygienist in my practice charges £25 for a 20 minute appoint. Equates to £75 an hour although she will have to give a certain proportion (for dentists it's 50%, not sure for hygienists) to the principal dentist for using the facilities.
Reply 83

thanksss.

Where I work they get paid £37 and above .Depends where in the country you will work ...
Reply 84

thanksss.

The hygienist at my practice earns 50k a year, this is after years of experience and also in a private practice. For an hour scale and polish she charges £108. The pay varies between areas in the country, but it is a good job and it pays well. I'd consider doing dental hygiene with dental therapy, not just hygiene alone as this would allow you to qualify as both a dental hygienist and a dental therapist... and therapists can extract baby teeth, give fillings to adult and children, pulp treatment on baby teeth, place crowns on baby teeth etc.
Reply 85
Hi,

If you go down the dental hygiene therapy route, after the 3 years of the course, is the person illegible to go on to the dentistry degree (BDS) route.

And what are your thought about the dental hygiene and therapy Diploma, could you again further that to a dentistry degree? Any good?
Reply 86
AKAIK the NHS salary for a hygienist therapist is around £27000 - £34000 pa. however I have heard of salaries circa £50000 in some (very very limited) private practices
Original post by fionak
I also forgot to mention that if you choose to become a dental hygienist/therapist and graduate as one and later change your mind and want to become a dentist then it's only another 18months to becoming one. if you do a hygiene only course then its another 3years to becoming a dentist. If you do not have good grades then you will find it very diffcult to become a dentist, as most of the students applying to universitys are choosing dentistry this means that the universitys can now choose to take only the best grades and this seems to be the case each year now. So you could go through the back door like alot of people I know have chosen to do by becoming a hygiene/therapist first.

really!! fionak, because iv applied for dental hygiene and therapy at Birmingham university and I would love to study further ad go onto to do dentistry after a while! but I thought you have to do the full five years again, also, which unis do the 18month course to dentistry from hygiene/therapy... please let me know :smile: thanks x
Reply 88
Original post by fionak
I also forgot to mention that if you choose to become a dental hygienist/therapist and graduate as one and later change your mind and want to become a dentist then it's only another 18months to becoming one. if you do a hygiene only course then its another 3years to becoming a dentist. If you do not have good grades then you will find it very diffcult to become a dentist, as most of the students applying to universitys are choosing dentistry this means that the universitys can now choose to take only the best grades and this seems to be the case each year now. So you could go through the back door like alot of people I know have chosen to do by becoming a hygiene/therapist first.

HI Fiona you seem to be very knowledgeable so can I ask you where do the 18 month top up courses run? Ivd hear of these a few time and can't find anywhere that does them.

thAnks x
Reply 89
Hi people, Ive been a technician for 10 years and Im applying for the hygiene therapy course in Cardiff. My time as a technician has been OK. Its a thankless job and the pay us terrible even though the skill invloved is enormous. I think the prospects are good for a hygienist as its not worth a dentists time to do the work of a hygienist on the NHS. Theres also a law in which a patient must be dentally fit in order to proceed with dentures and any other work.
Reply 90
I as a dental technician (student Cdt) feel your very wrong there. Dental technology is extreamly stressful, it requires a massive amount of skill, patients, practice and hard work. We work meny late nights and have to push ourselves hard to meet deadlines. I worked as a dental nurse for ten years and belive me when I say surgery is stressful but there is a different type of stress in the surgery, it is not as physically demanding or as pressured as it can be in the lab. Also the pay is no were near as low as you mentioned on average, but you have to be good to get good money.
Original post by fionak
Hi again,
Dentistry is the best pay with the highest stress as the buck usually stops with the dentist when it comes to other members of staff nurse, receptionist etc so they are sued more often than a hygienist/therapist its unheard of for them to get sued when you qualify as a dentist you become for two years what is called VT this means you will spend if your lucky the first couple of years in an NHS practice somewhere earning around 50k a year and thats if your lucky. You will not get a private practice place for many years as practice owners tend to like their associates to have a vast experience and an awful lot of post grad course and qualifactions under their belt. If your lucky enough to after many years get into a private practice then you can expect to earn about 90k a year if you own your own practice this will increase to about 150k a year with drawings. All of these salaries depend on the practice location and type of work carried out if you own a practice then will will have to accept to spend vast sums of money each year to keep ahead of advances in dentistry as this is where most of the money is in dentistry as an example this year alone we have spent 160k on equipment all of which was needed to keep ahead of other surgeries. A dental technician will only earn around 25k a year and thats if they are good at what they do however there is no where near the same amount of stress involved but the money is as you can see bad. As for Hyienist/therapist this for me was the best option as now the law has change it allowes us to work in private practice and there are only 380 in the whole country, it is stressfull you are resposible for your work like the dentist and it can pay very well. If you work in more than one practice you are also only allowed to work as self employed so you have the advantage as the dentsit to clam back lots of your salary each year. With regard to hygienist going to be in a few years out of work then I'm afraid this is rubbish, the number of hygienist will go down as they are now in most university's training Hygienist/therapist they will always be needed as they bring in big revenue to a practice more than most associates and as a result it is very uncommon to find a dental surgery without an hygienist. As a hygienist/therapist your have more freedom with your working week as you pick when you work hours/days etc, as there is such a big demand for them most practice owners are willing to accept what they can get there has always been a national shortage as I have been dong this for years and that fact has not changed yet. You will however find it very hard getting on one of these course's as they tend to take on dental nurses who already have a proven track record in surgery they look for manuel dexterity hobbies to prove there are no problems with your hands and some expierance in a surgery to see if you fully understand the role of a hygienist/therapist?.
Hope this answers everthing

Thank you for your insight!
Reply 92
Does studying dental hygiene AND therapy make you earn more money than just a dental hygienist

Original post by LibbyU
The hygienist at my practice earns 50k a year, this is after years of experience and also in a private practice. For an hour scale and polish she charges £108. The pay varies between areas in the country, but it is a good job and it pays well. I'd consider doing dental hygiene with dental therapy, not just hygiene alone as this would allow you to qualify as both a dental hygienist and a dental therapist... and therapists can extract baby teeth, give fillings to adult and children, pulp treatment on baby teeth, place crowns on baby teeth etc.
Heyy I was wondering are there alot of jobs within dental therapy in the uk??
Original post by NTariqxxx
Heyy I was wondering are there alot of jobs within dental therapy in the uk??

Me too have you found out
Original post by !pooja!
hey! i've applied for dental hygiene and therapy this year at cardiff, birmingham, manchester and kings. i've been rejected from cardiff and manchester and am still waiting for a decision from birmingham and kings.

it really does depend on what you can see yourself doing. i'd suggest combined dental hygiene and therapy instead of just hygiene as you will get to perform more treatments and have better career prospects. go for work experience with a dentist and a hygienist/therapist then decide which you prefer.

i have found hygiene/therapy VERY competetive! this is due to the limited number of places on the course, eg cardiff has 8, manchester has 12. manchester had 222 applicants this year! also you are competing with dental nurses who have lots of experience.

hope this helps! if you have any questions let me know.:smile:

Hi did they accept btec

Quick Reply

Latest