Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingpong)
    You say that but if you compare it to any of the past papers I found it to be of about the same difficultly, maybe slighly harder. You also have to remember you're going to be talking to some of the higher standard of people taking this paper on this forum, so they're likely to find it easier than your average.

It all evens out.
    I found it to be comparable in difficulty to the Chem4 papers i did as mocks, looking over the examiners report it seem to average about 64/90 on the chem4 papers to get an A.

ReputationRep:
    it was 71/90 for an A when i did it in jan

ReputationRep:
    There was an ester question???
    Something to do with esters, I got methly proponoate for something? 7a) Was it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    Something to do with esters, I got methly proponoate for something? 7a) Was it?
    Errr... I don't remember being asked a mechanism for that one, was that the reaction between methanol and propanoyl chloride, therefore being a nucleophilic addition-elimination?

I don't think there were any esterification reactions as such, since those would all be condensation reactions. :/

ReputationRep:
    Errr... I don't remember being asked a mechanism for that one, was that the reaction between methanol and propanoyl chloride, therefore being a nucleophilic addition-elimination?

I don't think there were any esterification reactions as such, since those would all be condensation reactions. :/
    methanol + propanoyl chloride = methly propanoate doesnt it?

ReputationRep:
    the ester was just X from the nmr wasnt it? yes it was methyl propanoate

ReputationRep:
    methanol + propanoyl chloride = methly propanoate doesnt it?
    Yeah, that's what I got, but it wasn't an esterification reaction afaik, even though an ester was formed.

Noone's said what they got for the structure of Y? Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that's what I got, but it wasn't an esterification reaction afaik, even though an ester was formed.

Noone's said what they got for the structure of Y? Anyone?
    I got a carboxylic acid, propanoic acid I think?

ReputationRep:
    I put Brady's reagent which reacts with ketones and not alcohols.

ReputationRep:
    I got a carboxylic acid, propanoic acid I think?
    Balls, it was an ester wasnt it?

ReputationRep:
    Balls, it was an ester wasnt it?
    I recall seeing esters, but i can't remember exactly. I think it might have been ethyl methanoate? I put that for one of the answers some where.

ReputationRep:
    .........I fuhhkked up!

Big style on that Kp question. What was the mole fraction of Oxygen? and what was the partial pressure of oxygen/ sulphur trioxide?

I put 34 2/3s, making the other one 45 1/3. what was the answer and how the fcuk could I have got it?!!

All the other answers put in this thread, I managed to get, but that still doesn't amount to many marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hyvry1)
    I recall seeing esters, but i can't remember exactly. I think it might have been ethyl methanoate? I put that for one of the answers some where.
    Oh yeh thats what I put, except I might of draw it out wrong at the end whilst checking through

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hyvry1)
    Snap. That's what I got for Y.

I don't know if a carboxylic acid would work for the spectrum, the peaks were the same as the X ester, but just in different positions, that's what made me think they'd just moved the CH3 to the other end of the molecule.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ore100)
    .........I fuhhkked up!

Big style on that Kp question. What was the mole fraction of Oxygen? and what was the partial pressure of oxygen/ sulphur trioxide?

I put 34 2/3s, making the other one 45 1/3. what was the answer and how the fcuk could I have got it?!!

All the other answers put in this thread, I managed to get, but that still doesn't amount to many marks.
    The partial pressure for oxygen was 12kPa, derived from the 2:1 info and SO2 being 24kPa.

Therefore the partial pressure of SO3 was 104-24-12= 68kPa.

The mole fractions for O2 I got was 0.1... something or other.

ReputationRep:
    The partial pressure for oxygen was 12kPa, derived from the 2:1 info and SO2 being 24kPa.

Therefore the partial pressure of SO3 was 104-24-12= 68kPa.

The mole fractions for O2 I got was 0.1... something or other.
    I got the same, i was a little unsure about that one, it seemed a little easy. I always loose marks for looking for harder answers, but this time i think i really did well in this paper.

ReputationRep:
    I actually thought dat da paper was kinda dodgy, da way dey were asking thingz, specially da Kp queztion!

Section B was easy tho, but I put X as spectra 1 (I had 2 first den swapped it)!! FFS!

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.