The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Would they accept me onto another course?

I'm currently holding an offer of AAA to study biomedical science with german, however I'm also currently failing all of my subjects except German (last mock was a C at A2). I'm not very confident that I'll meet my offer; even though I was told that they'd still consider me with lower grades, I don't think they'll accept BCC for biomed. Would they let me into a german only course if I were to get BCC? Their entry requirements are BBB for that, and german is my favourite subject at the moment.
Original post by celiajacobs
I'm currently holding an offer of AAA to study biomedical science with german, however I'm also currently failing all of my subjects except German (last mock was a C at A2). I'm not very confident that I'll meet my offer; even though I was told that they'd still consider me with lower grades, I don't think they'll accept BCC for biomed. Would they let me into a german only course if I were to get BCC? Their entry requirements are BBB for that, and german is my favourite subject at the moment.

The general advice that I give out to people asking about whether or not they will get onto their original course if they miss their grades is that we don't know. It depends on a number of things, which change year-by-year and course-by-course
- if they have already filled all the places with people who did meet their offer, or if they still have a few spaces left
- if they think they can fill up their remaining spaces with better quality candidates by going through clearing or by accepting people who just missed their offer
- how narrowly you missed your offer
- if there was anyone else who missed their offer by a narrower margin
- whether you are an international student (if you are, then you are more attractive because you pay higher fees)

However, what I will note is that
a) German is frequently in Clearing - there is a national shortage of German applicants, and departments have closed because of it - they will not readily pass up a warm body with some aptitude
b) They may not initially consider you for the straight German course - if you are rejected because you missed your offer, you may have to reapply through Clearing
c) None of this is guaranteed - the only way to guarantee a place at Manchester is to get the grades. It's very likely (but not guaranteed) that they would let you switch to straight German if you wanted, after results day.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending