Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Edit: I realised this should maybe be in the York section so if a mod wants to move it there that would be nice

I have average grades but I have a fairly strong philosophical reference as well as a good essay. I've also got some work experience in journalism. What do you reckon my chances are to get into the MA in PPE at York? I've read somewhere that York is not overly selective but I'm worried as my grades aren't great. I'm hoping they will make me a conditional offer as I'm still finishing up my BA and am doing better this last year.

Also, a related question, I've been doing my BA over the past six years instead of three. This is partly because I've been working throughout this time but I think it makes my transcript look a bit messy. I started a course back in 2010 and finished it five years later etc. Should I try to find a transcript where the individual modules do not show the date they were passed (have not been able to do that yet)? Or should I try to work it to my advantage in my personal statement, saying something like "I've been gaining valuable work experience throughout my education"?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Please do not attempt to hide information or misrepresent it. You can put a positive spin on it in your PS and ask your referee to talk about it. Check if you meet the entry requirements and if in doubt, email and ask. No one on here can tell you how admissions tutors will view your application. Make sure you make a strong case for why uni, why this uni, what's unique about the course and how it fits with your career plans.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.