Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I am 16, and I'm very unsure about job id like, about how to utilise best my 18-30 sort of period.
    Has anyone got any tips, or quizzes, tests, questions, etc, which may help me realise what i would like to do - not just as a job, but in terms of travelling, taking a gap year, etc.
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaccaWare)
    So I am 16, and I'm very unsure about job id like, about how to utilise best my 18-30 sort of period.
    Has anyone got any tips, or quizzes, tests, questions, etc, which may help me realise what i would like to do - not just as a job, but in terms of travelling, taking a gap year, etc.
    Thank you
    I don't have any quizzes or questions, but I can do general advice (the kind of advice I would have liked to hear at your age - it might be helpful, it might now).

I would say to firstly not get too hung up on making career decisions right now. If you're picking A levels it obviously helps to know which sort of direction you want to go in (sciences, arts, humanities, or a mixture) because some uni courses/career options rely on you having certain knowledge, but the decisions you make now won't necessarily dictate the rest of your life. You could decide on a career at 16 only to discover another area of interest during college/uni/while travelling or in work. Most people have no idea about what they want to do, perhaps with the exception of people who have a particular 'calling' to something like medicine or nursing (or prodigious artists). If you don't have that kind of calling the best thing you can do is have an open mind and try and explore further the areas of interest you have now. Which subjects do you enjoy at school? What do you like to do in your spare time? What would you do if money wasn't an object? Do you crave freedom and travel or structure and work?

Mostly, the advice I would give to anyone who is 16 and thinking about the big decisions is to listen to yourself. I know it's difficult when you have lots of voices coming at you - voices of teachers, parents/guardians, peers, society, the news, people on here, but try and trust what your gut is telling you to do. Often we find ourselves conflicted about what to do because we have so many voices giving us different options. Try to take some time with your own thoughts and follow whatever you feel is best, because in the end you have to live with you for the rest of your life.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 1, 2016
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.