Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i was wondering if any of you have ever tried to buy train tickets for like a holiday and when you try to book them they keep saying to ring back in a couple of days, or that there are no trains available for that date (when there are!) ive had about 3 different price quotes as well now!

bloody train people, aye!

:mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparkler)
    i was wondering if any of you have ever tried to buy train tickets for like a holiday and when you try to book them they keep saying to ring back in a couple of days, or that there are no trains available for that date (when there are!) ive had about 3 different price quotes as well now!

UK Trains ?

Inter-Railing ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparkler)

not had problems getting tickets- but some places are definately cheaper. there is a travel company in my town and they are so cheap, my brother got a return tcket to london for 2 weeks time for less than £15 (apparently it was some student offer, without his railcard it would have been £100+). you just have to shop around.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    A return ticket from north wales to cardiff cost me £30 and my sister paid £15 for return to chester and back to north wals. I thought train tickets cost the same amount no matter where you got them from?!?!oh well.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, generally train tickets are the same as the prices are set by the train company.

Check out www.thetrainline.com for tickets. I always use it and haven't had any problems so far.

ReputationRep:
    Where you buy the tickets generaly isn't an issue its when. Some tickets - SVR, virgin value, Gner equlivanet, advanced perchase need doing up to a week in advance. The most expensive option is the SOR - standard opne return with full flexibility, for exame £100+ to Leeds SOR, but only £35 Gner saver.
    Book well in advance and you can also get good deals on first class- worth the extra for a long jouney over about 2.5 hours - IMO. Although railcard are not valid on first class tickets - excpet Virgin Value first.
    Trvaleing at weekends gives th option for a weekend irst upgrade - £20 aprox.
    If you said what jouney this was for, I could give you some better advice - as sometmies a combination of ticekts works out cheaper than a single - although it shouldn't really.

ReputationRep:
    As well as booking in advance, which will get you the tickets cheaper, if you fix the times of the trains you're going on, you can get them cheaper as well. Like someone above said, try www.thetrainline.com for tickets - they're really good, and there's an option to use a young person's railcard on there too.

ReputationRep:
    people people! do you not think i have tried these websites?!

they have the option to book £34 or £41 tickets but, NOOOO, they arent available are they? dammit!! we'll be bloody walking down there at this rate!

i dunno!! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    What time, date and route are you travelling? Also do you have a railcard? If you're booking at the last minute then the cheap tickets may be all sold out. Likewise there's only a limited amount of cheap tickets- it may simply be that they've sold all of them leaving only expensive tickets.

Personally, I'd be impressed if you could beat the trainline.com for prices. It's normally the cheapest and if they say that a ticket is unavailable then it generally is. Buying a walkup ticket will be more expensive regardless, so it is advisable to prebook if you can anyway.

ReputationRep:
    ok people - have any of you travelled on a national express coach for a long journey (5/6 hours)??

no more train tickets available so we have to catch a bus - dammit! there better not be traffic jams!!!!

ok, so, they dont have tables between the seats do they? i've seen some buses like that anyway! and regarding luggage - it says you can take 2 medium sized suitcases worth 20kg each. does that mean i could take one larger suitase instead???

help me again please!!!!

[edit]ok, just read that large luggage cannot be carried! grrr! i'll email them asking how large is large. buses suck![/edit]

ReputationRep:
    5-6 hrs isn't a long journey. Also, what route are you travelling? It's extremely, extremely rare for a train to be totally full, even if you have to stand (I've taken trains with first great western that you have to stand on until Reading). This is as long as there's not a compulsory reservation policy in place (this mostly affects trains for football matches). What's probably happened for you is that you're trying to take an early morning train, or that they've sold out of cheaper tickets- I can guarantee that they'll still have open tickets available.

National express coaches aren't too bad, but they aren't as good as trains (and are often more expensive if you have a railcard). Most of them don't have tables though, also big suitcases won't be allowed onboard (although this is at the discretion of the driver, besides 20kg per person is enough for at least 2-3 weeks).

ReputationRep:
    5 to 6 hours is a long journey for me!!!! i got tickets for the bus now anyway - £40

the only train tickets available were £65 - no way was i paying that! i was struggling to say yes to the bus tickets!

oh well - all sorted now - just pray for me that there are no traffic jams!!!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.