The Student Room Group
Students relax on campus, Teesside University
Teesside University
Middlesbrough
Visit website

accomodation teesside- parkside

really like the accomodation at teesside and i am stuck between choosing parkside halls/village. Does anyone know how noisy parkside is because I am a girl who loves her sleep!!:smile: thank you
I'm the same, I'm hoping to be in the parkside village :smile: what about university managed accommodation? That will be quieter!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Students relax on campus, Teesside University
Teesside University
Middlesbrough
Visit website
I can really help you out here actually.

I'm in my first year, as is my girlfriend.

I live in University Managed Accommodation and her in Parkside Village, located directly next to Parkside Halls.
So, Managed Housing:

Managed housing is the cheapest of the bunch (not that any of the accommodation are particularly expensive), at a rate of roughly £2,798 a year. The house I'm currently in is in probably one of the roughest areas of Middlesbrough, we've not really had any bother with anybody, but we're only halfway through the year, but if you're easily scared/worried, then I wouldn't recommend it and just continue onwards, if you're level-headed and can handle situations, continue, so, next, your housemates will either be 2 or 3 people, mine was with 2 others, and we're pretty much all best friends now, but we all like to party... and sleep, which is fine, but be prepared that if you're in a house and the 2 or 3 others like to party, and you don't, you could be excluded easily. About the roughness, we had a fire behind our house tonight as someone set the bins alight, a few weeks ago there was 7 burglaries in the street in 3 days. Anyway, location, houses are located anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes away from the university, and aren't necessarily near any other students, ours isn't particularly near, I know of a guy in the other end of the street but we don't really get on. Noise really will depend on who you share with though.

Parkside Village:
My girlfriend is training to be a nurse, so it'll be similar to what you want because she too has placement.
The house will be shared with 5 others, if you're doing nursing like she was, she had another nurse and then students who were 20+, as they were past the partying stage of their lives so generally kept quiet (whether this was done intentionally, I'm unsure, but it's my theory), so unless you specify they may not be a partying bunch, the area isn't rough at all really, and the houses are gated, if you've visited you've probably seen. To do washing you need to go to Parkside Halls (literally 2 minutes away), which isn't much of an inconvenience. You'll probably make good friends with your other housemates if they're your age, otherwise you might not really connect. Location is 5 minutes away from the university regardless of your house. There is a shop nearby, (this goes for halls too) but it doesn't sell alcohol or cigarettes, so if that bothers you then there you go.
As I say, noise can vary, and walls can be thin at the times if you're on the first floor underneath the kitchen (like my gf), so you may hear people cooking etc. (can't speak for every house but I'm on the ground floor next to the front door which is way out of the way, so lots of personal space!)

Parkside Halls:
Okay, so I don't have as much experience of this place, and frankly, I'm glad. These halls are quite similar to a flat block, you have common areas, but you don't "live" with these people, they share the same building as you, you share a kitchen, but it's not your "house" it's a block, that being said, it'll be quiet as there's no partying at all, as far as I'm aware, people who want silence the majority of the time will choose these halls.

Hope I've helped you, feel free to ask more questions, I've been to all of the accommodation and have a general idea about them all.
Reply 3
Original post by Tomjmccloud
I can really help you out here actually.

I'm in my first year, as is my girlfriend.

I live in University Managed Accommodation and her in Parkside Village, located directly next to Parkside Halls.
So, Managed Housing:

Managed housing is the cheapest of the bunch (not that any of the accommodation are particularly expensive), at a rate of roughly £2,798 a year. The house I'm currently in is in probably one of the roughest areas of Middlesbrough, we've not really had any bother with anybody, but we're only halfway through the year, but if you're easily scared/worried, then I wouldn't recommend it and just continue onwards, if you're level-headed and can handle situations, continue, so, next, your housemates will either be 2 or 3 people, mine was with 2 others, and we're pretty much all best friends now, but we all like to party... and sleep, which is fine, but be prepared that if you're in a house and the 2 or 3 others like to party, and you don't, you could be excluded easily. About the roughness, we had a fire behind our house tonight as someone set the bins alight, a few weeks ago there was 7 burglaries in the street in 3 days. Anyway, location, houses are located anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes away from the university, and aren't necessarily near any other students, ours isn't particularly near, I know of a guy in the other end of the street but we don't really get on. Noise really will depend on who you share with though.

Parkside Village:
My girlfriend is training to be a nurse, so it'll be similar to what you want because she too has placement.
The house will be shared with 5 others, if you're doing nursing like she was, she had another nurse and then students who were 20+, as they were past the partying stage of their lives so generally kept quiet (whether this was done intentionally, I'm unsure, but it's my theory), so unless you specify they may not be a partying bunch, the area isn't rough at all really, and the houses are gated, if you've visited you've probably seen. To do washing you need to go to Parkside Halls (literally 2 minutes away), which isn't much of an inconvenience. You'll probably make good friends with your other housemates if they're your age, otherwise you might not really connect. Location is 5 minutes away from the university regardless of your house. There is a shop nearby, (this goes for halls too) but it doesn't sell alcohol or cigarettes, so if that bothers you then there you go.
As I say, noise can vary, and walls can be thin at the times if you're on the first floor underneath the kitchen (like my gf), so you may hear people cooking etc. (can't speak for every house but I'm on the ground floor next to the front door which is way out of the way, so lots of personal space!)

Parkside Halls:
Okay, so I don't have as much experience of this place, and frankly, I'm glad. These halls are quite similar to a flat block, you have common areas, but you don't "live" with these people, they share the same building as you, you share a kitchen, but it's not your "house" it's a block, that being said, it'll be quiet as there's no partying at all, as far as I'm aware, people who want silence the majority of the time will choose these halls.

Hope I've helped you, feel free to ask more questions, I've been to all of the accommodation and have a general idea about them all.

Hi I'm going to be starting uni in September and I got my first choose which is woodlands hall. How is woodlands hall? Is it in flats not house formate? How is the security? How spacious is it? Which one is better central halls or woodlands hall? And why?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending