Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well keeping the workers happy is important, if this isn't affecting the company then that's good. Though, they're sitting in a chair all day I don't think Menstrual Leave is exactly necessary in that case.

If this happened throughout all UK company's then oh my... good luck to the economy. :erm:

EDIT: Always advertisement on DailyMail – good one. :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    i think it creates a dangerous precedent what do you do i someone suffers from GERD or something

ReputationRep:
    I need this! This needs to come to canada ASAP.

ReputationRep:
    if women can be excused for their periods then men ought to be excused in order to achieve their daily masturbation quotas

ReputationRep:
    lol ridiculous. that's like me saying "my balls hurt, can i take off and still get paid?'

i wish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xobeauty)
    I need this! This needs to come to canada ASAP.
    ur canadian!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by offhegoes)
    It would be treated the same as a day off ill I'd imagine.
    A sick week every month... paid? Surely not. I'm for it but it can't be paid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by malicious1)
    lol ridiculous. that's like me saying "my balls hurt, can i take off and still get paid?'

i wish.
    The symptoms are ridiculous. They first day of my period it feels like I'm in a whirl pool, it's hard esp if you work with people/ clients.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xobeauty)
    The symptoms are ridiculous. They first day of my period it feels like I'm in a whirl pool, it's hard esp if you work with people/ clients.
    have u ever been kicked in the balls tho
    that's enough to make me quit my job

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by malicious1)

i wish.
    lol, not the same thing, however, if the pain in your balls was severe and persistent, I'm sure you'd take the day off

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    Nothing says equality like giving 50% of the workforce a few extra days off a month
    It's not necessarily a regular occurrence (some cycles are more bearable than others) and usually most painful on only one / two days of the cycle, not the entire duration.
    I agree with this so long as they are given a certain amount of time they can take off, like 10-12 days a year or something that should only really be used when you're in a lot of pain.
    Periods really shouldn't be THAT painful unless there's an underlying medical condition, to which extra time can be taken off if they have a doctors note.

ReputationRep:
    Most women really don't need to put their life on hold just because they have their period and there is no reason to introduce a 'menstrual leave', it's just stupid. You put a tampon in and take some ibuprofen and you won't even know you're on your period. The only ones who actually need 'menstrual leave' are those with medical conditions, some people faint or vomit and get really sick when they're on their period, however that's no reason to introduce a menstrual leave for everyone, it will just get abused and women will stay at home for a week every month... the economy would crash if this was implemented everywhere, lmao.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...vironment.html

This has already been implemented in certain parts of Asia, and now a Bristol company is wanting to introduce this new policy to allow women time off during their period.

What do you think of this idea of a menstrual leave and the 'period policy'?
    It's absolutely outrageous!

What about women who don't have periods? Women who keep taking the pill and don't have a period? Pregnant women? Post menopausal women?

And oh yea.... Men!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    But thing is period pain is different for everyone, some people don't even feel it so it makes no difference why should they take a break? I think if it's really really bad you can take a day off, and usually by the second day you're fine so :dontknow:
    Yea women experience it vastly differently from each other in severity and length

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mscaffrey)
    I could really use it. On the first day of my period at least it's generally impossible for me to go out. I get incredible pains and faintness. I always say that if someone was ill and in that kind of pain they'd be told to forget about work, but because it's something that happens every month we're supposed to be able to stand it.
    It's a good point a better solution is to alter sickness regulations.

It reminds me of mental illness to be honest.

Different people experience it differently but as it is an ongoing condition it is seen as something you should deal with and shouldn't effect your work

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy™)
    Who the heck would want to hire women then? Obviously everyone would want to hire men because either they don't have to pay them for staying off and even if they don't pay for menstrual leave then businesses will still get more hours out of men.

Then the feminists are gonna go on about women having lack of jobs, it's like a cycle caused by feminists just because they want something to moan about.
    You could say the same about women having children

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Either it's a medical condition or not.

If it's implemented, women will really struggle to get a job before fourty.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    "For women, one of these is their menstrual cycles. Naturally, when women are having their periods they are in a winter state, when they need to regroup, keep warm and nourish their bodies."

"The spring section of the cycle, immediately after a period is a time when women are actually three times as productive as usual."

Never heard of each phase of the menstrual cycle being referred to like a season, will ask my gf if she feels in a "winter state" next time.

It doesn't seem to totally clarify if this is paid leave or unpaid? In one of their examples a Chinese Provence gives paid monthly leave in their paid is severe enough to get a doctors note. Unpaid leave I'd have no issue at all with, paid leave....I'd be concerned about how often it could be claimed.

And as said, both the severity of pain in a women's cycle and differing people's pain thresholds is very different. I knew one girl who got no pain at all, and one who I'd assume would count as severe...but she never took a day off school for it, let alone work. And again...how severe was it? It's hard to judge such things.

Though since menstrual pain is considered a disorder (as in it shouldn't occur) and apparently the majority suffering dysmenorrhea have endometriosis, some way to more easily get rid of this extra tissue would appear to be a good angle to pursue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    It's absolutely outrageous!

What about women who don't have periods? Women who keep taking the pill and don't have a period? Pregnant women? Post menopausal women?

And oh yea.... Men!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This would only apply to women who do have periods and are in a lot of pain..
    Pregnant women would likely still have to take some days off for things like morning sickness/body aches/doctors appointments.
    Not sure what you're getting at here
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by offhegoes)
    If the pain is bad enough that it is unreasonable to expect someone to be working then they should be able to call in "sick" just like anyone else would. Prolonged or persistent absences would then be dealt with as normal.

The aim of the policy seems to be to remove the stigma of a woman taking time off due to significant period pain, feeling unable to do so for fear of it not being recognised as an issue.
    This

Posted from TSR Mobile

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.