Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am currently in year 12 and studying Art, English, phycology and biology. I don't know what to drop for A level or keep for uni !!
    I really enjoy both English and Art however I wouldn't say I am passionate about Art but it is my best subject. I am really interested in animal care and behavior however not good ar biology. I also enjoy helping others.
    I need help on what to choose for uni as I am struggling to choose between my passion and what I am good at.
    Sorry for the long post
    Thank you soooo much Natashja xx

ReputationRep:
    Hi, in my opinion maybe you should drop the Art subject, like you said you don't see yourself as passionate about it. You say you enjoy english so maybe you can study english at uni and become an english teacher.
    If you don't think you're good at biology but you like the idea of a caring profession there are healthcare courses that you won't need bio for such as adult nursing, child nursing, mental health nursing. With your courses you can thing of going into: Law, Social work, teaching, Psychology, Counselling, Paramedic
    You could also take a look on the UCAS website, just type in the courses you find interesting and look at the entry requirements.

Hopes this helps, good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natashja)
    I am currently in year 12 and studying Art, English, psychology and biology. I don't know what to drop for A level or keep for uni !!
    I really enjoy both English and Art however I wouldn't say I am passionate about Art but it is my best subject. I am really interested in animal care and behavior however not good ar biology. I also enjoy helping others.
    I need help on what to choose for uni as I am struggling to choose between my passion and what I am good at.
    Sorry for the long post
    The two most important things in terms of getting into uni are
    a) getting three good grades
    b) if your subject requires a particular A Level subject, having that

To be honest, it's really hard for us to advise you when we have relatively little information. Have you any idea (or a range ideas) what you might like to do in the future, job wise? Most people don't at this stage, but if you do, please say! Do you do any extra curricular activities that you're really passionate about?

I think you would really benefit from working backwards - think about where you want to be in the future, and then work out what you need to do to get there. It may be that it doesn't really matter whether you study art or biology to A2, so long as you get a good grade in whatever you study.

Start thinking about courses at uni that aren't offered at school or college - there are so many out there. Try having a look at UCAS course search - type in some random things that you are interested in (it could be anything from mental health to shopping) and see what comes up. Given that you're doing English and psychology and you enjoy helping people, then you could think about studying speech and language therapy, for instance (or perhaps mental health nursing?). Alternatively, you could study something like marketing, which will also use those skills e.g. writing copy and designing research surveys.

Don't forget that around 70% of graduate jobs will take people with a degree in any subject - they are looking for the transferable skills that you gain. Whatever you study, there will be opportunities out there.

ReputationRep:
    don't drop art, if it is your best subject. maybe consider a joint honours degree, perhaps psychology with something else? I would advise getting hold of a prospectus or three, and checking what is out there??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    The two most important things in terms of getting into uni are
    a) getting three good grades
    b) if your subject requires a particular A Level subject, having that

To be honest, it's really hard for us to advise you when we have relatively little information. Have you any idea (or a range ideas) what you might like to do in the future, job wise? Most people don't at this stage, but if you do, please say! Do you do any extra curricular activities that you're really passionate about?

I think you would really benefit from working backwards - think about where you want to be in the future, and then work out what you need to do to get there. It may be that it doesn't really matter whether you study art or biology to A2, so long as you get a good grade in whatever you study.

Start thinking about courses at uni that aren't offered at school or college - there are so many out there. Try having a look at UCAS course search - type in some random things that you are interested in (it could be anything from mental health to shopping) and see what comes up. Given that you're doing English and psychology and you enjoy helping people, then you could think about studying speech and language therapy, for instance (or perhaps mental health nursing?). Alternatively, you could study something like marketing, which will also use those skills e.g. writing copy and designing research surveys.

Don't forget that around 70% of graduate jobs will take people with a degree in any subject - they are looking for the transferable skills that you gain. Whatever you study, there will be opportunities out there.

Thank you for your reply !!!
    I'm not sure on what career I want to do yet but to describe my dream job it would working with animals abroad. However I dont know how realistic this is because I am not good at biology.
    My hobbies include rock-climbing ( not that helpful career wise ), photography, reading animal magazines and drawing.
    I dont really want to do a career where i will be working on a computer most of my life so sort of rules graphics out.
    Thank you sooo much for your help and I will definitely check out that website.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sana_Akram)
    Hi, in my opinion maybe you should drop the Art subject, like you said you don't see yourself as passionate about it. You say you enjoy english so maybe you can study english at uni and become an english teacher.
    If you don't think you're good at biology but you like the idea of a caring profession there are healthcare courses that you won't need bio for such as adult nursing, child nursing, mental health nursing. With your courses you can thing of going into: Law, Social work, teaching, Psychology, Counselling, Paramedic
    You could also take a look on the UCAS website, just type in the courses you find interesting and look at the entry requirements.

