The Student Room Group

Liverpool (Computing (With a year in industry)) vs Lancaster (Computer Science)

Okay, so I have it down to these two universities/courses. I need help so here is the background information:
-I'm looking for which is the best COURSE which includes a combination of degree prestige (course content) and job prospects.
-I have been told based on my performance of year one at Liverpool that I may be able to move to the Computer Science degree. I have been told this by the by the department leader and the course content for the first year is the EXACT same for year one for all Computer Science Subjects (CS, Software Developments, Computing etc.)

My current disposition is towards Liverpool as it has more Computer Science content than Lancaster although it is "only" a computing degree. However, I want you to argue both points and which one would benefit me in life. I'd really appreciate good answers! Thanks in advance.

P.S - I only want information to do with the course and their benefits. Cost, living and other "human"(lol) factors aren't a factor as I don't mind which university I go to from the living side of things. Liverpool (Computing (With a year in industry)) vs Lancaster (Computer Science) - Fight!
(edited 8 years ago)
Lancaster is generally very well regarded by employers. The course is pretty good in my opinion and I've heard only good things from those who go there. If you do want to do Computer Science, then why go for Computing and hope you do well enough to transfer to CS? Sure, that might push you do to well and work hard, but imagine the worst case scenario, and you will be stuck for 3 years doing a course that you only half-like. Don't be blinded by Liverpool's RG status as in this case it means very little. There are a lot of Non-RG universities that are better than their "superior" RG counterparts, and Lancaster would be one of them. Going by league table statistics, Lancaster is above Liverpool in every single category.
Couldn't agree more with what BlueWolf16 said. I would disagree with OP on "has more Computer
Science content than Lancaster". I can assure you that come second and third year especially you wont be short of CS content. :wink:

Original post by BlueWolf16
Lancaster is generally very well regarded by employers. The course is pretty good in my opinion and I've heard only good things from those who go there. If you do want to do Computer Science, then why go for Computing and hope you do well enough to transfer to CS? Sure, that might push you do to well and work hard, but imagine the worst case scenario, and you will be stuck for 3 years doing a course that you only half-like. Don't be blinded by Liverpool's RG status as in this case it means very little. There are a lot of Non-RG universities that are better than their "superior" RG counterparts, and Lancaster would be one of them. Going by league table statistics, Lancaster is above Liverpool in every single category.
For me, the biggest difference is the year in industry. If you graduate with a straight degree, you are competing against thousands of other grads who have straight degrees. Given the world of work is less about what you know and more of what you can do, having a year under your belt opens so many more doors.

As for prestige - it is so difficult to recruit in the IT world that no one really cares. Sure some companies are looking for red brick candidates, but having interviewed a variety of people from all types of uni, I think discriminating on that level is short sighted.

Seriously - do a year in industry. I did one and it saved my degree. It gives you a break from all the academic b0llocks and puts a perspective on what it is all for. It also gives you a healthy work attitude for your final year.

Good luck!
Building on what ByEeek said, you could try and gain a summer internship in your first summer term (hard) and your second summer term (pretty easy). This provides a chance to experience different working sectors and is an alternative of doing a year in industry.

Original post by ByEeek
For me, the biggest difference is the year in industry. If you graduate with a straight degree, you are competing against thousands of other grads who have straight degrees. Given the world of work is less about what you know and more of what you can do, having a year under your belt opens so many more doors.

As for prestige - it is so difficult to recruit in the IT world that no one really cares. Sure some companies are looking for red brick candidates, but having interviewed a variety of people from all types of uni, I think discriminating on that level is short sighted.

Seriously - do a year in industry. I did one and it saved my degree. It gives you a break from all the academic b0llocks and puts a perspective on what it is all for. It also gives you a healthy work attitude for your final year.

Good luck!
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending