x Turn on thread page Beta

buy a degree... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an email i got sent)
    GET your U N IVERSI T Y D I PL0 M A

Do you want a prosperous future, increased earning power
    more money and the respect of all?

Ca l l this number: 1- 315-546-9663 (24 hours)

There are no required tests, classes, books, or interviews!

Get a B a chelors, Masters, M BA, and D o ctorate (PhD) d i p loma!

Receive the benefits and admiration that comes with a d i ploma!

No one is turned down!

C o nfidentiali t y assured!
    (and it did have all those gaps and stuff in)... and there was me thinking there was a point to doing A levels etc. :rolleyes: and you'd have to be really quite silly to think you can buy a degree

your views..

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    anyone? *wants to buy herself a few letters after her name*

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    Its a joke, the degrees are not degress they are just a peice of paper anybody can print out on a half decent printer. Yet people are so thick to pay for these things. Some of them are fake, there was a scouser faking Liverpool, Salford and Manchester degrees and selling them for £1000 each a few years back, he got cought and had a nice prison sentance.

I am not sure what the degrees will be like on from these spammers but I would imagine it would The University of Oxford, Lucknow, India or somthing.

I am sure no employees would believe them anyway. Us proper students don't need to fear the cheats.

ReputationRep:
    There's websites and allsorts about this type of thing around, load of cobblers though really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    anyone? *wants to buy herself a few letters after her name*

lou xxx
    i'll have one phd please

ReputationRep:
    i also noticed a thing on the sign in page for hotmail advertsising degrees from liverpool... i guess it could have been a genuine advert for the uni tho *is intrigued*

lou xxx

(Original post by Tinykates)
    i'll have one phd please
    I hope you don't mean that in the sense that a guy in friends did once.

ReputationRep:
    i also noticed a thing on the sign in page for hotmail advertsising degrees from liverpool... i guess it could have been a genuine advert for the uni tho *is intrigued*

lou xxx
    I think Liverpool have started offering 'web' degrees which are taught over the internet, I think the advert could have been for one of them. I am sure that was genuine.

I would urge all employees to check candidates with universities though to ensire they are genuine.

ReputationRep:
    I am not condoning fraud or the falsification of qualifications/titles (pretty evident really, or else I certainly wouldn't have bothered with school) but there are some people in this world who do this kind of thing. It isn't as rare as you would think. Just look at that conman by the name of Archer, Cambridge degree my foot - he worked there as a lab techie and then made up all kinds of fallacies.

In addition, I believe the whole honorary degree thing to be a complete farce. *Waits quietly for Mr Wayne Rooney Esq. to receive his honarary doctorate from Liverpool University*

I wouldn't want anything that I haven't studied for - including official state 'honours' - how much taxpayer's money is wasted through this every year?

ReputationRep:
    Honoury degrees are slightly different because we all know its a farse and I don't think they can put the letters after their name.

ReputationRep:
    (and it did have all those gaps and stuff in)... and there was me thinking there was a point to doing A levels etc. :rolleyes: and you'd have to be really quite silly to think you can buy a degree

your views..

lou xxx
    I kept getting hte 'buy a PhD' ones whilst writing my thesis - kinda sould destroying (and strangly almost tempting, anything to releive the intense pain of writing up )

ReputationRep:
    My degree was about the person I have become, buying a piece of paper could not change me in that way. What was that you say, what grade did I get? Oh well, since you ask, it was a 2:1. Yes thank you, Im rather impressed too lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Homegrownkitten)
    My degree was about the person I have become, buying a piece of paper could not change me in that way. What was that you say, what grade did I get? Oh well, since you ask, it was a 2:1. Yes thank you, Im rather impressed too lol
    Exactly if you just have a piece of paper you have not benefited from it in anyway. I have become more confident since going to university as well of learning a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Honoury degrees are slightly different because we all know its a farse and I don't think they can put the letters after their name.
    Even so, those awarded with honarary doctorates can still go around calling themselves Dr. So-and-so, why should they? Quite rightly they shouldn't have an Ed.D,D.Phil, PhD, DBA etc. after their names because they have done bugger all to achieve it.

Quasi-academic awards and honorary titles/awards in general are largely the product of patronage.

I have infinitely more respect for a Doctor through academic qualification than a 'Sir' or a Commander of the Butcher's Empire.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    Even so, those awarded with honarary doctorates can still go around calling themselves Dr. So-and-so, why should they? Quite rightly they shouldn't have an Ed.D,D.Phil, PhD, DBA etc. after their names because they have done bugger all to achieve it.

Quasi-academic awards and honorary titles/awards in general are largely the product of patronage.

I have infinitely more respect for a Doctor through academic qualification than a 'Sir' or a Commander of the Butcher's Empire.
    To be fair you have to achieve a lot to become a sir. Threre are lots of other ways of achieiving greatness, not just degrees. However I agree the honoury degree system is a complete farse and is just used as a marketing gimick for universities.

ReputationRep:
    Its a joke, the degrees are not degress they are just a peice of paper anybody can print out on a half decent printer. Yet people are so thick to pay for these things. Some of them are fake, there was a scouser faking Liverpool, Salford and Manchester degrees and selling them for £1000 each a few years back, he got cought and had a nice prison sentance.

I am not sure what the degrees will be like on from these spammers but I would imagine it would The University of Oxford, Lucknow, India or somthing.

I am sure no employees would believe them anyway. Us proper students don't need to fear the cheats.
    I don't know if you've seen a BA Oxford certificate, but they do look like someones's spent 10 minutes in word and pasted the crest at the top, it wouldn't be hard to fake one aslong as they knew the detail.

ReputationRep:
    To be fair you have to achieve a lot to become a sir.
    It depends on who you are.

A knighthood, by definition, is an establishment title which has been slightly adapted in modern circumstances to adopt a wider meaning. Do you seriously believe that all those awarded titles (including knighthoods) in the New Year's honours list have 'achieved' the 'honour' by making an exceptional contribution to this country and her people?

Without wanting to shame certain persons who I know, if I felt duly compelled to - I could easily show up the honours system to be a shambles by referring to a few living proofs. But I feel no need to mock the honours system, as the media does it for me.

97% of honours come about as a result of patronage.

I would much rather study for a doctorate (or a similarly edifying qualification) than bootlick for a knighthood, but then that's just my personal opinion.

ReputationRep:
    ...Do you seriously believe that all those awarded titles (including knighthoods) in the New Year's honours list have 'achieved' the 'honour' by making an exceptional contribution to this country and her people?...
    Excluding the bulk of celebrities who get honours, then yes. 'Normal' people who get honours must've been quite extraordinary in order to get noticed for honours; thats the point. Unfortunately the system is devalued by high-profile people who dont particularly deserve is being honoured.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dickie)
    Excluding the bulk of celebrities who get honours, then yes. 'Normal' people who get honours must've been quite extraordinary in order to get noticed for honours; thats the point. Unfortunately the system is devalued by high-profile people who dont particularly deserve is being honoured.
    My venom is not targeted at the hoi polloi who receive these titles - I appreciate that it is difficult for a person of parents base of stock to be awarded one.

Look at the honours list, scroll down it and highlight every single establishment lackey that you see on it - then you will understand my point.

ReputationRep:
    My venom is not targeted at the hoi polloi who receive these titles - I appreciate that it is difficult for a person of parents base of stock to be awarded one.

Look at the honours list, scroll down it and highlight every single establishment lackey that you see on it - then you will understand my point.
    Adding "the" before "hoi polloi" classes you as a member, I'm afraid.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.