Hopes this helps, good luck
    Thank you soo much ! I will check out that website

ReputationRep:
    I am currently in year 12 and studying Art, English, phycology and biology. I don't know what to drop for A level or keep for uni !!
    Sorry for the long post
    Sounds like you have a lot going for you !
    I would advice that if you're not great at biology going down the vet route might not be that straight forward (but are you underrating yourself?). It's possible to study animal behaviour however I'm not that sure whether it's possible focus on this at undergraduate level. Perhaps you should ask yourself whether you would be bored by the other bits of a bio course?
    Have you considered sociology? If you're interested in people you might really enjoy it! In sociology, you can study anything imaginable, it's really very open-ended and the findings can bring great real-wolrd value. As a sociologist, you could be employed by a whole range of organisations or businesses to work on very specific topics that interest you.
    Good luck with what you do!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your reply !!!
    I'm not sure on what career I want to do yet but to describe my dream job it would working with animals abroad. However I dont know how realistic this is because I am not good at biology.
    My hobbies include rock-climbing ( not that helpful career wise ), photography, reading animal magazines and drawing.
    I dont really want to do a career where i will be working on a computer most of my life so sort of rules graphics out.
    Thank you sooo much for your help and I will definitely check out that website.
    Working with animals isn't really something that requires a lot of biology, unless you want to get into vet med or some types of research.

One of the key things with getting into working with animals is experience. What are you doing to get experience e.g. are you volunteering at a local city farm, animal shelter etc?

You could consider doing an animal based degree. If I were you I'd look for something that includes a work placement - they do make you much more employable, partly because it gives you the work experience that graduate employers want to see, and partly because it's common for people to be taken on by the organisation they did their placement at. This would be one example https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/courses/u...ur-and-welfare (though not necessarily that one exactly as they do require A Level biology!)

You could consider having a gap year and working / volunteering abroad with animals. WWOOF, helpx.net and workaway.info all have lots of options where you can work abroad or in the UK (usually on a farm) and get bed and board in return (no, none of this nonsense with paying to volunteer! You can go with just the money for your travel and incidentals). That would be a very good way of identifying if you are keen on the reality of working abroad with animals!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Des_Lumières)
    Sounds like you have a lot going for you !
    I would advice that if you're not great at biology going down the vet route might not be that straight forward (but are you underrating yourself?). It's possible to study animal behaviour however I'm not that sure whether it's possible focus on this at undergraduate level. Perhaps you should ask yourself whether you would be bored by the other bits of a bio course?
    Have you considered sociology? If you're interested in people you might really enjoy it! In sociology, you can study anything imaginable, it's really very open-ended and the findings can bring great real-wolrd value. As a sociologist, you could be employed by a whole range of organisations or businesses to work on very specific topics that interest you.
    Good luck with what you do!
    Thank you I think your probably right i would be bored and struggle on some of the parts of the biology on the course. I will look into your suggestions they sound really good !
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    Working with animals isn't really something that requires a lot of biology, unless you want to get into vet med or some types of research.

One of the key things with getting into working with animals is experience. What are you doing to get experience e.g. are you volunteering at a local city farm, animal shelter etc?

You could consider doing an animal based degree. If I were you I'd look for something that includes a work placement - they do make you much more employable, partly because it gives you the work experience that graduate employers want to see, and partly because it's common for people to be taken on by the organisation they did their placement at. This would be one example https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/courses/u...ur-and-welfare (though not necessarily that one exactly as they do require A Level biology!)

You could consider having a gap year and working / volunteering abroad with animals. WWOOF, helpx.net and workaway.info all have lots of options where you can work abroad or in the UK (usually on a farm) and get bed and board in return (no, none of this nonsense with paying to volunteer! You can go with just the money for your travel and incidentals). That would be a very good way of identifying if you are keen on the reality of working abroad with animals!
    Thank you I will check out those websites. I was thinking of volunteering abroad during my summer holiday because at the moment all I have is in the past working in an Guinea Pig shelter.

ReputationRep:
    I attach a link to Swansea University's Human and Health sciences website. If you like helping people these kind of roles may suit you although many require a B at A level Biology
    http://www.swansea.ac.uk/humanandhealthsciences/

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.