The Student Room Group

How long did you revise for GCSE and what were your grades?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by confusedbutton
I got 5A's and 3B's at GCSE which I was happy with! Arguably I could have worked harder but I think everyone says that! In terms of revision, I think it depended alot upon the subject - for me, maths required the most amount of work but I got the grade that I wanted which actually shocked me! I think for some subjects I started revising in January, although mostly in the Easter holidays and then some a couple of weeks before exams started :smile: If you have any questions about GCSEs, A-Levels, just let me know! I'll be happy to help :-)

Is it possible to have a turn around? Say if on average, you were an B/A student...are A*'s reachable?
Original post by Wigwig
Put your mock grades behind you....you can easily raise your grades from now but you will have to revise! Ignore the comments which say 'I only read through the night before etc' they are either a genius or more likely lying. My dad is a secondary school teacher and he listens to loads of kids pretending that they are not working or playing revision down. Grades come with hard work, past papers go over and over, understand the mark scheme and ask your teachers. It can be done....I did it and ended up with 11A*s. I am now revising for my A levels :smile:

Thank You so much...this is just what I needed actually :smile: my mock grades were a real disappointment and I need to just forget about it. 11A*'s...thats amazing! Were you always achieving high grades like that?
Original post by prosperousfuture
Wow! What were your mock grades like?

The A*s were As
Original post by DotDotDot...
I got 8A*s, 3As and an A^. Spent a couple hours before the exam revising for further maths, bio and chemistry, did an all-nighter for history and the rest I just kinda flicked through the textbook whilst standing outside the exam hall. For me I didn't really need much revision because I found it a lot more helpful to do stuff like concentrate a lot in class, stay behind to ask questions and basically try and really understand everything because once you understand it properly its stuck in your head and you don't have to do much memorising of information.

How the hell did you get A^ in further maths
Original post by saffronmae
I started revising 2 weeks before the exams, by making my notes.
I finished making all my notes 2 or 3 days before exams started.
Then, I just revised/read through my notes, the day/evening before each exam. I probably should've revised more, but it all turned out okay. Now I'm doing A Levels I've realised I need to get more organised and start revising earlier on, and do practice papers.

Plus, I went into hospital when I took them, and ended up doing half of them whilst in A and E.

I got 9 A*s and 3 As :smile:

How did you make your notes
Original post by Jamie S
The A*s were As

Do you think it is possible to go from a B to an A*?
Original post by newera
I started properly revising at the start of the Easter holidays, before that I hadn't even consolidated notes or anything. In my mocks I got really average results like 3A*s, a couple As and the rest Bs. I would definitely say do not worry about mocks especially if you didn't revise for them - if you revise for the real thing well you'll definitely achieve the grades you want. If you revised a lot for mocks, but still didn't get the grades you want then leave some extra time to get your head around those topics. Otherwise there's nothing to worry about really. I got 10A*s and an A in the real thing so aim high!

Reply 67
Make all your notes early and do all the past papers you can. If there aren't enough, do them twice.
Don't start revising really early, the GCSE syllabus is small you'll be fine.
I got 7A* 2A and a B
Original post by jakepds
Make all your notes early and do all the past papers you can. If there aren't enough, do them twice.
Don't start revising really early, the GCSE syllabus is small you'll be fine.
I got 7A* 2A and a B

Thanks! What were your mocks like?
I'm aiming for as many A*'s and A's as I can get...so 11 A*'s and A's. My mock grades weren't the best but I didn't revise for them as much as I should've to be fair. I'd say that at an average the grades ranged from C/B's. My Year 10 mocks were better, in which I got a range of B's, A's and A*'s. My worry is that I'm going downhill in my grades!

Night before, and for some like RS I didn't do anything. But I tried to cram it all in, it's not advisable - trust me!

Ended up with:2A* 4A 5B 1C

In retrospect, if I actually tried and put in more effort maybe I would have got better grades, but they're decent enough to get into most univerities as long as I get A*A*AA in A-Level.

I would spend more than just the night before as it's not exactly advisable, if you're aiming for those A*/A spend half an hour minimum on each subject every week, make sure you fully understand everything in each lesson, go and bug your teachers if you didn't, they're there to be bugged, especially if you want A-A*. Also, here are some general revision tips:

For every half hour of revision, give yourself a 5 minute break, getting a biscuit, a drink, texting a few friends, flicking through facebook, whatever you want, but only for 5m.

