Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I HAD TO TEACH THIS TO MYSELF AND I AM STRUGGLING AND I WANT TO SCREAMMM (someone help please)

here is what I need help with ...

Why would an object fall backwards, stay in one position or fall forwards when tilted?

ReputationRep:
    Because the stability of an object depends on the COM (centre of mass) and the size of the base.
    When an object is tilted backwards or forwards it will begin to tip over if the line of action of its centre of mass is not directly above the pivot – (acting outside the base).
    This causes the object to fall over because there is a resultant moment acting on it.
    However, you can increase an objects’ stability by having a lower centre of mass or having a wider base.For e.g. baby chairs, bowling pins and fast sport cars are all designed to have more stability for those greater angles that act outside the base. (stops them from falling over)

I don't know if I'm 100% correct or if I've included all the information you need but I really hope I helped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QuibblerWaffle)
    Because the stability of an object depends on the COM (centre of mass) and the size of the base.
    When an object is tilted backwards or forwards it will begin to tip over if the line of action of its centre of mass is not directly above the pivot – (acting outside the base).
    This causes the object to fall over because there is a resultant moment acting on it.
    However, you can increase an objects’ stability by having a lower centre of mass or having a wider base.For e.g. baby chairs, bowling pins and fast sport cars are all designed to have more stability for those greater angles that act outside the base. (stops them from falling over)

I don't know if I'm 100% correct or if I've included all the information you need but I really hope I helped
    Thank you , I'm more of a humanities girl so i find physics extremely hard

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.