Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    M374 - Prayer to Annul S08, TSR Conservative and Unionist Party
    This House condemns the illegal action of the Department for International Development and demands the government returns to acting within the law.

This government in the budget failed to allocate the 0.5% GNI minimum required under the International Development Act 2015 [1] as amended by the Foreign Spending (2%) Act 2015 [2]. In the budget [3] only £8.5bn was allocated by Her Majesty's Treasury to DFID, this is despite the UK GNI being in excess of this figure. The GDP, which is only marginally higher than GNI, in the year 2014/15 would have lead to a minimum foreign aid budget under the Foreign Spending Act of around £9bn [4], further increased by two years of economic growth for an estimated required value for 2016/17 beaing closer to £10bn, meaning the shortfall in the budget was in excess of £1bn. Despite this the Chancellor and Prime Minister signed off on the budget.

This is further compounded by S08 from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office [5] which intended to divert £1.2bn from this already low foreign aid budget into other areas, something illegal and impossible on several levels. It is illegal on the level that there was no sign off from the treasury for these spending changes, and impossible in that money has to be held to be transferred. However, the main concern is that this would push the department's spending even further below the legal threshold as it would bring foreign aid spending down to no more than £7.3bn, barely 75% of the minimum that the leading party of this very government implemented last year.

On this basis we demand the closest action is taken to annulling of the delegated legislation and the government withdraws this statement. Additionally, statements should be made both by the FCO and HMT. We believe the latter should release the funds to DFID as necessary to meet the 0.5% spending commitment as enshrined in law. Further, the statement from the FCO should outline why such failures were there in the first place, why the SoS did not ensure the funds necessary were in the budget, and why the decision was then taken to reduce spending even further below the limit.

[1] http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/...0150012_en.pdf
    [2] http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...php?p=57718637
    [3] http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3843557
    [4] http://www.statista.com/statistics/2...uk-since-2000/
    [5] http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3892637
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Why are we praying?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Do what Father Jack says.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Aph)
    Why are we praying?
    http://www.parliament.uk/site-inform...ssary/prayers/ (second paragraph)
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    Why are we praying?
    Because that's the term

What I would also like to ask is if there is much interest in introducing such things formally so the house can vote to repeal delegated legislation in a binding way rather than as we have to do here which is to petition the government to do so as a non binding vote

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Some of your Bills have a tendency to be terribly depressing. Whilst I sympathise with some of your points, you actually appear to be quite aggressive.

Plus the religious connotation may alienate some of your potential voters.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Just odd terminology then.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Whiggy)
    Some of your Bills have a tendency to be terribly depressing. Whilst I sympathise with some of your points, you actually appear to be quite aggressive.

Plus the religious connotation may alienate some of your potential voters.
    If they are the terms they are the terms. Surely "bill" has a negative connotation and thus we should not have bills.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    If they are the terms they are the terms. Surely "bill" has a negative connotation and thus we should not have bills.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's not what I'm insinuating at all. 'Prayer' has a religious connotation, which has the potential to alienate an increasingly secular electorate.

ReputationRep:
    You might want to expand your vocabulary, dear colleagues. I presume that the use of prayer in this context is older than most of you combined.

ReputationRep:
    That's not what I'm insinuating at all. 'Prayer' has a religious connotation, which has the potential to alienate an increasingly secular electorate.
    People who are as petty as that aren't usually Conservative, anyway… We won't use some ridiculous PC newspeak just to please the masses.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    The use here has nothing to do with the religious connotation, it's in line with parliamentary terminology.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    This is just another rant at the government. The VoNC failed so I don't see why there is any point trying to turn everyone against it.

ReputationRep:
    I am disappointed that it has come to this as we as a House should not forget that we are in a world where many do not have safe water supplies, enough food and basic shelter, something all human beings should have. The UN figure for overseas aid is the very minimum that we should allocate.

Regardless of the motive of the Conservative Party, I will support this measure to annul S08.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    People who are as petty as that aren't usually Conservative, anyway… We won't use some ridiculous PC newspeak just to please the masses.
    Well then, the masses are unlikely to vote for you.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Unsure as yet

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    People should educate themselves then, it is simply the name given to a debate of this form

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    This is just another rant at the government. The VoNC failed so I don't see why there is any point trying to turn everyone against it.
    I would like to point out in general, but since you are making the accusations I shall direct them towards you. If the motion had never been raised this still would have been, supposing I had run the figures which is a consequence of the motion of no confidence. The only way this would not have been, other than it not needing to have been raised, would have been the MoNC passing.

Are you advocating that this government should ignore the law, particularly law passed by the main party of this government? Do you believe that foreign aid should be stripped to the bone? Is there anything your party and government can do that you will not blindly support?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    I would like to point out in general, but since you are making the accusations I shall direct them towards you. If the motion had never been raised this still would have been, supposing I had run the figures which is a consequence of the motion of no confidence. The only way this would not have been, other than it not needing to have been raised, would have been the MoNC passing.

Are you advocating that this government should ignore the law, particularly law passed by the main party of this government? Do you believe that foreign aid should be stripped to the bone? Is there anything your party and government can do that you will not blindly support?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I admit that there is no government which is perfect and it is bound to make a mistake at some point. By saying that I am blindly supporting what my party says is suggesting that Fez has somehow managed to brainwash me and indoctrinate me with his ideas, which is a completely absurd. Furthermore, you are exaggerating what may be a tiny stray away from what is expected. In my opinion, the government is sticking to the law very well.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    I admit that there is no government which is perfect and it is bound to make a mistake at some point. By saying that I am blindly supporting what my party says is suggesting that Fez has somehow managed to brainwash me and indoctrinate me with his ideas, which is a completely absurd. Furthermore, you are exaggerating what may be a tiny stray away from what is expected. In my opinion, the government is sticking to the law very well.
    So by falling 25pc below what their own legislation sets as a minimum spend is following the law well?

And I don't think I've seen you get do anything other than support the party line

Posted from TSR Mobile

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 4, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.