Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    how is your commuting going?
    Do you have any regrets with choosing to commute instead of living out at uni?
    Are you planning to commute to uni next year too?
    Do you think you would be happier if you lived at uni and experienced the 'uni lifestyle'?

• TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    :bump:

:ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moment of truth)
    Do you think you would be happier if you lived at uni and experienced the 'uni lifestyle'?

good question! I wanna decide if I'm gonna commute next year or not for my first year at uni so this thread may help
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad

This really confused me about half way through the year for quite a long time...
    Interested to hear people's thoughts so really just posting to follow

ReputationRep:
    I commuted to uni. Want to ask me any questions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    I commuted to uni. Want to ask me any questions?
    do you feel like you still had the same experience as those who stayed in the uni??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Just want oreos)
    do you feel like you still had the same experience as those who stayed in the uni??
    NO I didn't. But then I'm an odd ball. I know people who commuted who had a more "normal" student experience experience. Not being able to just walk to your home from uni will impact on your ability to go out drinking and stuff all the time if you want to do that. But you can still do those things commuting.

ReputationRep:

Not too bad, only been one bad day due to trains. No regrets with commuting as I don't think I would have stayed at uni had I lived at uni. Definitely commuting again next year. I don't think I would have copped had I lived at uni and experienced the uni lifestyle

ReputationRep:
    I stayed in my university city, 30 miles away from my home town during my first year, after Xmas I was coming home every weekend as I hated it, felt depressed being in a room with tonnes of work to do and no effort.

Now in my second year (nearly finished) and commuting, although the commute is a bit painful sometimes (especially for 9am starts) I much prefer living at home. As for the 'uni lifestyle' I found it got very boring after about 6 weeks so am not missing out on anything (personally)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    :bump:

:ninja:
    Thank you for the bump

(Original post by mobbsy91)
    This really confused me about half way through the year for quite a long time...
    Interested to hear people's thoughts so really just posting to follow
    Sorry about that, I should have been more clear

(Original post by leveridge96)
    Not too bad, only been one bad day due to trains. No regrets with commuting as I don't think I would have stayed at uni had I lived at uni. Definitely commuting again next year. I don't think I would have copped had I lived at uni and experienced the uni lifestyle
    How long is your journey?

Fair enough, I feel very similar about the uni lifestyle too. As long as you are happy with your commute

(Original post by R0ckTillWeDr0p)
    I stayed in my university city, 30 miles away from my home town during my first year, after Xmas I was coming home every weekend as I hated it, felt depressed being in a room with tonnes of work to do and no effort.

Now in my second year (nearly finished) and commuting, although the commute is a bit painful sometimes (especially for 9am starts) I much prefer living at home. As for the 'uni lifestyle' I found it got very boring after about 6 weeks so am not missing out on anything (personally)
    How long is your commute? Yeah, I guess it can be quite boring.

ReputationRep:
    Planning on commuting next year, I actually started uni last September really far from home and dropped out after 4 days due to a variety of circumstances that all just made it a very bad decision, and from 4 days in halls I already knew it was not for me at all! Gonna have to get the bus to start with, living in a tiny village means it could be a pain as the buses are only every hour and finish at about 6PM, but fingers crossed I pass my driving test (3rd time lucky ) and can sort out a car and drive in most days when the bus would be inconvenient (e.g. wanting to stay late for a society)

ReputationRep:
    This thread is great - there is so much hate for commuting! I'm in halls right now and I'm commuting next year - cheaper, with family, will probably get more work done, can't be doing with the stress of having a house. It's made me feel a lot better!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the bump

How long is your journey?

Fair enough, I feel very similar about the uni lifestyle too. As long as you are happy with your commute

1 hour 20 by train. Would be quicker by car but I can't drive :P

ReputationRep:
    I'll miss living at home but there's no way I'm traveling from London to manchester and back every day.

But on the otherhand, moving out was the main reason i picked manchester over UCL and imperial.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annabanana1996)
    This thread is great - there is so much hate for commuting! I'm in halls right now and I'm commuting next year - cheaper, with family, will probably get more work done, can't be doing with the stress of having a house. It's made me feel a lot better!
    That's good! At least you are sure that you want to commute next year!

(Original post by leveridge96)
    1 hour 20 by train. Would be quicker by car but I can't drive :P
    Similar to me lol. It can be really loooong by train especially in the morning when the train is packed. I passed my driving recently and so I drive sometimes, but don't have my own car yet so can't drive all the time.

ReputationRep:
    my commute varies between 40 mins and an hour and 10 mins driving

ReputationRep:
    I feel the exact opposite to everyone here, i commuted for my first year, and while in the beginning, i was okay, even enjoying it. However as the year wore on i found i was missing out on all the different events and activities going on at uni, specifically going out clubbing, as where i lived had no night transport. So when year 2 came around, i moved to uni, and I greatly enjoy it now, i've cemented the friends i made, as well as making a few others. While this is an individual thing to decide, commuting for me was the wrong option and i do regret taking it for my first year.

Though saying that, i was an incredibly immature person starting out in my first year, so i think commuting actually did me some good, made me a more mature person and more likely not to feel home sick.
    This kinda turned into a ramble so... while some people may find commuting a better alternative than living at uni, for me, i'm glad i'm no longer doing it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmmaD1997)
    Planning on commuting next year, I actually started uni last September really far from home and dropped out after 4 days due to a variety of circumstances that all just made it a very bad decision, and from 4 days in halls I already knew it was not for me at all! Gonna have to get the bus to start with, living in a tiny village means it could be a pain as the buses are only every hour and finish at about 6PM, but fingers crossed I pass my driving test (3rd time lucky ) and can sort out a car and drive in most days when the bus would be inconvenient (e.g. wanting to stay late for a society)
    what if you have late lectures I had 7-8 pm finishes in my first year and one guy I knew had an 8-9 PM :eek: lecture

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.