Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ickle_katy)
    lol!!! i think you need to keep it to do lots of things.

love katy ***
    bother .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie)
    bother .
    You've already got it? How long do you have to wait?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    You've already got it? How long do you have to wait?
    you can go as soon as the bank opens.

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    what about the Nationwide bank/building society thing!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ickle_katy)
    you can go as soon as the bank opens.

love Katy ***
    I meant the UCAS confirmation letter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redman2003)
    what about the Nationwide bank/building society thing!!!!

um....ask the daily mail...i just copied it from there!!!

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    I meant the UCAS confirmation letter

im confused!!

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie)
    bother .
    Get the iron out, you'll be fine

whats rbs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered)
    whats rbs?
    Royal Bank of Scotland

I wonder if the Bank of England does student accounts?

ReputationRep:
    what is an authorised overdraft? is that the 1000 pounds or whatever they're advertising?
    then how can they have an interest rate of 9% (or whatever) but be called "interest free" ???? I DONT UNDERSTAND

ReputationRep:
    Nationwide don't appear to do a student account.
    I've had an account with them for 5 years but have had to move to Natwest in order to get a student account>

You get an interest free overdraft, thats the £1000 in the first year etc. afaik the bank will let you have that money for free, being an interest free overdraft (i don't know if that means the interest is actually 0% or capped to inflation rate)...

the authorised overdraft is any amount above that which your bank manager or other competent officer agrees to. For example, you need another £300 on top of the £1000, you ask your bank manager for it, you get that money at 9% or whatever the authorised rate is if he/she agrees, if you just take the money out without consent, this is an unauthorised overdraft, and will cost you the unauthorised rate, usually about %20, often there is also a fine for exceeding the credit limit on your account in the region of around £30.

ReputationRep:
    I've just been yesterday to set up my student bank account. I was considering doing it at the HSBC (which I'm with already), but they don't have a lot of interest on the credit which is something that is obviously important. So I had a look around and I've opened one with the Halifax which has quite a bit of interest on credit and a larger interest free overdraft, plus switch card/cheque book and the usual things you get with a bank acct. They also have the option of a visa card, but I don't want that because it's too tempting to spend it.

ReputationRep:
    You've been reading the Daily Telegraph, Katy!!! (Or was it the Sunday Times - I don't remember!)

I'm going to get my Dad to help me - I'm not very clued up on all the banking terms and stuff, so he'll be able to help me choose the best one (I'm still tempted by the HSBC Railcard offer though).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chicken)
    You've been reading the Daily Telegraph, Katy!!! (Or was it the Sunday Times - I don't remember!)

I'm going to get my Dad to help me - I'm not very clued up on all the banking terms and stuff, so he'll be able to help me choose the best one (I'm still tempted by the HSBC Railcard offer though).

lol give me some credit!!! it was the daily mail actually!!

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    Hmm... I've found the card I want for university, although I don't think there's much chance I'll get it :

Known as the American Express 'Black Card' or 'Centurion', you get an unlimited credit limit! You could go out and buy a multi-million pound house with it :eek:. Only problem is that it's invitation only , doesn't look like I have much chance.

Also has loads of perks and benefits like free upgrades on Concorde (although I don't think that's flying anymore, is it?)!

ReputationRep:
    which student bank account is the best? (I'd like free stuff like railcards). Also, can you register with more than one bank?

ReputationRep:
    http://money.msn.co.uk/Student/Banki...unts2003Table/

The link compares some of the most popular banks.
    You can have 2 bank accounts, but only one student account. Most (if not all) will check that your loan money is paid ointo that one. If it isn't, they'll cancel your account and probably want to do you for fraud. Well, maybe not, but it's illegal anyhow. Most (again, probably all) have a clause stating that theirs must be the only student account you have.

(Original post by Grotbag)
    http://money.msn.co.uk/Student/Banki...unts2003Table/

The link compares some of the most popular banks.
    You can have 2 bank accounts, but only one student account. Most (if not all) will check that your loan money is paid ointo that one. If it isn't, they'll cancel your account and probably want to do you for fraud. Well, maybe not, but it's illegal anyhow. Most (again, probably all) have a clause stating that theirs must be the only student account you have.
    You can have more than 1, you just need to pay atleast £500 into each or they will be closed.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.