The Student Room Group

Menstrual Leave.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by offhegoes
If the pain is bad enough that it is unreasonable to expect someone to be working then they should be able to call in "sick" just like anyone else would. Prolonged or persistent absences would then be dealt with as normal.

The aim of the policy seems to be to remove the stigma of a woman taking time off due to significant period pain, feeling unable to do so for fear of it not being recognised as an issue.

We touch on the broader issue of discrimination against sickly people in the workplace.

No special pleading based on sex is required: if period pain interferes with day-to-day functioning then that person has a medical condition like any other which in theory should be disclosed as part of the hiring process.

However this inevitably leads to discrimination against those with chronic health conditions.

The only solution is to pay an allowance out of general taxation to those with chronic health conditions to cover their special costs and opportunity costs, including wages. This would come as part of the ongoing automation of unskilled jobs, the decoupling of income from work, and the universal basic income.
Umm does this mean that i can protest about the AWFUL summer dresses that we have to wear. They are SOOOOO see thru that they are every gijrls worst nightmare when it comes to having a period:frown:*Yep, i go to an independant school, which is on an international scale and kids from australia to sweden wear the same uniform...
And on the article, tbh i think that it is a v good idea but perhaps a little bit impractical*and impossible to make a national thing...
Original post by paul514
No one doubts that some women's periods are severe enough to warrant not going to work on the bad days it's the way the legislation is written, and proof of pain IF it is for all women to go to the doctors.

It's well known that someone who doesn't have painful periods this decade may have very painful ones next decade.

The issue is under a doctors note women will start going to the doctors saying my periods are really bad these days can I have a note when they aren't bad. Why? Because they can have a number of extra weeks off paid per year durr!

Or you can have a system where the woman is allotted say 26 period days per year (2 every 4 weeks) that they can have as extra paid leave. This is just grossly unfair to everyone who doesn't have a period and rewards people for having a ovaries.

Lastly you can have the sensible option.

Change legislation to say sure have days off for period pains but they will be unpaid and not counted towards your overall sick days in a year for review purposes by law.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would agree with the last option, I wouldn't expect pay for a few days every month where I'm not in work, that would feel very cheeky.
I'd be completely fine with just some understanding by the company that I wouldn't be able to come in at a certain time of month due to periods, and have it not reflect badly on me at all.
I do actually worry about this in the future because it will almost certainly affect me. Hopefully I work for a somewhat understanding business
If this is introduced, it will mean that women wil find it harder to find work or get paid less as they are less desirable as workers.
This will also be undoubtedly abused by women too.
Original post by paul514

Change legislation to say sure have days off for period pains but they will be unpaid and not counted towards your overall sick days in a year for review purposes by law.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This sounds one sensible way forward. Asking for doctor's notes puts GPs under pressure to sign something is unreasonable, when if someone visits them it should be for diagnosis or treatment.

Incidentally, I wonder if the company would have adopted the policy if the CEO had been a man. I suspect not.
Pain killers once a month usually works for me
Original post by _icecream
Pain killers once a month usually works for me

Usually work for me too, but there are occasions when they don't work
what a joke...

women can already take time off if their period is disabling and making them ill, I have never ever had a period bad enough that I would have considered having a day off work, some women may have such horrible periods they end up having a lot of time off... but in the same way some of my male colleagues have long term health issues which mean they have to take time off... I don't see why it has to be some special type of leave, being on your period is no more embarrassing than saying you have severe diarrhea or something

edit: and saying women shouldn't be paid but should take the time off is stupid as well, if your period is disabling then you are sick and should have normal sick time, if it isn't you should go to work, end of
(edited 8 years ago)
Obviously I'm not the expert but if a woman's menstrual cycle negatively impacts her daily life, I think she is not a normal person.

Regarding a policy like this I can see it being abused by scores of ladies. But I really don't care. Tbh it only discourages corporates to hire the ladiez who has history with the bloodies 🤓
If you're in pain and therefore ill, just like any person you should be able to take sick leave. But I don't think the women should be granted any extra sick leave over the guys.
I wouldn't mind if am honest
I don't really know how practical this is, I reckon it would be abused a lot too. Some women do have very severe symptoms around their periods and might need time off work, but not all,

I consider myself generally pretty normal but have had to have at least a couple of days off though it is only the odd cycle which is really bad - sometimes I really can't bear the pain even with pain killers and the only thing to do is to have a hot bath and curl up in bed, sometimes I will also get symptoms like feeling faint/dizzy and GI upset which though they don't last long if they occur at work need me to take the rest of the day off "sick". I have been to the docs before about it and actually a couple of the older male docs have been a bit clueless about it, one even asked if it was just because I was anxious I was having the pain and tummy upset...

I do find it pretty embarrassing when colleagues ask what is wrong because menstruation and pre-menstrual symptoms are pretty taboo, and yet I don't want them worrying about me because I know that it is just a bad period for me. I usually just end up mumbling something about a headache or feeling sick.

I don't think having a separate menstruation leave would be that helpful because it would mean telling your employer you are menstruating which seems to be crossing boundaries slightly, I think it should come under sick leave.
I take medication with codeine (good old opium) in it to control my menstrual pain but I don't think women should take time off.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending