Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it okay to cut a timing belt with a pair of scissors ? Watch

ReputationRep:
    If I was to replace a head gasket , the timing belt would have to come off, as I would be putting a new timing belt on would it be okay if I were to cut off t he old timing belt as it would be quicker.

cheers

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I'd align everything and secure what you can with locking pins. Next, mark each toothed gear with a dot of tipex and put another corresponding alignment mark on the closest casting. That way you know where everything should be pointing when you come to rebuild.
    At that point you can remove or slacken the tensioner and the belt will drop off.

Making sure you can realign everything is pretty important. On a lot of diesel engines there's the added complication of the metering unit being driven off the timing belt so not only have you got to time the valve train you're also timing up your injection system too.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.