Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    how many are you allowed to have?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scorpio)
    As many as you like but they prefer you have one in their terms and conditions. Look in the threads at the bottom for more information.

(Original post by scorpio)
    depends on how much money you've got i'd imagine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mattyk)
    depends on how much money you've got i'd imagine
    Its true that you may not receive all the benefits of a bank account if you do not depsoit an X amount of money in to begin with. Eg Abbey Nation will not allow the full overdraft until you have deposited over £500 from when you opened your account.

ReputationRep:
    some of the banks get funny if you've got more than 1 student account. Read the small print.Eg some will close your account if there isn't regular payments being made.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emom100)
    some of the banks get funny if you've got more than 1 student account. Read the small print.Eg some will close your account if there isn't regular payments being made.
    Don't some require you to pay your student loan into them - you can hardly pay this into more than one account.

ReputationRep:
    Most people are just about to start at uni now, so I expect everyones (nearly) got their student bank accounts sorted out.

My question is: is everyone with HSBC? It seems like it from some of the posts. Also if your with HSBC - did you take the money or the railcard, and why did you go with them in the first place?

ReputationRep:
    Nope, my account is with Abbey National.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    Nope, my account is with Abbey National.
    Mine too.

Ben

ReputationRep:
    i am with lloyds TSB

ReputationRep:
    im with natwest.

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ickle_katy)
    im with natwest.

love Katy ***
    me to, natwest, £55 will buy me lots of kettles and toasters etc

ReputationRep:
    hehe, and theres a branch just outside the door to my hall- so i dont even have to go far when im skint!!

love Katy ***
    • Answer Heroes
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Answer Heroes
    PS Reviewer
    I was with natwest for my first yr at uni (before they gave the automatic overdraft)...left them as soon as I realised they thought having the most handy cashpoints was a decent substitute for good customer service.

Been with HSBC ever since (1998). Their graduate account is great (including the graduate mortgage which lets you borrow 4 times your income (if you want to)).

I've still got £500 of interest free overdraft left and on the £500-£1250 overdraft I pay not a lot of interest at all (works out at about £1 max a month)...they've said they will never remove my overdraft - just the interest free sections (although I will be asking them to start shrinking it once I start paying it off after christmas - which will be when my credit card debt (4 yrs of uni + 9 months of temping and paying for a mortgage) will be cleared).

Their internet banking is also good (very easy to transfer money between accounts/pay bills/set up standing orders etc etc).

I took the money but then I was driving the 70 mile round trip to uni everyday once I got into my second yr (of course, 3rd yr of uni). The railcard would have been good if I'd got it when I opened the natwest account as I would have got a good 2 yrs use out of it then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loftx)
    Most people are just about to start at uni now, so I expect everyones (nearly) got their student bank accounts sorted out.

My question is: is everyone with HSBC? It seems like it from some of the posts. Also if your with HSBC - did you take the money or the railcard, and why did you go with them in the first place?
    I already have a savings and current account with the Abbey National (and have been a customer for about 10 years) so I decided to ask about their student account, and they couldn't tell me anything becuase they didn't know. So then I started looking at other banks, and there was an article in the newspaper about different student accounts. I decided to go with the HSBC because of the low interest rates on authorised and un-authorised overdraft (much lower in comparison to some of the other banks). I also chose them because they have a branch in my student union, which means if I ever have a problem, it'll be quick and easy to sort out.

I took the railcard, mainly because my room at uni is mine for the whole year (ie September 03 - June 04) so I don't have to clear it out during the holidays. Therefore its not worth my parents trekking 3 and a half hours to come and collect me, when I will only have clothes and a few bits to bring home, so getting the train is a far easier option. Plus by the time I have used my railcard 3 times, I'll have saved £50 near enough anyway so I may as well have it!!

ReputationRep:
    Can I ask something about Nat West if you bank with them can you bank with other Student Bank Accounts aswell?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MurphysMoment.)
    Can I ask something about Nat West if you bank with them can you bank with other Student Bank Accounts aswell?
    I don't see why not - its not as if they would know unless you specifically told them. Just make sure you don't keep using all the overdraft and finding you can't pay it all back at the end of Uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MurphysMoment.)
    It's not all that clear cut - I was told I had to close my old current account at another bank to open on at my new one. But if i hadn't told them would they ever have known?

In theory as long as it's not against your accounts T&C you can have as many accounts as you like - however if on the application form they asked you if you had another account and you didn't put anything down, that would be illegal (I think).

ReputationRep:
    With HSBC you have to sign that they will be your only student account.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squirrel)
    With HSBC you have to sign that they will be your only student account.
    Wouldn't that be the same for most banks though?

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.