Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

seborrheic dermatitis - what helps you Watch

I have seborrheic dermatitis and although it affects my scalp, it's no where near as bad as my nose and eyebrows/forehead. I get it extremely bad, peeling and flaking constantly - it just looks horrible.

Been doctors and they've prescribed me so many different steroids ands creams but nothing works.

Has anyone gone through the same thing and found something which helps?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I have seborrheic dermatitis and although it affects my scalp, it's no where near as bad as my nose and eyebrows/forehead. I get it extremely bad, peeling and flaking constantly - it just looks horrible.

Been doctors and they've prescribed me so many different steroids ands creams but nothing works.

I haven't got that, but I've got atopic eczema. Protopic steroid and cetraben emollient cream helped a lot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

You might already have tried it if you've been given lots of creams, but just in case you haven't - have you tried Aveeno lotion or cream? Either the regular cream or the shea butter lotion? It has done wonders for my sister's severe eczema and if I have any skin trouble it really helps me too. Doctors can prescribe it but it's expensive for them so they often avoid it. If you buy some yourself and it helps then you can go to your GP and tell them and they should prescribe it (helpful if you're entitled to free prescriptions). Also Dream Cream from Lush is great for eczema and certain skin conditions.

Obviously try the creams in a small area at first, because skin can be a pest (but you already know that). I hope you find something that helps!

ReputationRep:
    Not a sufferer myself.

But have heard this is excellent for that sort of thing.

https://www.selexir.com/selexir-peace-balm

ReputationRep:
    I didn't even get a proper diagnosis but my symptoms fit seborrheic dermatitis. I'm on a T gel shampoo but it doesn't help much. I'm thinking of buying a coal tar shampoo. I've found a cream which has helped it's from abroad but I think the aloe vera has reduced the peeling on my face. So anything with aloe vera seems helpful.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a sufferer but I know a girl who is trying to stop eating gluten as she heard that helps, although I don't know if it has worked for her.

ReputationRep:
    Ive got the same thing although ive got it on my back very badly and on my chest also. I have been given many steroid creams none of which worked very well at all. I was also given a couple of different shampoo to wash hair then rub over affected areas think they where ketoconozole and selenium somthing or other neither or which worked for me. Then got given course of anti fungal meds think also ketoconozole this worked for a bit but then it came back. Be interesting to see what other treatments people have been given.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 7, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.