The Student Room Group

Parents are separating, will this affect my student loan?

Hello,

I have not applied for my student loan yet for 2016 but at the start of this year my parents announced they were separating. But they are still currently living together and are both bringing in an income into the household.

I'm not aware of when they will be finding new property but it will probably be after I start university. I'm not full aware of what actually is going on but know that I most likely will be living with my mum when I'm back who brings in a lower income and works less hours.

No legal documents have been signed but I know they have both gone to seek legal help regarding the situation. Will this have any affect on my student loan or will I still receive the same amount as they are still legally husband and wife? Is there a certain section that I'll see on the student finance website for this?

Any help will be appreciated.
Hi alenricroc

If your parents have separated you can request to be based using one sponsors household income. We will require evidence to confirm the separation.

Thanks
Hi. My son is in a similar position. He has started his first year and I am in the process of separating from my husband. He is moving out. Could the loan be reassessed at this point as we will struggle. Also what evidence could I use as he is moving in with a friend so there will be nothing formal about his new address
Original post by Teacherandmum
Hi. My son is in a similar position. He has started his first year and I am in the process of separating from my husband. He is moving out. Could the loan be reassessed at this point as we will struggle. Also what evidence could I use as he is moving in with a friend so there will be nothing formal about his new address

Hi Teacherandmum,

When there is a change to who supports a student's application we can look to make changes based on the situation.

If you will be continuing to support the student you can provide us with evidence of your separation. You should send this with a cover letter noting customer reference numbers for you & your son the date the separation happened to enable us to pro rata the student’s entitlement.

Acceptable evidence:

- Decree Nisi or Decree Absolute
- Most recently dated Council tax bill showing 25% single person occupancy discount
- Solicitors letter confirming separation
- Dissolution Order
- A Signed Affidavit
- Statutory declaration

If you've changed your name remember to send us some evidence of this as well (eg. marriage certificate showing maiden name etc).

Regards,

Stuart

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending