Turn on thread page Beta

The official 'student bank accounts' thread watch

Announcements

Hi,

I'll be 21 when I start my OU degree next Feb (DD100) - has anyone had any trouble applying for
    student bank accounts when an OU Student? I've been told by one bank that "we don't allow student
    accounts for students studying with the Open University" which I can't quite beleive.

Any advice much appreciated

Will
    --
    Join the Pingographers http://www.localbounty.com/pingo

I think the idea is that full time students need the support (no grants, living away etc). OU
    students are part timers (no matter how many hours study you do) and most are working, living at
    home etc..

If you look at what the student accounts offer, they are geared up for full timers...

Martin.

"WL" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    [q1]: Hi,[/q1]
    [q1]:[/q1]
    [q1]: I'll be 21 when I start my OU degree next Feb (DD100) - has anyone[/q1]
    had any
    [q1]: trouble applying for student bank accounts when an OU Student? I've[/q1]
    been
    [q1]: told by one bank that "we don't allow student accounts for students[/q1]
    studying
    [q1]: with the Open University" which I can't quite beleive.[/q1]
    [q1]: Any advice much appreciated[/q1]
    [q1]: Will[/q1]
    [q1]: --[/q1]
    [q1]: Join the Pingographers http://www.localbounty.com/pingo[/q1]

On Thu, 18 Apr 2002 00:45:09 +0100, "Mart64" <[email protected]_spam_co.u k> wrote:

[q1]>I think the idea is that full time students need the support (no grants, living away etc). OU[/q1]
    [q1]>students are part timers (no matter how many hours study you do) and most are working, living at[/q1]
    [q1]>home etc..[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>If you look at what the student accounts offer, they are geared up for full timers...[/q1]

What do they offer? I have a student account and I've quite forgotten what good it did me.

nerkul

ReputationRep:
    i use the co-operative bank

http://www.co-operativebank.co.uk/

forget the offers.

try nationwide flex account

Works for me

Dave

"bob nerkul" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    [q1]> On Thu, 18 Apr 2002 00:45:09 +0100, "Mart64" <[email protected]_spam_co.u k> wrote:[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q2]> >I think the idea is that full time students need the support (no grants, living away etc). OU[/q2]
    [q2]> >students are part timers (no matter how many hours study you do) and most are working, living at[/q2]
    [q2]> >home etc..[/q2]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q2]> >If you look at what the student accounts offer, they are geared up for full timers...[/q2]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> What do they offer? I have a student account and I've quite forgotten what good it did me.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> nerkul[/q1]

"Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    [q1]> forget the offers.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> try nationwide flex account[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Works for me[/q1]

Interest free overdraft?

Will
    --

nope. but good rate of interest (via the e-savings thing). "WL" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...
    [q1]> "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...[/q1]
    [q2]> > forget the offers.[/q2]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q2]> > try nationwide flex account[/q2]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q2]> > Works for me[/q2]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Interest free overdraft?[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Will[/q1]
    [q1]> --[/q1]
    [q1]> Join the Pingographers http://www.localbounty.com/pingo[/q1]

Well, mine gave me free banking including a free £1200 overdraft and reduced costs for unauthorised
    loans over the overdraft... letters were cheap and they provided a machine that gave out fivers..
    There was other stuff includinga £35 free start to the account or a mobile phone deal.. The biggest
    issue os the overdraft.. this continues if you do a Masters or PhD after. Very handy.. most MSc or
    Mphil students are not paid - or not much ( I got a reasonalbe bursary luckily) and PhD students
    don't get paid much either. So the overdraft is very handy!!

Martin.

--
    ________________________________ _
    M. Boulger, ([email protected]) Researcher, DISC, Brunel University, UK.

"bob nerkul" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    [q1]: On Thu, 18 Apr 2002 00:45:09 +0100, "Mart64" <[email protected]_spam_co.u k> wrote:[/q1]
    [q1]: >I think the idea is that full time students need the support (no grants, living away etc). OU[/q1]
    [q1]: >students are part timers (no matter[/q1]
    how
    [q1]: >many hours study you do) and most are working, living at home etc..[/q1]
    [q1]: >[/q1]
    [q1]: >If you look at what the student accounts offer, they are geared up[/q1]
    for
    [q1]: >full timers...[/q1]
    [q1]: What do they offer? I have a student account and I've quite[/q1]
    forgotten
    [q1]: what good it did me.[/q1]
    [q1]: nerkul[/q1]

Barclays...

interest free overdraft £1200 (or was when I had one..)

Martin.

--
    ________________________________ _
    M. Boulger, ([email protected]) Researcher, DISC, Brunel University, UK.

"Prashant Meswani" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    [q1]: nope. but good rate of interest (via the e-savings thing). "WL" <[email protected]> wrote[/q1]
    [q1]: in message news:[email protected]...[/q1]
    [q1]: > "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...[/q1]
    [q1]: > > forget the offers.[/q1]
    [q1]: > >[/q1]
    [q1]: > > try nationwide flex account[/q1]
    [q1]: > >[/q1]
    [q1]: > > Works for me[/q1]
    [q1]: > Interest free overdraft?[/q1]
    [q1]: > Will[/q1]
    [q1]: > --[/q1]
    [q1]: > Join the Pingographers http://www.localbounty.com/pingo[/q1]

"Mart64" <[email protected]_spam_co.u k> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    [q1]> Barclays...[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> interest free overdraft £1200 (or was when I had one..)[/q1]

So they were fine with you being an OU student? Is the £1200 overdraft on one of their
    student accounts?

Will
    --

"WL" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    [q1]> "Mart64" <[email protected]_spam_co.u k> wrote in message[/q1]
    [q1]> news:[email protected]...[/q1]
    [q2]> > Barclays...[/q2]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q2]> > interest free overdraft £1200 (or was when I had one..)[/q2]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> So they were fine with you being an OU student? Is the £1200 overdraft on one of their student[/q1]
    [q1]> accounts?[/q1]

I work for them. OU Students should be fine with one of our accounts, and you can have upto £1500
    O/D limit on the account. Just visit your local branch with two forms of ID and some proof that
    you're a student and speak to the Student Business Officer (or if none available, a Personal
    Banker). That should do you fine. Hope this helps.
    --
    Chris

---
    Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
    Version: 6.0.351 / Virus Database: 197 - Release Date: 19/04/02

ReputationRep:
    HSBC ?

Natwest ?

Barclays ?

A.N.Other ?

Who are you going with for your student banking services ?

Obviously UCAS endorce HSBC and Barclays... they've sent us stuff from them. I'm strongly looking at HSBC for the benefits of the 5 Year Railcard.

natwest for the free dosh and big overdraft facility

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Expression)
    HSBC ?

Natwest ?

Barclays ?

A.N.Other ?

Who are you going with for your student banking services ?

Obviously UCAS endorce HSBC and Barclays... they've sent us stuff from them. I'm strongly looking at HSBC for the benefits of the 5 Year Railcard.
    Im probably going to go with natwest or hsbc, but i have been told to wait until fresher fair as all the banks will be there and give you different offers etc.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely HSBC, the railcard makes it worth it , especially as I'll be using the rail network to get to and from uni. I've also been with them for quite a while anyway, so can avoid the hassle of changing.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what student benefits they all offer, but I've always been with HSBC and have always found them to be very helpful, especially when I was having trouble with morons at norwich union who kept taking direct debits they shouldn't.

ReputationRep:
    I am going to wait until I get to uni - some banks have branches in studients unions so I will open an account with one of them when I get there. It is better in a way because the staff who work there will know more about the special student accounts and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    HSBC. Have been with them for years and I can't really be arsed to leave but the railcard is really handy and the money saved on that is more than I'd earn if I went to a bank with higher interest rates.

ReputationRep:
    what is this about HSBC with railcards? Seriously? cool! that'll help if I have to stay home for uni (nightmare!)!

I have an current account with Natwest but I was tricked into getting one..

We had this get fit day at school and Cobra from gladiatiors (remember that show?) came to my school and we all had photos taken with him!

Anyway, after 5 hours of jumping, sit ups, press-up etc the people running the day, sat us all down and told us to fill in this booklet, just so they knew who did attend but....they forms were to set up bank accounts with Natwest!

Everyone recieved these folders full of bank details and helpful tips etc. and cashcards (solo) which we could use in shops.

Some parents were really angry and complained to Natwest and the school. Mine were fair annoyed but said I could keep the account open if I wanted so I did because I had the card.

When I go to Uni, I'm going to set up my account in advance because I have been reading some Uni advice sites and I read that lots of people leave it until the last minute setting up thir accounts, it causes a lot of problems during the first few weeks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonshine)
    When I go to Uni, I'm going to set up my account in advance because I have been reading some Uni advice sites and I read that lots of people leave it until the last minute setting up thir accounts, it causes a lot of problems during the first few weeks.
    I think it causes problems only if you don't already have an account for your student loan to be paid into. With my current account, i'll be ok for a few weeks with that until I get round to getting a proper student one - I have already had to send of my account details to the student loan people so that i can get my loan as quickly as possible.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.