Don't spend longer than 4 of these sessions at once, i.e after 2 hours take a much longer break, a few hours maybe before starting again it really does keep you refreshed and allows you to reward yourself for the revision you've done. Also, don't stress about the exams, worrying about them won't get you grades; working will. Turn off any distractions when you're going to work. Then give yourself a day off/half a day off to do what you like, remember you need to still be happy :P. Also, GCSEs don't dictate your life as some people try to drill into you, but they defintely help, so go and get those A's and A*'s :smile:

Try as many past papers as you can before the exams, good luck!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Calzs34
Night before.

Ended up with:2A* 4A 5B 1C

In retrospect, if I actually tried and put in more effort maybe I would have got better grades, but they're decent enough to get into most univerities as long as I get A*A*AA in A-Level.

I would spend more than just the night before as it's not exactly advisable, if you're aiming for those A*/A spend half an hour minimum on each subject every week, make sure you fully understand everything in each lesson, go and bug your teachers if you didn't, they're there to be bugged, especially if you want A-A*. Also, here are some general revision tips:

For every half hour of revision, give yourself a 5 minute break, getting a biscuit, a drink, texting a few friends, flicking through facebook, whatever you want, but only for 5m.

Don't spend longer than 4 of these sessions at once, i.e after 2 hours take a much longer break, a few hours maybe before starting again it really does keep you refreshed and allows you to reward yourself for the revision you've done. Also, don't stress about the exams, worrying about them won't get you grades; working will. Turn off any distractions when you're going to work. Then give yourself a day off/half a day off to do what you like, remember you need to still be happy :P. Also, GCSEs don't dictate your life as some people try to drill into you, but they defintely help, so go and get those A's and A*'s :smile:

Try as many past papers as you can before the exams, good luck!

Thank You! A very motivational and helpful post :smile:
Reply 71
Thanks! What were your mocks like?

Ooh you're testing me now!
As far as I can remember they were 4A*, 4A and 2B??

The thing is, I was annoyed with my grades because the B should have been an A and then two of the As should have been A*s.
When you set out the time table, stick to it! Don't sit there watching fresh meat instead like I did!!
Is it too late to start doing that now?

No definitely not, 3 weeks is loads of time to go and talk to teachers in. I only really started doing that after mocks (about two weeks ago last year)
Original post by Username3097486
How the hell did you get A^ in further maths

Haha i don't know, maths is my best subject but still I have no idea. I think it's quite rare because I was the only one on my year (even though there are better mathematicians)
Original post by TomC_97
Although i wish i wasn't so lazy before, GCSEs really arent the end of the world if you dont get amazing grades. A levels are much more important, don't ruin yourself with these, enjoy your last few months of year 11 too.

A level reforms means GCSE are so much more important now, as there isnt a formal AS level anymore :frown:
Original post by DotDotDot...
I got 8A*s, 3As and an A^. Spent a couple hours before the exam revising for further maths, bio and chemistry, did an all-nighter for history and the rest I just kinda flicked through the textbook whilst standing outside the exam hall. For me I didn't really need much revision because I found it a lot more helpful to do stuff like concentrate a lot in class, stay behind to ask questions and basically try and really understand everything because once you understand it properly its stuck in your head and you don't have to do much memorising of information.

You're crazy :biggrin::biggrin:
I revised from late February onwards regularly (like every night ish) then increased like just before Easter holidays.

3A*3A 3B

( I go to a comprehensive in a 'deprived area' so I know they aren't amazing compared to the 1000a*'s most tsr's get lol)
Original post by theconfusedman
You're crazy :biggrin::biggrin:

Haha no just a different way of learning :smile:
I'm aiming for as many A*'s and A's as I can get...so 11 A*'s and A's. My mock grades weren't the best but I didn't revise for them as much as I should've to be fair. I'd say that at an average the grades ranged from C/B's. My Year 10 mocks were better, in which I got a range of B's, A's and A*'s. My worry is that I'm going downhill in my grades!

I did alot i new the whole animal farm book by heart and I just revised so much I new all my books inside and out. what I did was read the book over and over again and when I new the solid information I began to practice past papers over and over again and got my teacher to keep marking them. Then i pretend i was teaching a class in my room to remember the knowledge.knowledge. You need to follow the exam structure because there is a cretin type of criteria u need to follow in the exam for u to achive A/A* GCSE IS A PIECE OF CAKE. !! .
I didn't revise for my mocks and i achieved:

A*s: Chemistry, physics, biology, maths, history, astronomy, religious studies
A: English Lit and Lang, Geography, Geology,
C/D: French

- And now in the sense of being a decent human being, i aim to revise as much as possible over the next month or two so when results day comes, i can consul people who missed out on their grades, and not be that person who underachieved!

Quick Reply

Latest